E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
  DIY - E92 CDV (Clutch Delay Valve) Removal
EvanL
09-13-2006
Hey, just removed the CDV from my 335i today. Very straightforward and much simpler than the CDV removal from my E46 M3. Steps are as follows:

1. Jack the front end up and put it on JACK STANDS. Do not get under a car that is supported by a jack only.

2. Remove the...
  #154  
By Richwm on 06-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
I am not sure how the one you got works if you connect it to the master cylinder. I like the vacuum ones since you pull fluid to the bleed valve then close it when you are done.

Pressurizng the system will require you to go back and forth to the master cylinder and the bleed value. I think you might find that one a bit harder to work with.
I didn't hook it up to the master cylinder I hooked it up to the bleed valve and brought the vacuum up to 25 psi then opened the valve until the fluid came out with out bubbles.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
By Maestro on 06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwm View Post
I didn't hook it up to the master cylinder I hooked it up to the bleed valve and brought the vacuum up to 25 psi then opened the valve until the fluid came out with out bubbles.
My comment was for BoostedBMW not you, sorry for the confusion
Reply With Quote
  #156  
By BoostedBMW on 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if I should have went with a vac bleeder like that instead. Oh well, my bavauto pressure bleeder was shipped out today, hopefully i'll have it in a few days. So, does anyone know if I should fill the pressure bleeder with fluid or should I just do it with air?
Reply With Quote
  #157  
By andrewflk on 06-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I did a CDV delete yesterday and wanted share my opinion…

Despite owning 4 different manual transmission cars for a total of over 12 years I immediately had trouble executing a smooth shift in my 335 in the lower gears.

After a few hundred miles I learned to shift the 335 smooth by delaying the lift of my foot off the throttle. Problem is that I had to make a conscious effort to do this or I’d go right back to my old timing.

After reading about the CDV delete I had to try it, and let me tell you it instantly made a difference. I’m not an automotive engineer, but my theory is without the CDV restriction the clutch can now reengage before the flywheel slows down too much…making the revs match just right. (Otherwise you would have to think that a slow clutch engagement would be smoother)

Now I don’t have to give shifting a second thought it’s just snick-snick every time!

I highly recommend this mod for anyone experiencing the same shift timing problems that I did. (And who can tolerate the risk of the extra wear and tear on the driveline).
Reply With Quote
  #158  
By BoostedBMW on 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM
I finally had the time this morning to go out and bleed my clutch again (its been almost a week since the first time). Anyway, thanks to the members on here for giving me some info that I simply overlooked. I didn't realize that the brake reservoir was partitioned and that the clutch line can become empty rather quickly if you aren't constantly filling up the master cylinder in between each bleed. I ended up running it dry and filling up the line with air, which is why my clutch pedal fell to the floor, but I thought that it was filled since the rest of the reservoir was at the max line. Long story short, since I discovered this I was able to bleed my clutch with no problems and all is well now. Shifting feels great now, a lot more like my last car without a CDV. You can feel everything that is going on now. I'm happy. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
By Booster on 06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Took mine out at the shop today... Easy 15 min max job... Night and day difference....
Reply With Quote
  #160  
By HyperM3 on 06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
I finally had the time this morning to go out and bleed my clutch again (its been almost a week since the first time). Anyway, thanks to the members on here for giving me some info that I simply overlooked. I didn't realize that the brake reservoir was partitioned and that the clutch line can become empty rather quickly if you aren't constantly filling up the master cylinder in between each bleed. I ended up running it dry and filling up the line with air, which is why my clutch pedal fell to the floor, but I thought that it was filled since the rest of the reservoir was at the max line. Long story short, since I discovered this I was able to bleed my clutch with no problems and all is well now. Shifting feels great now, a lot more like my last car without a CDV. You can feel everything that is going on now. I'm happy. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Glad to know it all worked out for you.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
By pikkashoe on 06-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Good to hear Boostedbmw.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
By BoostedBMW on 06-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
By stressdoc on 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Swapped mine out today. Thanks to Evan for the excellent DIY instructions, and hope to see you on the streets of Columbia!
Reply With Quote
  #164  
By EvanL on 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Swapped mine out today. Thanks to Evan for the excellent DIY instructions, and hope to see you on the streets of Columbia!
Glad the instructions helped. I won't be in Columbia for long...I'm actually moving to BoostedBMW's North Carolina location (Wilmington) this Friday.

-Evan
Reply With Quote
  #165  
By BoostedBMW on 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanL View Post
Glad the instructions helped. I won't be in Columbia for long...I'm actually moving to BoostedBMW's North Carolina location (Wilmington) this Friday.

-Evan
Evan, welcome to the area, and best of luck with the move.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
By 533ogetnom on 08-15-2007, 02:35 PM
this guide says the bleed valve is 8mm, what i found is more like 7/16th, furthermore, there is NO way for me to get any sort of wrench around it, i can barely get a socket around it, and its blakc not bronze like in your pciture

what gives (same place as in the picture and everything)
Reply With Quote
  #167  
By baltik on 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Ummm it can't be 7/16 BMW = Metric
Reply With Quote
  #168  
By STE92VE on 08-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
80%80%80%
4
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
5
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
100%100%100%
5
Average 93%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 533ogetnom View Post
this guide says the bleed valve is 8mm, what i found is more like 7/16th, furthermore, there is NO way for me to get any sort of wrench around it, i can barely get a socket around it, and its blakc not bronze like in your pciture

what gives (same place as in the picture and everything)
What part of the guide were you reading?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanL View Post
5. Use a 7mm box key wrech and a friend to bleed the clutch valve. Be sure to pump the clutch a few times to get the air out of the system and into the bleed valve inbetween bleed sessions. 2-3 times should be ample.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
By 533ogetnom on 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
Ummm it can't be 7/16 BMW = Metric
um, did you read the part where i said more like i dont have a lot of metric tools so i used the closest imperial to measure it

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
What part of the guide were you reading?
the part you quoted, the cars are diffrent, the guy with the blue sesemi street character in his avatar had the same size, and ours were plastic not metal, and you have to give it a full turn for it to start bleeding





am i to assume that since my clutch pedal returns to the up position properly that i bled it correctly? it was hard to tell since i have to give it a full turn to get it loose enough to bleed






first impressions, clutch engagement is pretty much the same, a little more informative but thats about it (nothing like the other cars i have driven that give tons of feedback)

what IS a ton different is when your moving out of gear, throwing the clutch in immediately takes pressure off the gearshift
Reply With Quote
  #170  
By GreyGhost on 08-16-2007, 05:59 AM
Done and it's not a noticable difference. Thanks to Technical Dimensions is Jacksonville, FL. 721-9700 for you local boys and girls.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
By 533ogetnom on 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
little update, theres a dif one quick engagements when im shifting from high revs, in that before when the clutch was all the way out it would sort of "twist up" and mushy the power

but theres no extra feeling in clutch engagement which is what i was hoping for
Reply With Quote
  #172  
By stressdoc on 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I notice more feel in the transmission during shifting; more "snick-snick" in and out of the gears. The clutch grabs a little more predictably, so I think that I am adjusting my style to use less clutch disengagement. I like it.

I did not notice this before, but there is a sticky spot when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, like it's hanging up on something, feels like it's caught on the floor mat, or my shoe is stuck under something -- but it isn't, it's something internal.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
By 533ogetnom on 08-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I notice more feel in the transmission during shifting; more "snick-snick" in and out of the gears. The clutch grabs a little more predictably, so I think that I am adjusting my style to use less clutch disengagement. I like it.

I did not notice this before, but there is a sticky spot when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, like it's hanging up on something, feels like it's caught on the floor mat, or my shoe is stuck under something -- but it isn't, it's something internal.
yea i got the sticky feeling when i start the car, it goes away after a minute though, and then sometimes it IS stuck on the floor mat because the stupid fuckers didnt put my velcro in


as for the "snick snick" thats a placebo, the CDV has nothing to do with the transmission itself, what it may be though is what i tried to describe where it goes out of gear faster, IE w/ CDV in when your toss the clutch in and pull it out of gear theres still some resistance against you compared to w/o the CDV because the tranny has had longer to spin down and remove tension
Reply With Quote
  #174  
By LACA335i on 08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmDubU View Post
so what are the downsides then?
is that company any good? who make the best CDV out there?
Reply With Quote
  #175  
By discoboy1 on 08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
is that company any good? who make the best CDV out there?
I just did my install this week end (girlfriend's car)and it was well worth it. After comparing the one that came off the car and the one I bought from the suplier listed on this thread, the "Modified" one only have it's guts removed.
I used a small screwdriver and punched the inside. A small metal plate with a hole came out and a plastic ring. Now it looks exactly like the modified one.
I'm going to install that one on my 335 when it comes in October.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST