E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW dealer DAB



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
gangzoom
Major
13

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester


Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (0)

The Pure 300Di DAB add on can be wired into the 'aux' port. At 150-170 is much cheaper than any other options I looked at since it also give you MP3/USB interface. But even with a powered extern aerial the DAB reception is OK at the best of times, and often useless on M ways. For the last 2 months haven't used DAB once, the USB function is good though.

Last edited by gangzoom; 10-06-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #24
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
16

 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth


Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
The Pure 300Di DAB add on can be wired into the 'aux' port. At 150-170 is much cheaper than any other options I looked at since it also give you MP3/USB interface. But even with a powered extern aerial the DAB reception is OK at the best of times, and often useless on M ways. For the last 2 months haven't used DAB once, the USB function is good though.
I found the opposite to be true. For me it's fine on the motorway but bad around town. Of course amongst other things it also depends on what you are listening to. Most of the stations are fine in Bournemouth but Planet Rock reception is rubbish. The reason for this turns out to be cost. Planet Rock only broadcasts on 2 of the 3 local transmitters to save money.

I tested DAB in a Focus ST and it was superb thanks to the big long antenna on the roof.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
IanS100
Colonel
United Kingdom
30

 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK


Posts: 2,614
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
I found the opposite to be true. For me it's fine on the motorway but bad around town. Of course amongst other things it also depends on what you are listening to. Most of the stations are fine in Bournemouth but Planet Rock reception is rubbish. The reason for this turns out to be cost. Planet Rock only broadcasts on 2 of the 3 local transmitters to save money.

I tested DAB in a Focus ST and it was superb thanks to the big long antenna on the roof.
What type of antenna are you using? I don't like the external windscreen mount one that comes with it!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #26
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
33

 
BanziBarn's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London


Posts: 1,789
iTrader: (0)

When does analogue turn off? Won't we all need this at some point?
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
Hopeful
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2

 
Drives: BMW 330D E91 2010
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dorset


Posts: 157
iTrader: (0)

Last I heard 2015 was a possibility but there's no firm date. Ed Vaizey said
''I am not setting a date. The industry believes 2015 is an achievable target date and we will work to support that ambition. And when the weight of public opinion is behind it, with more than half of all radio listening digital, then we can take the decision on when the country will be ready for switchover.''
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
IanS100
Colonel
United Kingdom
30

 
IanS100's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK


Posts: 2,614
iTrader: (0)

A 2015 proposed switch off yet manufacturers are still selling cars without DAB, meaning that in 2015 2 & 3 year old cars could be left without any reception - MAD!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
33

 
BanziBarn's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London


Posts: 1,789
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
A 2015 proposed switch off yet manufacturers are still selling cars without DAB, meaning that in 2015 2 & 3 year old cars could be left without any reception - MAD!
Totally. I'd almost think that within the warranty period, if they switch off analogue the manufacturer should install DAB free of charge because after all, a radio with no way of receiving a signal is as good as a broken radio.
__________________
Black 330d E90 LCI M Sport Saloon Auto. Privacy Glass, Cream Leather, 6FL, I-Drive/Nav/Bluetooth, Alpine hifi upgrade.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #30
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
16

 
Boyd1963's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 320d e92
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bournemouth


Posts: 1,301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
What type of antenna are you using? I don't like the external windscreen mount one that comes with it!
I've got factory fitted DAB in my current car so the signal is picked up by the aerial on the rear windscreen.

In my previous car where I had an after market DAB I used to use a magnetic aerial that I got from dabonwheels. This worked exceptionally well when mounted on my boot lid but was a bit unsightly. I therefore usually just stuck it upside down in the boot and his worked pretty well most of the time.

My honest opinion is that if you want consistently good DAB reception you need an external aerial.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #31
Sparks69
Enlisted Member
2

 
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Taunton UK


Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

I've fitted the Alpine Ezi-DAB (275 fitted) to my E91 which is similar to the Pure Highway 300 but uses an internal windscreen mounted aerial. Overall works well plus gives you ipod/usb connectivity!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST