E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2008 E90 Halogen-to-Xenon Conversion? Anyone done one recently?

10-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
StabPreflop
Private

Drives: 2008 E90 328xi

2008 E90 Halogen-to-Xenon Conversion? Anyone done one recently?

Are there any practical options for replacing the stock halogen headlights on one of these?

I have read many threads on this topic and it looks like the good news is that with OEM Xenons and proper coding, it's a straightforward DIY-able install and supposedly works perfectly. The bad news is that OEM Xenon lamps are about $1,700 for the non-adaptive pair and over $2k for adaptive on getbmwparts.com.

(Not to mention whatever other parts I will need to actually do the conversion; these guys are selling a "whole kit" for $2.7k, wow: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-Genu...-/190223652416)

Some questions for anyone who's done this kind of thing before:

1) Am I likely to be able to find a much better deal than the above on real OEM BMW Xenon lights? Related: am I likely to be able to sell the old halogen ones for anything worthwhile? (Car has 50k miles.)

2) Is the install as simple as it looks? There are tons of threads on this topic, but many are old and contradicted by newer ones. From the newer ones, it seems that it will be essentially plug and play with VERY basic wiring, plus coding to recognize the Xenons properly. No drilling the car, no physical error-cancelling hacks, etc. Can anyone confirm or deny?

3) Are any cheaper (not too cheap!) aftermarket options actually decent? It looks like some people have installed ones that either turn out to be illegal or just burst into flames when driving. Based on this I am only considering OEM right now.

4) Not 100% sure which headlight variants will work on my car. A lot of people used Euro ones for instance; is there any difference aside from the corner light? What about LCI vs pre-LCI (my car is pre)?

Thanks to anyone who can comment on any of this!