Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Conti. DWS humming



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Conti. DWS humming

Recently I have been getting a loud hum from my tires, so I rotated and balanced them. When I balanced them, they said the only tire out of balance was my rear passenger. Not quite sure why that one wheel would be out of balance. Possibly wheel bearing going?? Not hearing a grinding sound or anything just a humming sound starting at 40 mph. I have Conti. DWS for not even a year yet and only go to work and back. I have read in numerous threads that they are one of the quietest set of tires to purchase, which is why I am concerned. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what it could be or if any one could of had the same issue. Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
bwsteg
Captain
United_States
15

 
bwsteg's Avatar
 
Drives: AM e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Queens NY


Posts: 601
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
I had the same issue but only over 65mph. Turned out to be the front right wheel bearing.
__________________
Acura RSX-S K24a2 JRSC Swap - SOLD
CPO BMW 335i 6MT - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Rmk392
First Lieutenant
10

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Philly


Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

does the noise get progressively louder with the speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
15

 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL


Posts: 881
iTrader: (1)

I had no issues with DWS in the past, Im betting as the poster above me stated its a wheel bearing wearing out.

Does it increase with speed, and does it become louder on hard turns?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy
I had no issues with DWS in the past, Im betting as the poster above me stated its a wheel bearing wearing out.

Does it increase with speed, and does it become louder on hard turns?
It's only between 55-65. I know i said 40 but its really noticeable at 55. Doesn't get worse when I turn or anything and once I hit around 70 it's gone. It isn't a grinding noise or scraping just a hum. I am taking for a trip in a few days hope it's ok.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
15

 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL


Posts: 881
iTrader: (1)

If its a set speed could be balance, round, or something in the driveline resonating
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
It almost seems to be varying with different speeds now. So over 60 its almost gone and now just at 50 to 55 it's there but not as bad. Not a clue of what it could be, but now that it is quieter I almost want to say it is my tires. I guess time will tell. Could it be cause I just rotated them? Sorry for all the questions I usually am pretty good about cars, but this has me stumped. More opinions are very welcome. Also thanks for the prior posts.

Last edited by PTA85; 10-08-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
69

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh


Posts: 1,901
iTrader: (0)

OP I had the same issue with my dws tires. I had them on my car for about 10k miles and I progressively heard a humming sound more and more. I thought it was a wheel bearing or a suspension related problem but after multiple checks, nothing.

Finally I looked at the tires closely and you could see pretty significant feathering. (Test it by running your hands in the opposite direction of the tire rotation and see if there are "cliffs".)

I notified tire rack and they gave me a full refund towards a set of PSS and I have not had a sound since. I know the dsws were said to be very quiet but I guess I just had a bad set. The car also felt a little squirmish at certain speeds while on its final legs.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
OP I had the same issue with my dws tires. I had them on my car for about 10k miles and I progressively heard a humming sound more and more. I thought it was a wheel bearing or a suspension related problem but after multiple checks, nothing.

Finally I looked at the tires closely and you could see pretty significant feathering. (Test it by running your hands in the opposite direction of the tire rotation and see if there are "cliffs".)

I notified tire rack and they gave me a full refund towards a set of PSS and I have not had a sound since. I know the dsws were said to be very quiet but I guess I just had a bad set. The car also felt a little squirmish at certain speeds while on its final legs.
I will have to check that out. I called Tire Rack today and they said that I will have to bring it to a Rep. so they can look at them. I will do that and see what happens. I have to go on a trip tomorrow on them so I hope it works out. I don't get the feeling that they are squirmish yet. Thanks for the advise that helped a lot. Did your humming go away after you slowed down?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
331


 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA


Posts: 15,479
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
OP I had the same issue with my dws tires. I had them on my car for about 10k miles and I progressively heard a humming sound more and more. I thought it was a wheel bearing or a suspension related problem but after multiple checks, nothing.

Finally I looked at the tires closely and you could see pretty significant feathering. (Test it by running your hands in the opposite direction of the tire rotation and see if there are "cliffs".)

I notified tire rack and they gave me a full refund towards a set of PSS and I have not had a sound since. I know the dsws were said to be very quiet but I guess I just had a bad set. The car also felt a little squirmish at certain speeds while on its final legs.
I'm not sure if that's the issue or not but the "cliffs" he's speaking of is called tire "cupping". Looks like this:
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
69

 
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh


Posts: 1,901
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I'm not sure if that's the issue or not but the "cliffs" he's speaking of is called tire "cupping". Looks like this:
Wow, mine looked nowhere that severe, that is insane.

Very odd, my tires now are wearing properly with no odd patterns.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
Denny347
Lieutenant
15

 
Drives: SGM 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN


Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTA85 View Post
It's only between 55-65. I know i said 40 but its really noticeable at 55. Doesn't get worse when I turn or anything and once I hit around 70 it's gone. It isn't a grinding noise or scraping just a hum. I am taking for a trip in a few days hope it's ok.
My car is doing the EXACT same thing. I also have DWS tires on 162's. I did have the rear bearing replaced 2 years ago (at 70k miles) and that was a constant humming that was quite loud. I have had the tires replaced and road force balanced several times. It does seem more noticeable when the car is cold from sitting in the garage all night. I was toying with the idea that the drive shaft was slightly out of balance. Just spit balling.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
I'm not sure if that's the issue or not but the "cliffs" he's speaking of is called tire "cupping". Looks like this:
Wow, mine looked nowhere that severe, that is insane.

Very odd, my tires now are wearing properly with no odd patterns.
Ok thanks for the picture I will look at them tomorrow for exactly that. I doubt they are that bad like pits said but if there is any sort of cupping or uneven wear I may be able to see it now that I can see exactly where and what it looks like.

denny I am glad some one has my set up and is having the same issue. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore. I did sort of notice that my car did sit a few days on base while I was on duty and this afternoon it was bad. Now after that I drove it and either I got used to it again or it wasn't as bad. I guess on my trip tomorrow night I will really see since I'm driving about 6 hours. I just will have to have the music up lol. I don't feel any wobble or vibration so I'm guessing its still safe. Do you have any spacers or anything else done to your car? Let me know if you hear or find out anymore details.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
Denny347
Lieutenant
15

 
Drives: SGM 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN


Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTA85 View Post
Ok thanks for the picture I will look at them tomorrow for exactly that. I doubt they are that bad like pits said but if there is any sort of cupping or uneven wear I may be able to see it now that I can see exactly where and what it looks like.

denny I am glad some one has my set up and is having the same issue. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore. I did sort of notice that my car did sit a few days on base while I was on duty and this afternoon it was bad. Now after that I drove it and either I got used to it again or it wasn't as bad. I guess on my trip tomorrow night I will really see since I'm driving about 6 hours. I just will have to have the music up lol. I don't feel any wobble or vibration so I'm guessing its still safe. Do you have any spacers or anything else done to your car? Let me know if you hear or find out anymore details.
Bone stock sport suspension with factory sized DWS tires. I was thinking either drive shaft, the drive shaft center support bearing, or maybe a front wheel bearing. I don't think it is the wheels/tires. Front wheel bearings I can do myself, drive shaft or support might be a little much to do myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTA85 View Post
Ok thanks for the picture I will look at them tomorrow for exactly that. I doubt they are that bad like pits said but if there is any sort of cupping or uneven wear I may be able to see it now that I can see exactly where and what it looks like.

denny I am glad some one has my set up and is having the same issue. I don't feel like I'm alone anymore. I did sort of notice that my car did sit a few days on base while I was on duty and this afternoon it was bad. Now after that I drove it and either I got used to it again or it wasn't as bad. I guess on my trip tomorrow night I will really see since I'm driving about 6 hours. I just will have to have the music up lol. I don't feel any wobble or vibration so I'm guessing its still safe. Do you have any spacers or anything else done to your car? Let me know if you hear or find out anymore details.
Bone stock sport suspension with factory sized DWS tires. I was thinking either drive shaft, the drive shaft center support bearing, or maybe a front wheel bearing. I don't think it is the wheels/tires. Front wheel bearings I can do myself, drive shaft or support might be a little much to do myself.
I think if it was the drive shaft then we would be getting more vibration then anything. It could be the front bearing but then it would be making noise as you turn at slow speeds too, which I'm not getting. I'm still questioning the tires, do you hear it from a specific area or from the whole car?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Ok so I took my car to a shop and they put it up on a lift and ran it and found that the rear left wheel bearing is humming really loud. So I will replace that and see if it helps, I'm sure it will.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Denny347
Lieutenant
15

 
Drives: SGM 2006 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Indianapolis, IN


Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTA85 View Post
Ok so I took my car to a shop and they put it up on a lift and ran it and found that the rear left wheel bearing is humming really loud. So I will replace that and see if it helps, I'm sure it will.
Hmmm, I guess it could be my other rear wheel bearing that hasn't been replaced yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTA85 View Post
Ok so I took my car to a shop and they put it up on a lift and ran it and found that the rear left wheel bearing is humming really loud. So I will replace that and see if it helps, I'm sure it will.
Hmmm, I guess it could be my other rear wheel bearing that hasn't been replaced yet.
Yeah I would check it out, they ran my car up on the lift and listened to the bearings. That's the best way to find a bad bearing. Our bearings sometimes won't oscillate noise if the bearing is really bad. Which is why they aren't as easy to identify. I changed my diff fluid also and it feels very smooth now, well besides the bad bearing, which will be replaced Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #19
mrjcover24
New Member
United_States
0

 
Drives: 2008 e92 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Miami, FL


Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
DWS is a pretty good tire, never had any problems... 15,000 miles and still running!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
PTA85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
PTA85's Avatar
 
Drives: 06' 330i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: VA


Posts: 248
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjcover24 View Post
DWS is a pretty good tire, never had any problems... 15,000 miles and still running!!!
Well i couldnt agree more, I got my rear wheel bearing replaced and now....Silence.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST