E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Halogen to Xenon

03-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Halogen to Xenon

Thought we could have a sub-section on how to do this so we don't have to search through main coding thread. It looks like someone has figured out how to code halogen for xenon and also have high beam function. All credit should go to DIMSUM, DESI4LIFE10, and Junior (sorry if I have the names wrong) and everyone else who helped!!!!!! on this and the other BMW forum that is linked below. No credit should go to me as I have done nothing on this convert and truly give all props to the experts! I just wanted to make this thread to make it easier to find. Also, if anyone has any additional information on this retrofit, please post here if you wish. Thanks to all who have helped and solved this issue!!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1600012

Update:

Got the high beams to turn on again (Thanks DIMSUM).

It isn`t the same command line as the older models.

When you add the xenon lights in the VO option, this line gets updated to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

With this setup, the high beams gets switched to your xenons and since we don`t have that bi-xenon wire setup, you lose the high beam feature. What you want to do is get the halogen bulb to be you high beam like old times.
In order to do this, you need to first add the xenon option in the VO $522.
If you start the car up after this, you will get the self leveling error because by default, the leveling feature is usually installed with the xenon lights.

No problem.
Using ncs expert, go into the frm module and look for this line

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
aktiv

change it to

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv

To get the halogen bulb to act as high beams, change the line I outlined at the start of this post to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

You must have both those lines there.

Voila, you have retrofitted your xenons. You can then tap the high beam wire (for your halogen) to your xenon shutter wire to get the bi-xenon feature.

This is for the bmw e90 cars (although it should be the same (not 100% sure) for the 1 series and X3).

Thanks guys for your help.

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk. Vehicle coding should be done with the proper tools and knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg
I have a 2007 328xi (build date 02/07) and I'm about to do this exact conversion and would like to know the answer as well. Also, I'm going to use OEM pre-lci US xenon housings, OEM ballasts and D1s bulbs, with adaptive modules (I have the OEM adaptive module as well, not to be confused with self-leveling). Did you use adaptive headlights? And if so, does the adaptive work? I understand self leveling won't as neither you nor I have installed the levelers on the suspension, I'm just curious if the adaptive part works if you have OEM adaptive modules. Thanks!

So long as you have the adaptive module that comes with the headlights (judging by you post, you should have em) it should work.

A VO number does exist for just adaptive headlights (still need to add the xenon headlight VO $522). The VO code for adaptive headlights is $524 (according to the vo code list )

The adaptive feature takes angle readings from your steering wheel, which should do the trick (not 100% sure though). Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Sidnito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 space 335i

bump, I am also getting adaptive headlights...just making sure all I need to get the xenons to work (without high beam and adaptive) is a eBay cable and software?

please inform me on the exact details, I greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

quick question how do i add the $522 to vo option..i mean i went into the work folder and opened fa.trc and added $522 but how do i send that to my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a link to show you how to do it (BTW, it seems like it takes forever, like over a minute, for this document to come up):

ftp://94.212.182.18/Other-Software/N..._Order_CAS.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg View Post
Here's a link to show you how to do it (BTW, it seems like it takes forever, like over a minute, for this document to come up):

ftp://94.212.182.18/Other-Software/N..._Order_CAS.pdf
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

Okay, I'm stumped now on my halogen to xenon retroift. This is what I've got:
1. pre-lci (build date 02/07) E90 that had stock halogens
2. Bought OEM bixenon US with adaptive feature, has all modules (OEM ballast and adpative modules) and stock D1S bulbs

Using NCS, I changed the VO for only FRM using the guides (loaded expertmode, went to add $522, using FA WRITE to FRM, then went back and added $524 using same method, again only added to FRM). I only added $522 and $524 to the FRM module, I didn't add it to any other modules.

Read FRM after adding VO's. This is what it said (I only searched for "xenon" in the module as the read-out was really long).

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
BI_XENON_FL_ABSCHALT_OPT
wert_02
BI_XENON_BEI_LH
aktiv
XENON_WIEDER_Z_AUS_PHASE
wert_01
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
XENON_AL_VERBAUT
nicht_aktiv
BI_XENON_VERBAUT
aktiv
XENON_WIEDER_ZUEND
nicht_aktiv
XENON_LI
wert_02
XENON_WIEDERHOL_Z_OPT
nicht_aktiv
AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
aktiv

I changed the following to get high beams to work, per DESI's post.
PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01
AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_activ

However, when I go out to the car, no xenons lights up. All other lights (high beams, DRL, turn signals) work as they should, just no xenons.

What should I do? Are there more changes I should make? I thought about adding the VO's to the entire car, using "process car" instead of "process ecu ---> FRM", but I'm not sure what changes that will make to my entore car if I'm using the expertmode profile. I don't want to screw up my sirius retofit.

Any help? DESi or Dimsum? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Umm..did you modify the headlights first?

You need to tap the low beam negative wire to the high beam negative wire.

The pins for the negative wire (low beam) are different for halogen and xenon headlights.

Therefore the negative on the low beam xenon headlight points to an empty slot (thus not turning on).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143927

It's a 2 part process. One is to do the mod in the headlight while the other part is to do the coding.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
orangedawg
Lieutenant
Rep

DESI, thanks so much!! I though you could do it just by coding, and not have to modify any wiring. Now that I know (or at least I think I do) I should be able to set this up. Sorry about my confusion in having to do the wiring. Thanks!

To clarify, is this correct:

1. Add a new wire (ground) into slot #2 on the connector that goes into headlight
2. Tap that wire (using a wire tap/splice) into wire #4 (also a ground)

Once that is done, I should be good to go?

Also, can you do the coding first and still run with halogens until I install the xenons? Will it throw any errors/have any issues? Also, does my coding I posted above seem correct for the xenons to work? Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

I sent you a pm with more details.

You have 2 choices, you can do the mod outside the headlight or inside the headlight (I did it inside for a more oem look (tapping the black wire for lowbeam with the brown wire from the highbeam). While your at it, you need to also tap the wire if you want the bi-xenon feature (details can be found in that same link).

I should have posted the steps as a 2 part process. The coding eliminates the need to use hid kits with cancellers etc and use all OEM parts.

Once you have the low beams tapped to the ground, you will be good to go. You can do the tapping while the headlight is installed on the car as well.

Since you have done the coding, you will most likely get an error when you plug the halogen lights in (I don't recommend it).

As for your coding process, it looks right. Send me the FRM .man file.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
UsnRoberts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i sport

Good thread. If I don't want the high beams can I just use these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2PC-X...#ht_5115wt_806
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

Are you looking to disable your DRL?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
kdylad
new to this
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 320 d m sport e90 series

Light bulbs

I'm looking to change my normal headlight bulbs to bright white ones, i have the new 320d m sport but not sure if its gonna be a straight forward change of bulbs or if there are gonna be other complications? can anyone help?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
UsnRoberts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i sport

Anyone looking as this thread might be interested in these...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576752
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
DESI, thanks so much!! I though you could do it just by coding, and not have to modify any wiring. Now that I know (or at least I think I do) I should be able to set this up. Sorry about my confusion in having to do the wiring. Thanks!

To clarify, is this correct:

1. Add a new wire (ground) into slot #2 on the connector that goes into headlight
2. Tap that wire (using a wire tap/splice) into wire #4 (also a ground)

Once that is done, I should be good to go?

Also, can you do the coding first and still run with halogens until I install the xenons? Will it throw any errors/have any issues? Also, does my coding I posted above seem correct for the xenons to work? Thanks again!
Did you ever completely resolve your issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep

^^^YES

He has been running this setup fine since he last made the post here after doing the wiring mods required for OEM Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Hi there guys, I have a 2010 model e90 lci with halogen and I brought some lci xenon headlights.

So make the headlight work I need to do coding?

And for the shutter can you make it work by doing some coding or do you need tap the wires.

And what is VO and the $522 is a price of a part?

can some one help me please thank you

Cheers guys

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

You must do wiring to make shutter work-sadly, then you need to code it.
Adding $522 to VO it means you need to add value $522 ( yes its a value to add not actual money lol ) and recode your car. Quite simply proces if you know what you are doing

cheers mate
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Business edition
OBD Port Disabled
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M Sport Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******_ View Post
You must do wiring to make shutter work-sadly, then you need to code it.
Adding $522 to VO it means you need to add value $522 ( yes its a value to add not actual money lol ) and recode your car. Quite simply proces if you know what you are doing

cheers mate
Ok mate, thank you for your reply and help mate. Really appreciate it

Cheers pal

E90 LCI M SPORT BUSINESS EDITION - STAY SAFE & HAPPY MOTORING
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thought we could have a sub-section on how to do this so we don't have to search through main coding thread. It looks like someone has figured out how to code halogen for xenon and also have high beam function. All credit should go to DIMSUM, DESI4LIFE10, and Junior (sorry if I have the names wrong) and everyone else who helped!!!!!! on this and the other BMW forum that is linked below. No credit should go to me as I have done nothing on this convert and truly give all props to the experts! I just wanted to make this thread to make it easier to find. Also, if anyone has any additional information on this retrofit, please post here if you wish. Thanks to all who have helped and solved this issue!!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1600012

Update:

Got the high beams to turn on again (Thanks DIMSUM).

It isn`t the same command line as the older models.

When you add the xenon lights in the VO option, this line gets updated to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_02
wert_03

With this setup, the high beams gets switched to your xenons and since we don`t have that bi-xenon wire setup, you lose the high beam feature. What you want to do is get the halogen bulb to be you high beam like old times.
In order to do this, you need to first add the xenon option in the VO $522.
If you start the car up after this, you will get the self leveling error because by default, the leveling feature is usually installed with the xenon lights.

No problem.
Using ncs expert, go into the frm module and look for this line

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
aktiv

change it to

AUTO_LWR_ENABLE
nicht_aktiv

To get the halogen bulb to act as high beams, change the line I outlined at the start of this post to this:

PWM_ANST_FL_BIXENON
wert_01
wert_01

You must have both those lines there.

Voila, you have retrofitted your xenons. You can then tap the high beam wire (for your halogen) to your xenon shutter wire to get the bi-xenon feature.

This is for the bmw e90 cars (although it should be the same (not 100% sure) for the 1 series and X3).

Thanks guys for your help.

Disclaimer: Do it at your own risk. Vehicle coding should be done with the proper tools and knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedawg
I have a 2007 328xi (build date 02/07) and I'm about to do this exact conversion and would like to know the answer as well. Also, I'm going to use OEM pre-lci US xenon housings, OEM ballasts and D1s bulbs, with adaptive modules (I have the OEM adaptive module as well, not to be confused with self-leveling). Did you use adaptive headlights? And if so, does the adaptive work? I understand self leveling won't as neither you nor I have installed the levelers on the suspension, I'm just curious if the adaptive part works if you have OEM adaptive modules. Thanks!

So long as you have the adaptive module that comes with the headlights (judging by you post, you should have em) it should work.

A VO number does exist for just adaptive headlights (still need to add the xenon headlight VO $522). The VO code for adaptive headlights is $524 (according to the vo code list )

The adaptive feature takes angle readings from your steering wheel, which should do the trick (not 100% sure though). Hope this helps.
Just to clarify, if I get a set of adaptive bi-xenons I will be able to retrofit them into my 2011 halogen 328xi and I should have no errors and adaptive functionality? I understand that leveling will not work. Am I correct here?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
bjaumiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 50i, 2013 335i coupe,

+1 bump
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #21
Virterm
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaumiller View Post
+1 bump
I decided to go without adaptive functionality. But if you need adaptive, you will need to make additional wiring changes (new harness) as you need to pass additional information from your nfrm to headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Bricks
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

can some guide me through on how to code my car from halogen to xenon?
Appreciate 0