E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My first BMW, in desperate need of explanation on water pump operation!!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Unhappy My first BMW, in desperate need of explanation on water pump operation!!!

Hello folks, what a pleasure to finally own my first bmw its a 2008 335xi, and first problem as soon as I got the car: overheating issue, motor runs excellent, however when the operating temp is reached the pump will not operate, already replaced pump and thermostat, got one fault stored in DME: 2e84 no communication with the water pump, what are the common fixes? Can anyone describe operation of the fuse block on top of the battery since I heard its related to the water pump, Help me get back on the road! thanks!
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
nightops
Lieutenant
nightops's Avatar
6
Rep
472
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles- Westside

iTrader: (2)

i'm guessing your out of warranty- thats kind of major hope you dont drive it while its overheating. did you check the fuse for the water pump (assuming there is one). could there possibly be an electrical connection to the water pump that isnt connected all the way or improperly? also is the thermostat working ok? if that fails it may be worth it to bring it to an independent or dealer for diagnostic, electronics on this car are intimidating to say the least
...gl
__________________
335i Space Grey Coupe/ppk/ssk/pe exhaust/perf susp
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nequik15 View Post
Hello folks, what a pleasure to finally own my first bmw its a 2008 335xi, and first problem as soon as I got the car: overheating issue, motor runs excellent, however when the operating temp is reached the pump will not operate, already replaced pump and thermostat, got one fault stored in DME: 2e84 no communication with the water pump, what are the common fixes? Can anyone describe operation of the fuse block on top of the battery since I heard its related to the water pump, Help me get back on the road! thanks!
Could you have left the temp sensor on the water pump off? If so there woould be "no communication" There is a plug that is attached to the WP that needs to be plugged in well. Also the ground for the WP is just in front an dto the driver side of the pump. If it is loose or disconnected it too would result in "no communication".
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
I would say the connection wires for the t state is not plugged.
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Could you have left the temp sensor on the water pump off? If so there woould be "no communication" There is a plug that is attached to the WP that needs to be plugged in well. Also the ground for the WP is just in front an dto the driver side of the pump. If it is loose or disconnected it too would result in "no communication".
Temp sensor? I believe there is only one four pin connector to the pump that is plugged in. The ground is the wire that is towards the front of vehicle near the pump? it seemed tight
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
i'm guessing your out of warranty- thats kind of major hope you dont drive it while its overheating. did you check the fuse for the water pump (assuming there is one). could there possibly be an electrical connection to the water pump that isnt connected all the way or improperly? also is the thermostat working ok? if that fails it may be worth it to bring it to an independent or dealer for diagnostic, electronics on this car are intimidating to say the least
...gl

Yep the 50Amp fuse in the DME box is there and is good
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

Here is a copy of the Cooling System Electrical connections from the Bentley manual. See if this helps you. I would check continuity of these connections.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #8
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

thanks for the schematic!
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Will try to do the pin out test tmrw, going to post results
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
nikitino25
Lieutenant
nikitino25's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
539
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (2)

How do you check the coolant temp and or know it's overheating?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #11
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
92
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
How do you check the coolant temp and or know it's overheating?
With Inpa, performance wheel, bt cable or the hidden menu. when overheating you get a light and reduce power .
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
import36's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,438
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i MT, E46 M3 SMG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seven Cities

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i Coupe  [4.50]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
hey Nequick...got your pm. i would definitely check the continuity as mentioned above....make sure the pump is actually getting power down there. i had issues twice...first time i needed the thermo and pump replaced. the second time....the problem ended up being a faulty power distribution block(on top of the batter in the back). it caused an inline fuse to blow which cut power to the pump. unfortunately i don't have any more detail than that...
__________________
Mods: Procede Rev3 9-10|AE Catless Dual Exhaust|AR Design Catless DPs|AMS FMIC|Stett Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV|Stett CAI|BMS OCC|BMS CDV|Volk TE37 SLs|KW V2 Coilovers|Cusco OS Strut Brace|Macht Schnell Stud Conversion|Work RS-R Lugnuts|Gloss Black Roof|Matte Black Kidney Grills|UED Lower Bumper Grills|OEM Aero Lip and Painted Reflectors|M3 Sideskirts| VRS Decklid Aero Spoiler|Gloss Black Roof|M Peformance Alcantara Steering Wheel(blue)|OSS V2.0 LED Angel Eyes|8000k HID Fog Lights|8000k MTEC Xenons
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Also check the ground wire from the pump to the front timing case cover. There is a short ground wire that terminates to a ring terminal on the front of the engine block.

The power for the water pump comes right from the top of the battery junction block as stated above. Check all the battery junction block connections. Some are snap-in, some are 13mm nuts.

My thermostat connection (MAP Cooling) wires have been hitting the subframe during hard acceleration. I had to de-pin the connector and put moisture seal heat shrink around it to protect them from hitting the subframe. It looks like the orange power wire (0.5mm) from the Junction Box (fuse 78 or 37 depending on your build date) powers the electronics in the water pump AND the MAP cooling in the thermostat. If that wire shorted to the subframe, it will pop the fuse.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
Also check the ground wire from the pump to the front timing case cover. There is a short ground wire that terminates to a ring terminal on the front of the engine block.

The power for the water pump comes right from the top of the battery junction block as stated above. Check all the battery junction block connections. Some are snap-in, some are 13mm nuts.

My thermostat connection (MAP Cooling) wires have been hitting the subframe during hard acceleration. I had to de-pin the connector and put moisture seal heat shrink around it to protect them from hitting the subframe. It looks like the orange power wire (0.5mm) from the Junction Box (fuse 78 or 37 depending on your build date) powers the electronics in the water pump AND the MAP cooling in the thermostat. If that wire shorted to the subframe, it will pop the fuse.
Great info!
Where is that 78 or 33 fuse located?
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

What is your build date?
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
What is your build date?
It's 10/07
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Fuse 37 in the Junction Box. It will be behind the glove box. You don't have to remove the glove box, just empty it and remove the black divider at the back of the box. There will be a small card you can unfold and find the position of fuse 37.

If the fuse is OK, you may have a bad wire or some other problem between the pump and the DME harness. The DME communicates to the pump with a short digital signal to tell the pump how fast to run. With just power to the pump, it will run at a default slow speed. The DME signal then tells the module in the pump how fast it needs to run. There may be a fault on that line, a bad connector, or something else causing the communication to fail.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
Fuse 37 in the Junction Box. It will be behind the glove box. You don't have to remove the glove box, just empty it and remove the black divider at the back of the box. There will be a small card you can unfold and find the position of fuse 37.

If the fuse is OK, you may have a bad wire or some other problem between the pump and the DME harness. The DME communicates to the pump with a short digital signal to tell the pump how fast to run. With just power to the pump, it will run at a default slow speed. The DME signal then tells the module in the pump how fast it needs to run. There may be a fault on that line, a bad connector, or something else causing the communication to fail.
Hey thanks for the great help M3m5 will check power at the connector and report with findings !
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #19
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Alright, so looks like I was able to isolate the problem found no power at the f07 fuse proceeded with checking power from battery, found power at the wire from battery fuse block to the wire running to under hood, however no power found at the under hood, thus faulty wiring under the car, going to stealer tommorrow.
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
24
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

If you've gone this far, why take it to the most expensive repair shop on the planet? A good independent shop should do a good job repairing the wiring harness for a lot less. The dealer may say you need a new wiring harness - no repairs. They're weird like that.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Nesquik15
Private First Class
Nesquik15's Avatar
No_Country
1
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United states

iTrader: (1)

Well James come to find out the fuse on top of the battery was partially melted, so I used another free slot to plug in the connector and all is ok now!
__________________
2008 335XI//JB4 G5 ISO//AFE STG2 INTAKE//M6 18"//BLACKED OUT TAILS//BLACKED OUT TRIM//
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST