E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Knock Retard after 5k rpm (Procede logs inside)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #23
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

how about plugs? I was getting timing drops a while back even on stage1 (COBB). Swapped plugs and timing drops were gone
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #24
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
how about plugs? I was getting timing drops a while back even on stage1 (COBB). Swapped plugs and timing drops were gone
Plugs are new and I recently went through them because I had a missfire issue so I know those are good.

Is there a way to modify the knock sensor sensitivity?
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
Plugs are new and I recently went through them because I had a missfire issue so I know those are good.

Is there a way to modify the knock sensor sensitivity?
Yup I read about you changing the plugs after I posted and e90post died so couldn't delete...

I don't think so. I know with COBB you can log the knock sensor. that way you can help determine whether the drop was caused by the DME reacting to the knock sensor or not. Why would you want to change the sensitivity though?
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #26
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
Yup I read about you changing the plugs after I posted and e90post died so couldn't delete...

I don't think so. I know with COBB you can log the knock sensor. that way you can help determine whether the drop was caused by the DME reacting to the knock sensor or not. Why would you want to change the sensitivity though?
It sometimes helps eliminate false knock from mechanical vibrations and other affects.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
It sometimes helps eliminate false knock from mechanical vibrations and other affects.
see your point, but since this is not a known issue with this car I still think there is something else going on.

Logical next step in the coils
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #28
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
see your point, but since this is not a known issue with this car I still think there is something else going on.

Logical next step in the coils
I already went through the coils.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #29
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,598
iTrader: (1)

How many miles on the injectors?
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #30
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
How many miles on the injectors?
No idea. They have markings so they were inspected at some point. Car has 48k miles.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #31
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
I already went through the coils.
crap... I'm sorry if this was answered but have you logged the stock tune?
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #32
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
crap... I'm sorry if this was answered but have you logged the stock tune?
I have not. I will try. not sure I can with Procede on map 0.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #33
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
I have not. I will try. not sure I can with Procede on map 0.
WEll the thing was procede is stock 0 is a procede map with stock boost level it is not a pass through map.. either way worth the try
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
WEll the thing was procede is stock 0 is a procede map with stock boost level it is not a pass through map.. either way worth the try
This will eliminate detonation as an issue.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #35
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
 
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Hope, PA

Posts: 529
iTrader: (1)

IIRC It won't log in Map0? I read somewhere you need to trigger an overboost in procede (set a low fail value in user tuning.)
__________________

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
uniter is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 04:07 PM   #36
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

As uniter stated, can't log. So I made a custom boost map using the same map I have been running. I cut the boost to 9psi at 5k+ and the KR went away. I was surprised. I have also logged 10psi without issues. Going to keep creeping up boost till it triggers again then back it down till it goes away. So I think I found the issue. This is odd to me but perhaps the boost or timing is too aggressive at that RPM. I will keep everyone posted.
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
As uniter stated, can't log. So I made a custom boost map using the same map I have been running. I cut the boost to 9psi at 5k+ and the KR went away. I was surprised. I have also logged 10psi without issues. Going to keep creeping up boost till it triggers again then back it down till it goes away. So I think I found the issue. This is odd to me but perhaps the boost or timing is too aggressive at that RPM. I will keep everyone posted.
how much timing were you to trying to target and what boost?
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

I was running stage 2 with a little more bias toward higher boost and timing. In the problem area it was originally targeting 15.35psi at 5k tapering from there and about 6* rising to 10* advance from 5k-6k. Start boost in is set to 50% and IC is set to 70%. It reacts very well in the low-Mid range with these settings and never has an issue until the 5k mark. I am guessing since these settings are global, that it offsets maybe too much in the higher range and may be too aggressive with the additional biasing. I am hoping to find a happy medium in the boost and leave timing alone. Unless someone with more experience chimes in and says back off that timing up top cause its insanely too high haha.
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #39
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
I was running stage 2 with a little more bias toward higher boost and timing. In the problem area it was originally targeting 15.35psi at 5k tapering from there and about 6* rising to 10* advance from 5k-6k. Start boost in is set to 50% and IC is set to 70%. It reacts very well in the low-Mid range with these settings and never has an issue until the 5k mark. I am guessing since these settings are global, that it offsets maybe too much in the higher range and may be too aggressive with the additional biasing. I am hoping to find a happy medium in the boost and leave timing alone. Unless someone with more experience chimes in and says back off that timing up top cause its insanely too high haha.
so your requesting 6deg ->10deg from 5k to 6k???
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #40
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
so your requesting 6deg ->10deg from 5k to 6k???
That is what the Procede map is requesting, yes. I had to drop some timing in the 5200 area after the last log. Just a small hit this time. Not the crazy 15+* I have been seeing. If it ever stops raining I can log my latest efforts and see what that feels and looks like. I love it when I actually see results from my efforts. This is the fun part of tuning.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #41
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Update, still having issues. Even when it is in the teens outside with low iats. This has to be mechanical. Its too predictable and specific.
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
getInline
Lieutenant
 
getInline's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335 Coupe, c32 AMG
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Parts Unknown

Posts: 413
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS335 View Post
Update, still having issues. Even when it is in the teens outside with low iats. This has to be mechanical. Its too predictable and specific.
Just wondering if you ever resolved this problem? I have a similar knock retard / misfire issue and I'm slowly working through the same troubleshooting steps you've done, different fuel, plugs, coil swap, and things have improved (no more misfire) but my timing still isn't where I think it should be. Going in for walnut shell cleaning tomorrow (70,000km), just wondering if I should replace the knock sensors while they're in there?
getInline is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #43
BADS335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Montego 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

I did not completely resolve this. I think I may have been running out of fuel on the shift though. This is my only thought. But even still that does not explain it. But may have been related. For the most part this seams to hav gone away. Not sure what fixed it. Since then I am now FBO and running a stage 3 tune. No issues at this time. But I just started it this way and need more time and logs to verify all is good. But I think I will have a fuel issue till I get my fuel flash worked out. I seem to be having multiple issues at once right now. Gotta love cars and modding. Take the bad with the good I guess.
__________________
2008-BMW-335i-E90-6MT-Sport-Montego Blue
BADS335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST