E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog This Week It Looks Like It Is About Bmw



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #353
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
foxy-stoat's Avatar
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 320 E91
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sussex

iTrader: (0)

Do you think a re-mapped ecu will be same after the "security" software has been installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:01 AM   #354
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,201
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
^^^^
Thats the bottom line.
No matter what BMW does, those who are eligible for 'enhancement' should go for it.
Otherwise your insurance can be seen void in case if your car is stolen.
Really? I know about this problem because I've been on the internet. I didn't watch the program on the BBC. If I didn't go no the internet and didn't watch the TV program how would I know my car needs a security update?

BMW hasn't issued a "Recall", they have not contacted me or made me aware of any problem with the car, unless they do I'm not taking my car into BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #355
mv57
First Lieutenant
mv57's Avatar
6
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
^^^^
Thats the bottom line.
No matter what BMW does, those who are eligible for 'enhancement' should go for it.
Otherwise your insurance can be seen void in case if your car is stolen.
Really? I know about this problem because I've been on the internet. I didn't watch the program on the BBC. If I didn't go no the internet and didn't watch the TV program how would I know my car needs a security update?

BMW hasn't issued a "Recall", they have not contacted me or made me aware of any problem with the car, unless they do I'm not taking my car into BMW.
Agreed. Most people at my place of work do not know about the issue.
__________________
E92 320d M Sport, titanium silver, auto,

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #356
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
6
Rep
355
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South

iTrader: (0)

Will this be a full software update or just a small element instead? If the latter there may be an opportunity to get the full software upgraded for a relativley nominal amount as the machine will already be plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #357
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
TripleBlack's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
346
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Really? I know about this problem because I've been on the internet. I didn't watch the program on the BBC. If I didn't go no the internet and didn't watch the TV program how would I know my car needs a security update?

BMW hasn't issued a "Recall", they have not contacted me or made me aware of any problem with the car, unless they do I'm not taking my car into BMW.
Understand that some insurance companies have gone throught the 'effort' of contacting some of us about this issue. They wouldnt have done so unless they had an underlying plan.
Now they have advised us, if with dont follow suit, we could be liable under some small print.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #358
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Really? I know about this problem because I've been on the internet. I didn't watch the program on the BBC. If I didn't go no the internet and didn't watch the TV program how would I know my car needs a security update?

BMW hasn't issued a "Recall", they have not contacted me or made me aware of any problem with the car, unless they do I'm not taking my car into BMW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv57 View Post
Agreed. Most people at my place of work do not know about the issue.

If your insurance companies write to you, you will then have to go for this update.
Same applies if BMW writes to you (have a laugh).

Rest up to you, whether you know this or not, whether you watched the BBC watchdog or not, whether you were proactive enough or not.

Let this update launched and wait how insurance companies respond to it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #359
mv57
First Lieutenant
mv57's Avatar
6
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

If your insurance company contacts you then yes the t and c's have changed. But if not can they go down the route of ignorance is no excuse?

I am yet to receive any info from anyone other than local council warning of BMW thefts in the area. Don't get me wrong I'm on the list. But to all those I work with. It seems there are a lot out there that are oblivious.
__________________
E92 320d M Sport, titanium silver, auto,

E9X Picture game / 5 MPH / double bhp / The Beatles zebra crossing / Gordon Ramsays restaurant / Michelin star /
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #360
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Another rather depressing story,and still no sign of BMW doing anything,despite their assurance on Watchdog that a fix was on the way.

This M3 was broken into via the lock,no broken window,just a blade inserted into the lock,and after some careful manoeuvres of the blade,the car unlocks in much the same way as hitting the unlock button on your fob!




__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #361
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

I had made some enquires about the BMW security 'upgrade' as I expected it to be some smoke and mirrors bullshit - I forgot to post them up!

Via a reputable Indy with several main dealer contacts, the technical explanation of the upgrade is as below:

"Basically the software update is deleting the function of being able to open the windows via the drivers door lock (putting key blade into the barrel to open windows) due to car thieves drilling/breaking the door barrel to then drop the windows with a screwdriver.

Regarding the alarm issue, when the windows are down the interior alarm sensors change to a narrower beam(!). Because of this once the thieves lower the windows via the door lock the alarm sensors change to a narrow beam allowing the thieves to gain access to the OBD without the alarm going off and being able to make a new key"


This seems to confirm shortie's post 347 about the same.

What do you think? sounds like they're making something of nothing to take the heat off them, and its certainly not going to stop OBD robberies in any way as there is no change to the CAN/OBD/CAS system.

All smoke and mirrors then! So BMW can say "we dealt with it" and tick that box. Did anyone really honestly think they would fix it just like that? If they could do it properly without hardware changes they would have done it by now. So it looks like we're all f##ked!
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!

Last edited by doughboy; 10-16-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #362
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant
TripleBlack's Avatar
United Kingdom
3
Rep
346
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Regarding the alarm issue, when the windows are down the interior alarm sensors change to a narrower beam(!). Because of this once the thieves lower the windows via the door lock the alarm sensors change to a narrow beam allowing the thieves to gain access to the OBD without the alarm going off and being able to make a new key"
That "response" doesnt cover smashed windows then which seems to be the main access point
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #363
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

At no point have BMW mentioned 'window smashing' as an issue, and why would they? No car manufacturer can stop someone smashing a window with software upgrades!

But they can 'improve vehicle security' by disabling the window drop, if that stops a few then it's a cheap fix for them.

The real issue, the CAS vulnerability, is almost certainly hardware related, so they can't fix that with software either (otherwise they would do it now).


Box ticked, Watchdog public happy, job done.

Like I said, did anybody think they would really fix it??
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!

Last edited by doughboy; 10-16-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #364
Hotcoupe
Major General
Hotcoupe's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
6,105
Posts

 
Drives: Don't know yet!
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
At no point have BMW mentioned 'window smashing' as an issue, and why would they? No car manufacturer can stop someone smashing a window with software upgrades!

But they can 'improve vehicle security' by disabling the window drop, if that stops a few then it's a cheap fix for them.

The real issue, the CAS vulnerability, is almost certainly hardware related, so they can't fix that with software either (otherwise they would do it now).


Box ticked, Watchdog public happy, job done.

Like I said, did anybody think they would really fix it??



No...................hence my OBD is going back to where it currently resides,not where BMW put it!
__________________
=================================


Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #365
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
122
Rep
7,555
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The real issue, the CAS vulnerability, is almost certainly hardware related, so they can't fix that with software either (otherwise they would do it now).

really fix it??
If I am honest, it is not difficult to do with software alteration.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #366
xPETEZx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post


No...................hence my OBD is going back to where it currently resides,not where BMW put it!
Here Here.

Had to move mine twice yesterday for its service and MOT.
Rather annoying 20 minutes work, but worth it to make it that much harder for the scum bags to get my car!!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #367
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
Here Here.

Had to move mine twice yesterday for its service and MOT.
Rather annoying 20 minutes work, but worth it to make it that much harder for the scum bags to get my car!!
No need for an OBD connection during a UK MOT is there??

Any how, I bought a second OBD extension, if the cars going for a service, i plug the extension into the new 'secret' OBD socket location and then leave the lead coiled up on he passenger seat ready for the tech to use.

If BMW moan about that they can f##k off!
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #368
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,201
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Via a reputable Indy with several main dealer contacts, the technical explanation of the upgrade is as below:

"Basically the software update is deleting the function of being able to open the windows via the drivers door lock (putting key blade into the barrel to open windows) due to car thieves drilling/breaking the door barrel to then drop the windows with a screwdriver.

Regarding the alarm issue, when the windows are down the interior alarm sensors change to a narrower beam(!). Because of this once the thieves lower the windows via the door lock the alarm sensors change to a narrow beam allowing the thieves to gain access to the OBD without the alarm going off and being able to make a new key"
If this is what the "fix" truly dose than how depressing....looks like the DiskLok is going to stay in use for a while yet
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #369
Frobius
Captain
Frobius's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
976
Posts

 
Drives: E91 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I thought the key blade thing only worked with comfort access equipped cars? I know you can do it on normal cars but I seem to remember it being that way. Dunno why?
__________________

57 Sapphire Black E91 330d M-Sport
Privacy Glass // Leather // Heated Seats // Bluetooth // Blacklines // BMWP Gloss Black Grille // Alpine HiFi // LCI Headlights
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #370
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

AFAIK on all models you could always do global window open/close with the key in the door, just like holdling the lock or unlock button on the fob.

Interesting on the M3 film above though, whatever he does it doesn't switch the alarm off (no indicator flash) but he opens the door, so the deadlocks are released, and gets straight in, so the alarm must be off at that stage??

Then he just programs a fob to the car presumably at his leisure?

Maybe this was one of these fob-jammer robberies where the car wasn't locked properly in the first place?
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #371
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
If this is what the "fix" truly dose than how depressing....looks like the DiskLok is going to stay in use for a while yet
I think now its been qualified by two separate BMW dealers (and one via inside contacts from a good indy) it is most probably true.

__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #372
xPETEZx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
No need for an OBD connection during a UK MOT is there??

Any how, I bought a second OBD extension, if the cars going for a service, i plug the extension into the new 'secret' OBD socket location and then leave the lead coiled up on he passenger seat ready for the tech to use.

If BMW moan about that they can f##k off!
Didnt need the ODB for the MOT, but it was also in for a inspection and brake fluid change. I thought perhaps they needed ODB to reset the service indicators.

I have been considering getting an extension lead to do the same thing. Have you had your car in since doing this? I just want to be sure it actually works?


Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
AFAIK on all models you could always do global window open/close with the key in the door, just like holdling the lock or unlock button on the fob.

Interesting on the M3 film above though, whatever he does it doesn't switch the alarm off (no indicator flash) but he opens the door, so the deadlocks are released, and gets straight in, so the alarm must be off at that stage??

Then he just programs a fob to the car presumably at his leisure?

Maybe this was one of these fob-jammer robberies where the car wasn't locked properly in the first place?
I was thinking that. The guy just gets straight in. Even if he used a screw driver to undo the lock, surely that would not disable the alarm?


I only seem to be seeing reports of this on UK forums, does this problem not affect cars in other countries??
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #373
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post

I have been considering getting an extension lead to do the same thing. Have you had your car in since doing this? I just want to be sure it actually works?
I have a Bavarian Technic OBDII lead and software for home diagnostics anyway, so I know the OBDII extension works as I've checked it with that.

Any OBDII extension will work, unless it's faulty that is.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!

Last edited by doughboy; 10-17-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #374
xPETEZx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
8
Rep
560
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 325i SE 6MT (E90 LCI)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Thanks!
Gonna go buy one off ebay right away :P

Even once BMW applies the software fix, not gonna ever put the port back where it belongs.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST