E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Any special tools needed? Ground Control/M3 Arms/StopTech install



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Any special tools needed? Ground Control/M3 Arms/StopTech install

Hopefully tackling a Ground Control/M3 Arms/StopTech install this weekend.

I have a pretty normal set of garage tools, air compressor, impact, usual socket sets etc; I'll also have 3 spring compressors.

Are there any "Gotcha!" tools that I will need to complete this install? I'd like to acquire them prior to figuring out I need them, if possible.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
27

 
cvc 22349a's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SF Bay


Posts: 2,255
iTrader: (8)

Talk to CALWATERBOY
__________________
2007 E90 335i, TiAg, 6AT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD
Quaife lsd, ETS fmic, GIAC s/w, Dinan intake/exhaust/oc, KW/M3 susp, Apex Arc 8, Mich PSS
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (4)

something to help spread the lower front strut collar. you can use a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter if you don't have the bmw tool.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
something to help spread the lower front strut collar. you can use a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter if you don't have the bmw tool.
Thanks I will see if one of my friends can get this tool from the dealer before we start.

Anything else you can think of? The coilovers are coming fully assembled and has camber plates so there should be no disassembly of the stock spring/shock/hat.

I'll follow the DIY's for spring changes and such and just skip the steps that don't apply to me... it looks pretty straightforward I just want to see if there are any gotchas in there.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Is the rear headlight regulating rod needed since this ground control kit converts to the M3 rear camber arms?

Part # 37142283867 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Is the rear headlight regulating rod needed since this ground control kit converts to the M3 rear camber arms?

Part # 37142283867 I believe.

headlights in the rear? I think that is a part only for the front arms, but bmw is known for doing some wacky shiz
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Captain
14

 
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 852
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Hopefully tackling a Ground Control/M3 Arms/StopTech install this weekend.

I have a pretty normal set of garage tools, air compressor, impact, usual socket sets etc; I'll also have 3 spring compressors.

Are there any "Gotcha!" tools that I will need to complete this install? I'd like to acquire them prior to figuring out I need them, if possible.

DB, got your msg - have a look at what I did - there you'll find a few things you're looking for.

Can do my setup in stanges - def do LSD before rear sway - those rear subframe bushings an adventure to replace but you'll bless yourself every day for doing it....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
headlights in the rear? I think that is a part only for the front arms, but bmw is known for doing some wacky shiz
There actually is a headlight rod in the rear, but GC is helpfully supplying the rod with the new camber arms. I opened up the camber arms and looked today. So that won't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
DB, got your msg - have a look at what I did - there you'll find a few things you're looking for.

Can do my setup in stanges - def do LSD before rear sway - those rear subframe bushings an adventure to replace but you'll bless yourself every day for doing it....
Thanks man, I did see your thread. Definitely helps -

This round, I'm just doing the front M3 arms, GC coilovers, rear M3 camber arms, GC rear toe arm, and stoptechs.

Stage 2 is going to be wavetrac, swaybars (undecided as to which bars) and subframe/diff bushings. Most likely going to do the harder durometer powerflex bushings for all 7.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
CALWATERBOY
Captain
14

 
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 852
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
There actually is a headlight rod in the rear, but GC is helpfully supplying the rod with the new camber arms. I opened up the camber arms and looked today. So that won't be an issue.

A-yesssssss....they supply the BMW M arm & rod mount, which has an issue with the 335i rod position. It's in my writeup, with my kludge fix, toward the end I think. My shadetree solution working well ~9 months on. No change in shape of Al fab'd piece.

Total pkg still way, way better'n stock! A goose every drive.

Remember, your headlights will prob need adjusting after.

.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 10-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
DallasBoosted
Captain
11

 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas


Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
A-yesssssss....they supply the BMW M arm & rod mount, which has an issue with the 335i rod position. It's in my writeup, with my kludge fix, toward the end I think. My shadetree solution working well ~9 months on. No change in shape of Al fab'd piece.

Total pkg still way, way better'n stock! A goose every drive.

Remember, your headlights will prob need adjusting after.
Check this out Cal. I'm attaching the pictures of your bracket you made, and the bracket included with my GC kit. Looks like they fixed the bracket, huh? I guess that's a GC part. They learned.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by DallasBoosted; 10-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST