E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone here with HPF Gen II and catless downpipes?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #89
Wes335XI
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Wes335XI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI Space Grey
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK


Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

Just buy the AE exhaust and call it good. I'll even take a video showing how loud and pleasant it is with AR catless, intake, and FMIC. Those combined have made the AE exhaust even louder and at WOT there is nothing that sounds as sexy.

Sorry, my inline 6 will not sound like a fart can. The guy with CPE and the HPF Gen2 sounds OK, but it still sounds too loud and way to raspy.

Here's a newer vid from AE.


Last edited by Wes335XI; 09-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #90
335coupe2007
Yezzsur. Big it up. Go Lakers.
United_States
32

 
335coupe2007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Space Gray 335 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Palm Beach


Posts: 1,186
iTrader: (0)

Ive wondered why i havent see many people post reviews with catless dps and the HPF gen 2 exhaust. I know e90 post represents a percentage of the BMW mod population but it still bugs me sometime that i rarely see anyone give feedback on it..

I wonder if the sound is just that obnoxious that a very few have this particular setup or is that many have this setup just not many people post reviews.. I dunno.. whatever. Just my random thought..

I guess i will see for myself when i get it installed! lol....
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #91
triggz
Banned
Canada
21

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto


Posts: 1,225
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI View Post
Just buy the AE exhaust and call it good. I'll even take a video showing how loud and pleasant it is with AR catless, intake, and FMIC. Those combined have made the AE exhaust even louder and at WOT there is nothing that sounds as sexy.

Sorry, my inline 6 will not sound like a fart can. The guy with CPE and the HPF Gen2 sounds OK, but it still sounds too loud and way to raspy.

Here's a newer vid from AE.

Mine definitely does not sound like a fart can. It sounds very deep and mean just like a 500hp car should sound like. It has very little rasp and its actually the perfect sounding type of rasp. When I did the secondary cat delete and didn't have resonators, the rasp was absolutely terrible. Now, the rasp sounds fantastic (with resonators) and it's comes into play at about 5000rpm. Trust me, I hate rasp, but this is a race car rasp, not a honda civic rasp or a e46 m3 rasp.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #92
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI
Just buy the AE exhaust and call it good. I'll even take a video showing how loud and pleasant it is with AR catless, intake, and FMIC. Those combined have made the AE exhaust even louder and at WOT there is nothing that sounds as sexy.

Sorry, my inline 6 will not sound like a fart can. The guy with CPE and the HPF Gen2 sounds OK, but it still sounds too loud and way to raspy.

Here's a newer vid from AE.

I understand that ae+ar is one of the most popular combos for the n54 but it doesn't sound that much louder than stock exhaust with catless downpipes. It may sound "nicer" or "deeper" but I'm not going to spend that much money on an exhaust that barely changes the decibel level... There has to be an option that makes it very loud and deep with bearable/minimal rasp... This setup seems to be it which is why I just want more videos or feedback
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #93
BoostAddict
Captain
United_States
17

 
BoostAddict's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boynton Beach, FL


Posts: 927
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007 View Post
I have my hpf gen 2 exhaust and ar catless pipes sitting in my garage waiting to be Installed. I have no idea what I'm waiting for but it's good to see positive feedback about the setup! Thanks man.
Idk what you're waiting for either lol that setup is going to sound pretty bad ass.
__________________
I do Installs in South Florida
-2008 335i SGM on Terra 6mt
-1997 Jetta TDi 16v ABA Pt6266
-1997 M3 Pt6766
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #94
Markyd83
Captain
13

 
Markyd83's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 917
iTrader: (2)

Get an ams exhaust. Mine sounds great with downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:05 AM   #95
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Bumppp I know someone's out there with this setup
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #96
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
7

 
Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 719/856


Posts: 531
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Ahhh.... *Yawn..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #97
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
80

 
Bakeme521's Avatar
 
Drives: Fresh
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Baton Rouge n NOLA


Posts: 4,272
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Ahhh.... *Yawn..
Look on page 2....
__________________

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #98
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M View Post
Ahhh.... *Yawn..
hahaha... i don't know why you're yawning in a condescending way when you brought nothing new to this thread
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #99
psmitty95
Brigadier General
United_States
87

 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT/ Dallas, TX


Posts: 3,649
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
hahaha... i don't know why you're yawning in a condescending way when you brought nothing new to this thread
Pretty sure that's also HPF GEN I which doesn't really help either...
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #100
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
7

 
Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 719/856


Posts: 531
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Pretty sure that's also HPF GEN I which doesn't really help either...
What's the differencce between them?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #101
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Pretty sure that's also HPF GEN I which doesn't really help either...
What's the differencce between them?
Gen 2 has a resonator that's supposed to reduce drone and rasp... Which is why I'm looking for videos of it paired with catless downpipes... I wanna see if it can be loud without rasp
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #102
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
7

 
Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 719/856


Posts: 531
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
hahaha... i don't know why you're yawning in a condescending way when you brought nothing new to this thread
I don't know why you keep bumping your useless 5 month old thread.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #103
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
7

 
Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 719/856


Posts: 531
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggz View Post
Mine definitely does not sound like a fart can. It sounds very deep and mean just like a 500hp car should sound like. It has very little rasp and its actually the perfect sounding type of rasp. When I did the secondary cat delete and didn't have resonators, the rasp was absolutely terrible. Now, the rasp sounds fantastic (with resonators) and it's comes into play at about 5000rpm. Trust me, I hate rasp, but this is a race car rasp, not a honda civic rasp or a e46 m3 rasp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
Gen 2 has a resonator that's supposed to reduce drone and rasp... Which is why I'm looking for videos of it paired with catless downpipes... I wanna see if it can be loud without rasp
Well of course its going to be loud...lol
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #104
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007
Ive wondered why i havent see many people post reviews with catless dps and the HPF gen 2 exhaust. I know e90 post represents a percentage of the BMW mod population but it still bugs me sometime that i rarely see anyone give feedback on it..

I wonder if the sound is just that obnoxious that a very few have this particular setup or is that many have this setup just not many people post reviews.. I dunno.. whatever. Just my random thought..

I guess i will see for myself when i get it installed! lol....
When are you installing?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #105
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBlackout View Post
Give me a couple of weeks. I should have mine on and videos.
did you ever put the exhaust on? do you have catless dps?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #106
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335coupe2007
Ive wondered why i havent see many people post reviews with catless dps and the HPF gen 2 exhaust. I know e90 post represents a percentage of the BMW mod population but it still bugs me sometime that i rarely see anyone give feedback on it..

I wonder if the sound is just that obnoxious that a very few have this particular setup or is that many have this setup just not many people post reviews.. I dunno.. whatever. Just my random thought..

I guess i will see for myself when i get it installed! lol....
Any news?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #107
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR


Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
Any news?
I did the test video and can tell you it needs a high flow cat or another resonator because it does get a little rasp through mid range. For daily driver it could be a little overwhelming and I opted to stay with my stock secondary cat-back because I didn't want the rasp sound throughout the interior of the car like this exhaust does. But if you can live with the noise, it's one nice setup. But for the price, you probably could have a custom shop do one for less that would sound just as good or better.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #108
cleex024
Major
24

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Woodbridge


Posts: 1,445
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
Any news?
its only the drone thats bothering...i think the above poster is talking about drone and not rasp. there is absolutely 0 rasp and sounds awesome...wish there was another exhaust out there just like this one with the drone above say 3.5k rpms.

this exhaust sounds awesome and isnt even all that loud until you go wot, but the drone will drive you insane right at 2500 to 3000 rpms...and trust me it will drive you crazy i needed ear plugs lol.

but this was my favorite sounding and i have heard almost all of them.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #109
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
Any news?
its only the drone thats bothering...i think the above poster is talking about drone and not rasp. there is absolutely 0 rasp and sounds awesome...wish there was another exhaust out there just like this one with the drone above say 3.5k rpms.

this exhaust sounds awesome and isnt even all that loud until you go wot, but the drone will drive you insane right at 2500 to 3000 rpms...and trust me it will drive you crazy i needed ear plugs lol.

but this was my favorite sounding and i have heard almost all of them.
By drone do you mean the same thing you hear when you're inside a gt500? Because I don't mind that at all. Only thing that bothers me is rasp

Lots of other people said they would be installing their hpf exhausts.. No feedback??
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #110
jetblackcoupe
Captain
22

 
jetblackcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 713
iTrader: (2)

Up
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST