E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Spacers Fitted - E91 Msport with MV3



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
parapaul
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Cool Spacers Fitted - E91 Msport with MV3

Not sure whether this belongs in here or Technical, but that's why we have mods, right?

I was fed up with the way the standard 18" MV3 wheels looked completely lost in the rear arches of my pre-LCI E91. After spending some very enjoyable time browsing the Wheels & Tyres forum, I decided that with the OE offset, I'd need a 15mm spacer to acheive the look I wanted, with no rubbing.

Despite some of the uber cheapo options available, I wanted to stick with a brand I trusted, which really meant either H&R or Eibach. Google found the cheapest place for them was Performance Alloys. Big to these guys, I ordered online, and they called back the next morning to confirm everything, make sure the fitment was right, etc. Very helpful, very easy to deal with.

As well as the spacers, I needed longer bolts. Standard bolt length is 27mm so I wanted 42mm to compensate for the spacer. They had black 42mm bolts listed on their website, but while I was on the phone, they explained they'd have to order them in which could take a few weeks. Instead they offered silver bolts with black caps for the same price - which I was happy with. No locking bolts, I think they're overrated anyway.

BEFORE:





15mm Eibach spacer fitted



Extended 42mm vs standard 27mm wheel bolt



AFTER:





There should still be enough clearance for when I lower it in future, too. I'm very happy with the result. Handling and ride are unaffected, as I'd expected, but it looks so much better. Not over the top, but it looks how I think it should have left the factory now.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
willhollin
Major General
 
willhollin's Avatar
 
Drives: VW T5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Worcestershire

Posts: 9,911
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Much better.

Could have painted the fecking hubs though!
__________________
willhollin is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #3
parapaul
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Much better.

Could have painted the fecking hubs though!
That's a job for another day, when I've got a whole day free. Hubs and calipers need doing.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
Golgarth
Private
 
Drives: 2010 318d M-sport tourer Bus
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: north east

Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)

Subtle, but nice
Golgarth is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Billyray911
Colonel
 
Billyray911's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d Msport,touring
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mind your own business...no,really.

Posts: 2,676
iTrader: (6)

Simple,but very effective!
Billyray911 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
frankie
Private First Class
 
frankie's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 320d m sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cheshire,England

Posts: 189
iTrader: (0)

You done good Paul looks a lot better
frankie is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
HOUCH
Registered
 
Drives: 2006 E91 M SPORT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: IPSWICH

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

hi there been looking to do the same with my 2006 m sport e91 recently fitted genuine mv3's ( wider rears.) have looked at several posts and have spoken to couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems. Did you fit spacers to front as well? have you had any problems since you fitted the rears. sorry to bother you just trying to get it right 1st time as dont live near enough to any suppliers to drop in and try various sizes and now confused which size to go for......doh.... and would like feed back from someone with same model as mine before I go ahead...Cheers in advance Houch
HOUCH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Cyprio
Captain
 
Cyprio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Colchester. UK

Posts: 919
iTrader: (2)

A noticable improvement.
Cyprio is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #9
Phil325i
Major
 
Phil325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Don't like to be critical, but I think you might have been sent the wrong spacers. I got H&Rs from Performance Alloys and they are the same diameter as the hub. Your spacers look way too small in diameter. They should be at least an inch wider...
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUCH View Post
couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems.
Pre lci can take 20mm front and rear no probelm if you wanted, but 15mm gives a good look, LCI which is 24mm wider track anyway is limited to 10mm front and rear.

I use 10mm front and read on my LCI no issues, it lowered too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Don't like to be critical, but I think you might have been sent the wrong spacers. I got H&Rs from Performance Alloys and they are the same diameter as the hub. Your spacers look way too small in diameter. They should be at least an inch wider...
The OPs spacers are same as mine, no point in them being any larger as the edge of the hub is chamfered, so they wouldn't be in contact with anything.
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Phil325i
Major
 
Phil325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
no point in them being any larger as the edge of the hub is chamfered, so they wouldn't be in contact with anything.
Don't agree Doughboy. I'm talking about the diameter of the spacer versus the diameter of the (flat face, not chamfered) hub. IMHO the spacer should more or less be the same as that of the flat face of the hub (the face the wheel bolts on to). The OP's is well short of that...

Here's a pic of my H&R - you can see there's much less of a 'gap' between the edge of the spacer and the edge of the hub

Name:  Hub 1.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  100.1 KB
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Last edited by Phil325i; 10-25-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Dizzle
Major
 
Dizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 320d M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK, Staffordshire

Posts: 1,151
iTrader: (0)

Looks good Paul, dare I ask.... total price?
__________________
Dizzle is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
parapaul
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUCH View Post
hi there been looking to do the same with my 2006 m sport e91 recently fitted genuine mv3's ( wider rears.) have looked at several posts and have spoken to couple of suppliers who both have said to go bigger than 12mm on rear or may cause scuffing on inside or arch, the fronts dont look as lost in the arch as the rears and I want the rear track of the car to be wider than the front (prefer that look) but they both advised should go no more than 5mm per side on front, yet have read and seen posts stating 12mm front and 15mm rear fits inside arch's fine no problems. Did you fit spacers to front as well? have you had any problems since you fitted the rears. sorry to bother you just trying to get it right 1st time as dont live near enough to any suppliers to drop in and try various sizes and now confused which size to go for......doh.... and would like feed back from someone with same model as mine before I go ahead...Cheers in advance Houch
I think 12mm applies to the LCI models as they have a wider rear track already. For 100% definite, the 15mm spacers have not caused me any issues, even after lowering.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
doughboy
Major General
 
doughboy's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 6,375
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Don't agree Doughboy. I'm talking about the diameter of the spacer versus the diameter of the (flat face, not chamfered) hub. IMHO the spacer should more or less be the same as that of the flat face of the hub (the face the wheel bolts on to). The OP's is well short of that...

Here's a pic of my H&R - you can see there's much less of a 'gap' between the edge of the spacer and the edge of the hub
But your spacers appear to be well overhanging the chamfered hub face, which starts about 15mm from the hub edge. Theres no point in the spacer being larger than the wheel mating face.

The OPs appear to be about 1mm short of the chamfer ridge, same as mine, to give a nice edge with no overhang.

See pics below:
Attached Images
  
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
parapaul
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I agree with Doughboy. My spacers fitted perfectly against the whole flat area of the disc face.

Dizzle, they're listed now at 103 for the pair, but I'm sure i didn't pay that much! I've been eyeing some up on ebay for the front, at around 60 or 70 including bolts.

Edit: These ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERI...item4606948849
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Brennan
'The Godfather'
 
Brennan's Avatar
 
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Crossgar, N.Ireland

Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

looks so much better mate, are they real or rep mv3s?
Brennan is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
parapaul
Colonel
 
parapaul's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330d M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Real ones. Came as standard on the car.
__________________
Just how many Yorkshire sheep can you fit inside one exhaust?
parapaul is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #18
Phil325i
Major
 
Phil325i's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK South East

Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
I agree with Doughboy. My spacers fitted perfectly against the whole flat area of the disc face.[/url]
I stand corrected then. There are clearly two different types of OEM hubs in use, one with a flat face and one chamfered. You can see from my pic that there's absolutely no chamfer on my hubs. And I have to say Doughboy's hub/brake combo doesn't look OEM to me...
__________________
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof
Phil325i is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
e91, eibach, msport, mv3, spacer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST