E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Possible N54 Fuel Pump Upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
I wonder if the pump can keep up with the stock fuel system well above power ratings, as well run 6 high impedance injectors on a secondary fuel rail. I hate to run 2 fuel systems but to get reliable band aid free power this is the route Im looking into. Whats the total flow capacity of the lines with this pump at the 13 volts would that be enough to support 500hp with 93 octane alone.
Might be in double pumper territory if you are looking to run secondary injectors w/ e85. Maybe not though for just 93?
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
Centex Hokie
Private First Class
Centex Hokie's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
120
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E93
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Texas

iTrader: (0)

Joining in the thread. This is an upgrade I would like to have.
__________________
CPO Sparkling Graphite 335i Convertible -|- Premium -|- CA -|- Heated Seats/Steering Wheel -|- Sport Package -|- Navigation -|- Logic7 -|-Installed -|- ModMyNav Backup Camera -|- XM Radio -|- Racing Brake 2 Piece Rotors w/ET500 -|- Injen SP-Series Cold Air Intake -| - M3 Replica from Modprojekt-| - Cobb Accessport-| - ETS FMIC -|

Last edited by Centex Hokie; 10-17-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #25
WilliamS
GoofBall
United_States
13
Rep
913
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King mode View Post
Might be in double pumper territory if you are looking to run secondary injectors w/ e85. Maybe not though for just 93?
E85 is scarce in Florida, I will be straight pump 93. Need more fuel to get more power.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #26
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
E85 is scarce in Florida, I will be straight pump 93. Need more fuel to get more power.
Gotcha
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
ragingpanda
Lieutenant
7
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
E85 is scarce in Florida, I will be straight pump 93. Need more fuel to get more power.
Depends on where you are, but E85 is pretty easy to locate where I am at (several locations).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #28
akotten
Major
akotten's Avatar
13
Rep
1,043
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Rapid City, SD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
According to Terry this walbro pump is not louder than the oem one.
That's great! I not a fan of using hose clamps where factory connectors can be used. I may have to look into this DIY some more.
__________________
TC Kline S/A | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ///M Bushings & ARB | CP-e DPs | VRSF FMIC | Procede 2.5 w/ OpenFlash | DCI |
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #29
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
476
Rep
15,016
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King mode View Post
I was going to say the same thing but thought not to get into a debate. My Walbro 255 did the job for a long time but couldn't keep up like the Bosch 044 (1.8t big turbo application).

However, Walbro makes a well priced product that gets the job done.
I think it was the intention that this DIY would be used on whatever pump someone prefers to run. The Walbro E85 pump is a good fit to the platform but may be overkill for many. The keys to making this work is ensuring the pump draws less than 20 amps @ 72psi and can support PWM control. A secondary concern is that it has close to the OEM diameter to slide in the brackets but one could always make their own bracket if they really needed to.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #30
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
I think it was the intention that this DIY would be used on whatever pump someone prefers to run. The Walbro E85 pump is a good fit to the platform but may be overkill for many. The keys to making this work is ensuring the pump draws less than 20 amps @ 72psi and can support PWM control. A secondary concern is that it has close to the OEM diameter to slide in the brackets but one could always make their own bracket if they really needed to.

Mike
I see. Thanks for the insight. Did you by chance see if other comparable pumps had similar diameter? Just curious.
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

This proposed pump upgrade won't work. Look closely at the bottom of the oem LPFP bucket. There is a Venturi jet that uses a dedicated vent from the factory pump to keep the bucket full (even well the surrounding fuel level in the tank is low). Without this vent and functional venturi jet, this important function will be eliminated. In other words, you can't just drop in another pump. Been there, done that.

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; 10-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #32
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
21
Rep
1,104
Posts


 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (4)

Good call on the bucket test... Assuming this means the tank has to be filled considerably at all times to not have a fuel supply issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Won't work. Look closely at the bottom of the oem LPFP bucket. There is a Venturi jet that uses a dedicated vent from the factory pump to keep the bucket full (even well the surrounding fuel level in the tank is low). Without this vent and functional venturi jet, this important function will be eliminated. In other words, you can't just drop in another pump. Been there, done that.
How bout fabbing a surge tank to enclose the pump?
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
LivnLife31
Banned
United_States
5
Rep
421
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54 TiAg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i Sedan  [0.50]
Send a message via AIM to LivnLife31
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Won't work. Look closely at the bottom of the oem LPFP bucket. There is a Venturi jet that uses a dedicated vent from the factory pump to keep the bucket full (even well the surrounding fuel level in the tank is low). Without this vent and functional venturi jet, this important function will be eliminated. In other words, you can't just drop in another pump. Been there, done that.
When is your inline pump going to be ready?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #35
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Good call on the bucket test... Assuming this means the tank has to be filled considerably at all times to not have a fuel supply issue.
Correct. It's really not a feasible option for that reason. When I tried this back in 2010, i ended up having to completely redesign the bucket using an off-the-shelf venturi jet as well as a one way check valve. Ended up being pretty time consuming and costly. I was going to stay quiet let Terry move forward with the product and sell it to the public. But that would cause a lot of people a lot of unnecessary problems as it is the tuners job to understand how this stuff works before suggesting a proposed upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #36
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Damn.
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #37
D_Smiderreen
Banned
United_States
3
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: Please delete my account
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: please delete my account

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Correct. It's really not a feasible option for that reason. When I tried this back in 2010, i ended up having to completely redesign the bucket using an off-the-shelf venturi jet as well as a one way check valve. Ended up being pretty time consuming and costly. I was going to stay quiet let Terry move forward with the product and sell it to the public. But that would cause a lot of people a lot of unnecessary problems as it is the tuners job to understand how this stuff works before suggesting a proposed upgrade.
I knew a fuel pump upgrade could not have been this simple, on this platform
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #38
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
21
Rep
1,104
Posts


 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (4)

Dont think sales was a concern of his, but agree significant functionality oversight if that bucket dries up at lower tank fill levels. Definitely appreciated to point it out, would've caused some headaches for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Correct. It's really not a feasible option for that reason. When I tried this back in 2010, i ended up having to completely redesign the bucket using an off-the-shelf venturi jet as well as a one way check valve. Ended up being pretty time consuming and costly. I was going to stay quiet let Terry move forward with the product and sell it to the public. But that would cause a lot of people a lot of unnecessary problems as it is the tuners job to understand how this stuff works before suggesting a proposed upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #39
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Dont think sales was a concern of his, but agree significant functionality oversight if that bucket dries up at lower tank fill levels. Definitely appreciated to point it out, would've caused some headaches for sure.
Rob - haven't you seen many other platforms with similar buckets that keep the pump submerged all the time? And there are aftermarket intank options, right? Or do people just not let the tank go to nearly empty and risk fuel starvation a little.
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #40
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
21
Rep
1,104
Posts


 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (4)

Lol it does seem there ALWAYS is more than meets the eye with this platform for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Smiderreen View Post
I knew a fuel pump upgrade could not have been this simple, on this platform
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #41
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by King mode View Post
Rob - haven't you seen many other platforms with similar buckets that keep the pump submerged all the time? And there are aftermarket intank options, right? Or do people just not let the tank go to nearly empty and risk fuel starvation a little.
Fuel starvation is the worst thing that can happen on high boost.
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #42
JMARS
Not Baned
Brazil
21
Rep
1,287
Posts

 
Drives: Single-T WTCC e90
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boca Raton, FL

iTrader: (5)

I HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!! Do this e85 Pump and KEEEP YOUR TANK FULL AT ALLLLLL TIMES!!!!
__________________
Motiv-900 HTA3794R Tial 1.03 A/R | Motiv PI | Motiv/Fuel-IT! Stg3+ LPFP | Motiv Cobb AEM EMS | DSS Carbon Drive Shaft | Spec SuperTwin-disc
**** Front Mount | **** Charge Pipe | **** Oil Cooler | JRZ Coilover | ECS Performance Rear Trailing Arm | UUC Tans Mount | Full M3 Suspension | Brembo 6-Piston/Brembo 4-Piston | AR Line Lock | 5 Point Welded in Cage | BMW Performance Steering Wheel/SSK/Boot/E-Brake
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
King mode
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
374
Posts

 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Fuel starvation is the worst thing that can happen on high boost.
Right but I think people risk it with cars that don't race with turns and high G's that slosh the tank a bunch. (in cheaper / older cars)
__________________
2008 335xi AT
Cobb AP stage 1, drop in filter, the rest stock
13.10@106.01 w/ 1.86 60' (5,800' altitude)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #44
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMARS View Post
I HAVE A SOLUTION!!!!! Do this e85 Pump and KEEEP YOUR TANK FULL AT ALLLLLL TIMES!!!!
A lot of folks including myself like to keep the car at half to quarter tank at most to keep down the weight on the car! Lol. Filling it up all the time and keeping it there, there is a noticeable difference in performance, at least for me
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST