E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Help in identifying underbody plastic part

10-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
duaux
Private
Rep

Drives: .

Question Help in identifying underbody plastic part

*Mods, please move to the appropriate section if I placed my question in the wrong area. Thanks.

----

I was driving down the highway when I went over some piece of metal... I checked after I got to work. Turned out that it damaged some under body plastic "protection".

Area: Driver side, rear, in front of the wheel. Under the "rocker panel", behind the hard plastic jack pad (point).

I checked on realoem but I can not find it.
Please help me in identifying the part(s) damaged.

Car: 2006 E90 325i

Any suggestions on whether I should just (a) take the hanging plastic cover off as is or (b) replace it would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
duaux
Private
Rep

Question

I think I have found the part...

In case anyone is looking and wants to know in the future:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...16&hg=51&fg=75

#5 in the diagram
Extension, underbody paneling, left
Part#51717116911

I still need some assistance though, can anyone tell me which fastener (plastic screws) I will need to get the piece back in place? When the metal hit my under body plastic, it took out the fasteners. The RealOEM diagram does not seem to indicate.

Please help!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
duaux
Private
Rep

I think I need the following...

1. Spacer Clip
Part#07147122912
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=07147122912

2. Pin
Part#07147122913
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showphoto.do?id=07147122913

I somehow need to put the Spacer Clip in first, then install with the Pin pushing into the Spacer Clip. This would only be applicable to the two "bigger fastener holes"?

What about the two "smaller fastener holes"?

Please help. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
duaux
Private
Rep

Lightbulb

I have finally found my own answer...

***Some may think I am dumb, but I will put the answer up to help others who may not know.

The two "bigger" holes = Spacer Clip (Part#07147122912)
The two "smaller" holes = Pin (Part#07147122913)

I am getting the part's at my dealer tomorrow.
Hopefully it is easy to "install"...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
stimpy
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Please let me know if this is true. I was under my car a few days ago and noticed the exact same thing. Both of these little 'extra' pieces are dangling and I either need the proper screws or to replace the whole thing - will look further this weekend.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
duaux
Private
Rep

Exclamation

*** UPDATE and CONCLUSION ***
So I got it "fixed"...

This is INCORRECT...

This is CORRECT...
The two "bigger" holes = Pin (Part#07147122913)
The two "smaller" holes = 1 was still "plastic bolted" on still, so I did not have to do anything. The second "smaller" hole that connects the rear control arm, I used a screw to get it fastened on.

Not Used
Spacer Clip (Part#07147122912)

Although I bought them, they were not used. My guess is that they are what the "pins" screw into. I believe they are the "part" that gets clipped into the unibody frame, "under" the wrapped rocker panel. I am speculating, since they were intacted, I did need to replace them.

The REALOEM diagrams say they are needed for fastening, so I am only guessing...

My fix included, EPOXYING the broken plastic so that I don't have to buy a new one. The epoxy is very strong and it should hold up. I also duct taped it down (pictures will show), and then I sprayed it with "Rocker Guard" to seal it up (I did not take picture of that).

Overall, PITA. More annoying then anything. Turned out to be a smaller job than I anticipated.

See pictures, hopefully this will help some folks out there. This is my way of trying to contribute to the community. Hopefully others will continue to post pictures, etc to help others out as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
najin23
Private
Rep

Drives: e92 n54 LSD....

Garage List
2007 335i e92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaux View Post
*** UPDATE and CONCLUSION ***
So I got it "fixed"...

This is INCORRECT...

This is CORRECT...
The two "bigger" holes = Pin (Part#07147122913)
The two "smaller" holes = 1 was still "plastic bolted" on still, so I did not have to do anything. The second "smaller" hole that connects the rear control arm, I used a screw to get it fastened on.

Not Used
Spacer Clip (Part#07147122912)

Although I bought them, they were not used. My guess is that they are what the "pins" screw into. I believe they are the "part" that gets clipped into the unibody frame, "under" the wrapped rocker panel. I am speculating, since they were intacted, I did need to replace them.

The REALOEM diagrams say they are needed for fastening, so I am only guessing...

My fix included, EPOXYING the broken plastic so that I don't have to buy a new one. The epoxy is very strong and it should hold up. I also duct taped it down (pictures will show), and then I sprayed it with "Rocker Guard" to seal it up (I did not take picture of that).

Overall, PITA. More annoying then anything. Turned out to be a smaller job than I anticipated.

See pictures, hopefully this will help some folks out there. This is my way of trying to contribute to the community. Hopefully others will continue to post pictures, etc to help others out as well.
Your post helped me a lot. My mud flap was left without anything for the bigger holes after getting my right quarter panel repaired from recent accident. Those body shop people always leave something un-finished. I am ordering the parts asap so that the dangling mud flap doesn't get lost.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0