E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > To honor Neil Armstrong Obama posts a picture of himself.

08-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

To honor Neil Armstrong Obama posts a picture of himself.

I don't know if the MSM put this out there? Probably not they would not want to make him look like the pompous ass that he is.

By: Mike Flynn

The thing that most bothers me about Barack Obama is his unearned narcissism. His smugness and arrogance are beyond the ability of science to measure. I don't mind someone being a bit cocky or even arrogant, IF they have the accomplishments and achievements to back up the attitude.
Obama's greatest achievement, though, is creating his own personal narrative. He is his own personal touchstone. Even when honoring a great American hero, Obama can't help but thrust himself into the event.

On Friday, America and the world lost a true hero. Neil Armstrong, who died of heart complications at the age of 82, was the first human to walk on the moon. His steps onto the lunar surface were watched by the largest television audience in history. His statement "one giant leap for mankind" echoed throughout the world, allowing people everywhere to step back from the clutter of their daily lives and pause to dream big things. People who witnessed it will never forget it.

Armstrong's heroism wasn't the lunar walk, though. It was how he comported himself afterwards that showed the true measure of the man. He was among the more famous human beings in history. Yet he retired to a quiet and private life teaching aeronautical engineering and tending to his farm. His walk on the moon wasn't a personal achievement, per se, but an accomplishment for all of humanity.

He made few public appearances. He gave very few speeches or interviews. His resignation from the public square made his lunar walk something mankind achieved rather than something Neil Armstrong achieved. His walk was the culmination of the work, not only of the thousands of engineers and scientists who directly worked on the mission, but also of the countless others throughout the ages who looked up at the skies and dreamed. Armstrong understood this.

How many of us could have resisted the siren song of global celebrity? How many of us would have chosen to withdraw and ensure the walk is remembered as mankind's greatest triumph rather than a personal glory?

Certainly not Barack Obama.

Obama took to his tumblr page to offer a tribute to Neil Armstrong. The words--two sentences--are fine in a generic politician way. But, Obama being Obama, he injected himself into the tribute. He included a photo, not of Armstrong or the iconic step onto the lunar surface, but of himself, gazing up at the moon.

Obama is a literary construct. It's as if Zelig jumped off the movie screen and took up residence in the Oval Office. He puts himself in the frame of historical events, even if he has only the smallest cameo. He let Democrats in Congress construct the stimulus package, as well as his signature legislation, Obamacare. He comes on the scene just in time for the photo-op, after others have done the heavy lifting.

Neil Armstrong did the heavy lifting. Even a tribute to his death is just another photo-op for Obama.
Attached Images

08-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Augenbrauezug
Captain

Drives: mk6 GTI

So what.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
      08-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Kind of tacky........
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      08-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
Gamoto
Private First Class

Drives: 08 E93 M3 6MT/13 335ix/ 13 X3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
Kind of tacky........
He's been tacky since day one.
      08-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
The hate is strong with the anti-President Obama crowd.

Utterly amazing how petty you guys are.
      08-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
rohms3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 328i

Besides the tackiness, the crescent moon and star is an internationally-recognized symbol of the faith of Islam. Coincidence?
rohms3 is offline   United_States
      08-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post

No hate just fact......

BTW: Just because a person disagrees with someone dosen't mean that he/she is hated.
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
      08-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
straight_six
Banned

Drives: 128 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
No hate just fact......

BTW: Just because a person disagrees with someone dosen't mean that he/she is hated.
I think the point being lost is the following. This wasn't shown in a political ad, or on the cover of a magazine or front page of a newspaper. This is from Obama's freakin' Tumblr acct (and I don't even know what that is). It's for Obama fans, just like his website, twitter, facebook (?), or whatever else he and Michelle may have. They tend to feature pictures of the Obamas involved with whatever the topic is. It's what their "fans" want to see. Same with Scott Brown in Massachusetts, and pretty much every major politician out there.

Whoever the guy is who wrote the article the OP cited is completely making something out of nothing. He's bitching about an image that few people would otherwise ever know existed, but for the columnist himself. So the "hate" is coming from both the columnist and the OP, as the premise of sitting in judgement of what's appropriate for the Tumblr account of a guy trying to garner 50%+ of the votes in this country is preposterous.
straight_six is offline   United_States
      08-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
smyles
Private First Class

Drives: X5

Quote:

And racist, don't forget racist...
      08-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
straight_six
Banned

Drives: 128 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
And racist, don't forget racist...
You're right, that was totally made up. They said the same things about Kerry, Clinton, Gary Hart, and Dukakis, right?
straight_six is offline   United_States
      08-31-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
jtvr4
Private

Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:

No, it's pretty low class. Sorry you think otherwise.

PS. I'm an independent
jtvr4 is offline   United_States
      09-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Pull up an empty chair and tell him yourself
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
TommyRiordan
New Cars In India

Drives: Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
I don't know if the MSM put this out there? Probably not they would not want to make him look like the pompous ass that he is.

By: Mike Flynn

The thing that most bothers me about Barack Obama is his unearned narcissism. His smugness and arrogance are beyond the ability of science to measure. I don't mind someone being a bit cocky or even arrogant, IF they have the accomplishments and achievements to back up the attitude.
Obama's greatest achievement, though, is creating his own personal narrative. He is his own personal touchstone. Even when honoring a great American hero, Obama can't help but thrust himself into the event.

On Friday, America and the world lost a true hero. Neil Armstrong, who died of heart complications at the age of 82, was the first human to walk on the moon. His steps onto the lunar surface were watched by the largest television audience in history. His statement "one giant leap for mankind" echoed throughout the world, allowing people everywhere to step back from the clutter of their daily lives and pause to dream big things. People who witnessed it will never forget it.

Armstrong's heroism wasn't the lunar walk, though. It was how he comported himself afterwards that showed the true measure of the man. He was among the more famous human beings in history. Yet he retired to a quiet and private life teaching aeronautical engineering and tending to his farm. His walk on the moon wasn't a personal achievement, per se, but an accomplishment for all of humanity.

He made few public appearances. He gave very few speeches or interviews. His resignation from the public square made his lunar walk something mankind achieved rather than something Neil Armstrong achieved. His walk was the culmination of the work, not only of the thousands of engineers and scientists who directly worked on the mission, but also of the countless others throughout the ages who looked up at the skies and dreamed. Armstrong understood this.

How many of us could have resisted the siren song of global celebrity? How many of us would have chosen to withdraw and ensure the walk is remembered as mankind's greatest triumph rather than a personal glory?

Certainly not Barack Obama.

Obama took to his tumblr page to offer a tribute to Neil Armstrong. The words--two sentences--are fine in a generic politician way. But, Obama being Obama, he injected himself into the tribute. He included a photo, not of Armstrong or the iconic step onto the lunar surface, but of himself, gazing up at the moon.

Obama is a literary construct. It's as if Zelig jumped off the movie screen and took up residence in the Oval Office. He puts himself in the frame of historical events, even if he has only the smallest cameo. He let Democrats in Congress construct the stimulus package, as well as his signature legislation, Obamacare. He comes on the scene just in time for the photo-op, after others have done the heavy lifting.

Neil Armstrong did the heavy lifting. Even a tribute to his death is just another photo-op for Obama.
Nice way to say good bye to the legend Neil Armstrong by the president of America Obama.
TommyRiordan is offline   India
      09-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyRiordan View Post
Nice way to say good bye to the legend Neil Armstrong by the president of America Obama.
Face it. Nothing the president would have said or done would have been acceptable to your right wing sensibilities. We all get it. You're just not that into him.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
      09-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
cssnms
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Even in death, our Celebrity and Chief will not let anyone else steel the limelight.
cssnms is offline   United_States
      10-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #16
rajapareek128254

Drives: Ford Figo

It's a great honor given by President of America to legend Neil Armstrong.
rajapareek128254 is offline   India
      10-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
BostonBeemah
The Stig

Drives: AW 135i 6spd

the exact reason why i hate obama.....

RIP 2008 AW/BL 135illMods: JB4 G5 ISO, 2Step, Raceland DPs,Turbo Back Straight Pipes, BMS DCI, ER CP, HKS BOV, CM10 + CM14 METH, P3 Vent Gauge
Dragstrip: 1.81 60ft 12.2@113 NO METHDynoDayhttp://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15337
BostonBeemah is offline   Armenia
      10-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #18
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator

Drives: N55, 6.6L Diesel

Quote:

so now its hate? what about when bush was president, all that opposition wasn't? its called freedom of speech. let people say whatever they believe and feel. or do we allow the government to control that too now? facts are facts. opinions are like assholes (like biden). everyone has one.
      10-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Hey Black, I am not the government, and I'm not trying to restrict what people were saying here, I was giving my opinion on the pettiness of the comments here. Freedom of speech also means that I get to express my opinion here as well.

Also, look at the 7th word written right above your post. The individual uses the word hate.

Last edited by xbook; 10-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
      10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
BlackBMiLuc
Pavement Operator

Drives: N55, 6.6L Diesel

Quote:
Hey Black, I am not the government, and I'm not trying to restrict what people were saying here, I was giving my opinion on the pettiness of the comments here. Freedom of speech also means that I get to express my opinion here as well.

Also, look at the 7th word written right above your post. The individual uses the word hate.
I was addressing the OP and your comment to it. As an independent, I found the OP to be completely legitimate for what was brought up. Agree or disagree with it, but responding to a thread in the very beginning with the notion that it's solely just hate since it may conflict with your own affiliations is what feeds into digressing from the original statement into division of fighting on who's the hater. So saying it in the first place doesn't exactly help either. As far as freedom of speech, if you agree to that then why is it a problem in the first place? Just asking rhetorically you know.