E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Can you adjust caster on front '07 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
21
Rep
908
Posts

 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can you adjust caster on front '07 335i

Anybody knows?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Not without a caster plate.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Thumperx
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,333
Posts

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (75)

Why??
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Why??
Umm, because of the way the suspension geometry works on this car...
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Thumperx
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,333
Posts

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Umm, because of the way the suspension geometry works on this car...
Err, I wasn't asking you the reason.
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #6
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
21
Rep
908
Posts

 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
whats the point of asking why? my business.

just answer if you know. is it adjustable and is it done when alignment is done. i read that is not adjustable. i want to verify from people that know or have the knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
41
Rep
3,482
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Why??
Because castor angles are fixed on a BMW MacPherson Strut? And the only way to adjust it is by adding castor plates?

Seriously? I had to answer that? It's like talking to my 4 year old daughter.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Thumperx
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,333
Posts

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
whats the point of asking why? my business.

just answer if you know. is it adjustable and is it done when alignment is done. i read that is not adjustable. i want to verify from people that know or have the knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
Because castor angles are fixed on a BMW MacPherson Strut? And the only way to adjust it is by adding castor plates?

Seriously? I had to answer that? It's like talking to my 4 year old daughter.
Seriously, why the sarcastic attitude from the both of you? Could there be a possible curiosity on my part (attempting to offer concise information to you) want to know what is the OP's rationale and motivation to the change or adjust these particular fixed points of the suspension; hence, my friggin' question before giving an answer.

This is not a typical question that comes up everyday in forums, so I was curious to know if there was a back story to your question. I do not know if OP's desired to adjust the slip angle or address a self centering action problem (too little or too much) at low speeds. Adjustment to the caster is not typically done.

By the way hack its not spelled "castor", it's caster.
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 07-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
vasillalov's Avatar
Bulgaria
84
Rep
4,196
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post

This is not a typical question that comes up everyday in forums...
No, but the average high schooler knows that McPherson type suspension does not allow adjustment to caster angles, not unless you use caster plates.

Besides, the reason why (I think) you are getting attitude is because you were already given the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov
Umm, because of the way the suspension geometry works on this car...
EDIT:
P.S.: Do not attempt to insult The HACK. He is one of the few people out here from whom you can actually learn something worth remembering!
__________________
Equal Opportunity Harasser!
6MT | COBB | AR | AE | Forge DV | HPF | P3 Gauge | Hybrid Intake | O.S.Giken TCD | All M3 bits | TCKLine | StopTech
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
Thumperx
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,333
Posts

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
No, but the average high schooler knows that McPherson type suspension does not allow adjustment to caster angles, not unless you use caster plates.

Besides, the reason why (I think) you are getting attitude is because you were already given the answer:



EDIT:
P.S.: Do not attempt to insult The HACK. He is one of the few people out here from whom you can actually learn something worth remembering!
I disagree -like I mentioned before- I was asking the OP his reason why. That's why I avoided your answer, I did not need to know the answer. Unlike you that assumes most people know what you know, well I don't presume most people know what I know; hence, why the simple question.

He asked the question to opens the forum, which allows us ask for follow up questions. I knew the answer, but I do see my error (I'm big enough to admit it) of not being clear to whom I should have addressed my question, which was not towards the Hack.

I was not being insulting. The two words have the two completely different meanings. I do agree he's knowledgeable, but does not give anyone the right to give sassy comments without reply back.

I think I've explained myself clearly.
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s

Last edited by Thumperx; 07-25-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Because castor angles are fixed on a BMW MacPherson Strut? And the only way to adjust it is by adding castor plates?

Seriously? I had to answer that? It's like talking to my 4 year old daughter.
Alternatively, one can modify the OEM plates for added caster the same way Dinan did for camber.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
CALWATERBOY
Captain
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
15
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
Anybody knows?
Stock, no.

Ground Control sells racing adjustable camber/castor plates - you'll like it!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
21
Rep
908
Posts

 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Because castor angles are fixed on a BMW MacPherson Strut? And the only way to adjust it is by adding castor plates?

Seriously? I had to answer that? It's like talking to my 4 year old daughter.
My E36 M3 also had macpherson strut, but bentley gives a range for front caster in the alignment section of the book. Why would they give a range if it is not adjustable?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
#Tee's Avatar
77
Rep
4,878
Posts

 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

The stock plates are fixed, youre right some macphersons (sw20 mr2) can be flipped around to "adjust" caster/camber. Ground control/Vorshlag offer plates with both caster/camber adjustments.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
malter2.0
Banned
United_States
21
Rep
908
Posts

 
Drives: em-funf
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
ok, thanks for explanation!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
5
Rep
523
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SoCal, SGV

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Trouble maker. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
ok, thanks for explanation!
__________________
: Ken
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts


 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
My E36 M3 also had macpherson strut, but bentley gives a range for front caster in the alignment section of the book. Why would they give a range if it is not adjustable?
Those are the acceptable ranges. Once you are out of the range you should be looking at defective/bent components to replace to get you back within range.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
modernbeat
Private
modernbeat's Avatar
1
Rep
65
Posts

 
Drives: Caged
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Caster on the E9x and E8x chassis is VARIABLE during the turn, unlike most strut suspended cars. For most cars we ship Vorshlag camber plates in the full-additional-caster position because most chassis need more caster and the only way to get it is to change the static caster. But the E90/E80 have dynamic caster provided by the multi link lower arm. We ship camber plates for those chassis in the no-additional-caster position as we feel they already have enough due to the unique suspension.
__________________
Jason McDaniel at Vorshlag
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST