E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Replacing Camshaft VANOS Solenoid



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #111
TheTal0n
Captain
TheTal0n's Avatar
21
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

So I can use MAF cleaner, Or strictly just compressed air? I read through all the pages and im a little confused.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #112
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
So I can use MAF cleaner, Or strictly just compressed air? I read through all the pages and im a little confused.
I used MAF cleaner
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #113
TheTal0n
Captain
TheTal0n's Avatar
21
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I used MAF cleaner
Howd it work out for you..? im hoping to get this done tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #114
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
Howd it work out for you..? im hoping to get this done tomorrow!
Worked great, just spray and yiu will see the liquid come out (oily in color) spray until the liquid runs dry....you will know what I mean when you do it!blet dry a hour and re-install.
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #115
TheTal0n
Captain
TheTal0n's Avatar
21
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
Worked great, just spray and yiu will see the liquid come out (oily in color) spray until the liquid runs dry....you will know what I mean when you do it!blet dry a hour and re-install.
nice! but the MAF cleaner seems to evaporate almost immediately?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #116
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
nice! but the MAF cleaner seems to evaporate almost immediately?
thst is actually a good thing about it...just spray until runs clear and then it dries fast.
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:53 AM   #117
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

I just went through the DIY and decided to clean my solenoids before replacing them. The problem was that under WOT it would occasionally/usually give me the yellow dashboard light which was described in the manual as "engine malfunction with adverse effect on emissions". So i removed both solenoids, cleaned them, and put them back on, but this time i put the exhaust solenoid in the intake hole and vice versa to see if it made a difference. When i started the car, everything seemed to be fine at the beginning so i took it to a test drive and after about 2 minutes of occasionally flooring it, the yellow light came on again and stayed on. Now it's always on. Quite terrifying. Any ideas guys?
Oh and my car is an lci 325i.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #118
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Okay so now i switched them back to their original positions and the problem persists. Yellow light constantly on even when i've just started the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:35 AM   #119
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reio View Post
Okay so now i switched them back to their original positions and the problem persists. Yellow light constantly on even when i've just started the car.
turn car off, disconnect battery for a hour or so and see if this fixes it...if not dealer it or replace both.
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #120
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Disconnecting the battery didn't work. Still getting the EML light. Will probably take it to a dealer to check soon. But do you really think replacing the solenoids will work? I can't imagine how the existing solenoids might have come to be defective. Perhaps i cleaned them wrong. I dipped the tip of the solenoids in gasoline and wooshed them around a little bit, let it dry off and put them back on. I read that technique in another diy and seemed logical. Maybe i should try and clean them again with MAF cleaner? I wonder if there's anything else that could be faulty besides the solenoids?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #121
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reio View Post
Disconnecting the battery didn't work. Still getting the EML light. Will probably take it to a dealer to check soon. But do you really think replacing the solenoids will work? I can't imagine how the existing solenoids might have come to be defective. Perhaps i cleaned them wrong. I dipped the tip of the solenoids in gasoline and wooshed them around a little bit, let it dry off and put them back on. I read that technique in another diy and seemed logical. Maybe i should try and clean them again with MAF cleaner? I wonder if there's anything else that could be faulty besides the solenoids?
gasoline??? Try MAF cleaner...spray until it runs clear.
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #122
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, just finished trying that. Cleaned with crc maf cleaner extensively. Now i put the solenoids back on and the yellow light was on immediately after turning on the car. Not sure if the engine was acting any different though. I dare not take it for a drive to find out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #123
robc1976
DIYER
robc1976's Avatar
263
Rep
5,534
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reio View Post
Yeah, just finished trying that. Cleaned with crc maf cleaner extensively. Now i put the solenoids back on and the yellow light was on immediately after turning on the car. Not sure if the engine was acting any different though. I dare not take it for a drive to find out.
Do you have a tune you can get the codes it us throwing? Is your oil in you car full?
__________________
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #124
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately i don't have anything with which to read fault codes. The computer says the oil level is ok. It was last changed about 5000 kilometers ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #125
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Okay so i have some new information. I took it for a short test trive around the block, since the engine seemed normal while idling and everything was okay, the acceleration the sound, even at WOT at low rpm. Before i cleaned my solenoids it started to stutter at WOT like power/no power very rapidly. Now it seemes okay. Another interesting thing is that the yellow light comes on even when i just turn on the ignition and not the engine. All the lights come on, then all go off except for the yellow engine light.

Now i did another test drive and it's really weird again. Stutters constantly, especially at low rpm. Perhaps a cylinder misfire? Gonna take it for diagnostics on monday.

Last edited by Reio; 09-28-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #126
TheTal0n
Captain
TheTal0n's Avatar
21
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

Did you guys use an extension or something to get the nut off the solenoid, non of my tools are fitting just right to move my hand. time to go to autozone
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #127
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reio View Post
Okay so i have some new information. I took it for a short test trive around the block, since the engine seemed normal while idling and everything was okay, the acceleration the sound, even at WOT at low rpm. Before i cleaned my solenoids it started to stutter at WOT like power/no power very rapidly. Now it seemes okay. Another interesting thing is that the yellow light comes on even when i just turn on the ignition and not the engine. All the lights come on, then all go off except for the yellow engine light.

Now i did another test drive and it's really weird again. Stutters constantly, especially at low rpm. Perhaps a cylinder misfire? Gonna take it for diagnostics on monday.
Mine did that, was the valvetronic motor 166 +vat main dealer.. 2 hour job plus new gasket 397 inc vat
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #128
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

I took it to a local garage today. The diagnostics showed a misfire had occured on cylinder 2. Unfortunately i forgot to ask for the excact code. They deleted to error code to see if it made a difference and when i took it for a test drive it seemed ok again for a while so i decided to leave it at that until there was a problem again. So driving back from the garage the light came up again at hard acceleration. What's interesting though is that now it disappears after restarting the car but before i had the fault code deleted, the light came up immediately after starting the car absolutely every time. I wonder if it could really be the valvetronic motor? I also found some sort of fix for a common fault in with the valvetronic motor: http://mhhauto.com/printthread.php?tid=1744
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #129
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
Did you guys use an extension or something to get the nut off the solenoid, non of my tools are fitting just right to move my hand. time to go to autozone
I used a regular 10mm socket wrench with an extension.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #130
Reio
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 325i e90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Estonia

iTrader: (0)

Turns out it was just a faulty coil on cylinder 2. They will replace it on monday at the main dealer. Goes under a general recall warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #131
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3573
Rep
20,166
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Nice DIY! So... what role do you guys think BMW's long OCI plays? IF any?

These VANOS Solenoids aren't that expensive - if one needs to replace them. ~$130ish.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #132
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
42
Rep
2,599
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
I swapped/cleanned my vanos a few weeks ago along with an injector cleaner (Chevron) fill and my car's idle is very smooth now. Not sure if was due to the vanos swap or the injector cleaning...either way I am happy with results. Next is task is changing spark plugs.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST