E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Trunk Floor Comparment Sub



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
pupsterdo
Private
0
Rep
89
Posts

 
Drives: 07 e92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Trunk Floor Comparment Sub

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2007 328xi coupe that fits under the floor compartment area in the trunk? I know that BSW makes a subwoofer for that compartment, but it comes with a hefty price tag so I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on subwoofer enclosures that fit in that area?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
Delusive's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,502
Posts

 
Drives: Static E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsterdo
I'm looking to add a subwoofer to my 2007 328xi coupe that fits under the floor compartment area in the trunk? I know that BSW makes a subwoofer for that compartment, but it comes with a hefty price tag so I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on subwoofer enclosures that fit in that area?
The price is actually pretty good since it comes with a subwoofer in a enclosure, amplifier, and the wires from what I read.

You'll be spending more if you got it customized from an audio shop because they usually charged $700+ for a custom enclosure.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
joec500
Brigadier General
46
Rep
3,004
Posts

 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
The price is actually pretty good since it comes with a subwoofer in a enclosure, amplifier, and the wires from what I read.

You'll be spending more if you got it customized from an audio shop because they usually charged $700+ for a custom enclosure.
http://www.musicarnw.com/bmw-subwoofers/
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,090
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

The trunk floor is a BAD location for a sub. It won't sound very good, nor will it be very loud. Your best and easiest bet is the corner-loaded enclosure set-up in the link above, or you can piece it together yourself if you want to save a few bucks.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,823
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Or you could get an Infinite Baffle set up, but just depends on how much work you'd be happy with being done to your car.

I'm hoping to get a IB sub installed in the next few weeks
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,090
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17
Or you could get an Infinite Baffle set up, but just depends on how much work you'd be happy with being done to your car.

I'm hoping to get a IB sub installed in the next few weeks
What sub are you using? How are you making the baffle?
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,823
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
What sub are you using? How are you making the baffle?
Im not doing the install myself, think i'd mess it up! Don't know too much about the baffle, but i think its going to be a large piece covering the back of the rear seat essentially. Then somehow attached and sealed. Sorry i can't help any more. If you send MrSingh a PM he should be able to tell you (he's my installer for this project)

About the sub im looking at a Fi Audio IB3 12. You had any experience with this?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,090
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Im not doing the install myself, think i'd mess it up! Don't know too much about the baffle, but i think its going to be a large piece covering the back of the rear seat essentially. Then somehow attached and sealed. Sorry i can't help any more. If you send MrSingh a PM he should be able to tell you (he's my installer for this project)

About the sub im looking at a Fi Audio IB3 12. You had any experience with this?
Looks like you're on the right track, and ahead of me! I'm sure you saw this thread, right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740146

Would be interesting if you tried that first, since it would cost you a lot less. I think the back seat is already so well insulated from the main cabin, that a separate baffle may not be necessary!
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,823
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
Looks like you're on the right track, and ahead of me! I'm sure you saw this thread, right?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=740146

Would be interesting if you tried that first, since it would cost you a lot less. I think the back seat is already so well insulated from the main cabin, that a separate baffle may not be necessary!
Yeah i did read that thread but completely forgot to mention that method to MrSingh. Will suggest that to him when we talk next. Personally i think it should work as long as its strong enough to hold roughly 40pounds over bumps and bends.

Yeah think you're right about the insulation. Only difference i will have is i have no ski hole, so will need to do some modification.

Just a shame i have to wait 3-4 weeks as he has no IB3s in stock. But hopefully it will be worth it!

Where are you at on your sub? Have you decided on one?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #10
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
3,090
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Yeah i did read that thread but completely forgot to mention that method to MrSingh. Will suggest that to him when we talk next. Personally i think it should work as long as its strong enough to hold roughly 40pounds over bumps and bends.

Yeah think you're right about the insulation. Only difference i will have is i have no ski hole, so will need to do some modification.

Just a shame i have to wait 3-4 weeks as he has no IB3s in stock. But hopefully it will be worth it!

Where are you at on your sub? Have you decided on one?
I'm actually planning on doing something different first, going to a 12" corner-loaded set-up. So essentially, we both have flip-flopped our plans, LOL. I want to move more into the SQL direction so I have done some research and I have found a possible solution to get a LOT more SPL in the cabin without sacrificing SQ. This involves a 12" sub with super low Qts and super high x-max and "squeezing" it into a new custom corner-loaded enclosure. I would need to increase the output to the sub to roughly 1000-1200W to get there, so I would also get a new mono amp. If my calculations are correct, the output would equal or better that of two 12W6v2 subs on 500w each.

Once I start on the project I'll start a thread. It is more curiosity than anything else to prove that you can have monster SPL and SQ from a single 12 in this car.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa XT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
Jake@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jake@MOTIV's Avatar
26
Rep
951
Posts


 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD & NC

iTrader: (7)

Give VP Electricity / MusicarNW a PM or call. The work they do is INCREDIBLE.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,823
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I'm actually planning on doing something different first, going to a 12" corner-loaded set-up. So essentially, we both have flip-flopped our plans, LOL. I want to move more into the SQL direction so I have done some research and I have found a possible solution to get a LOT more SPL in the cabin without sacrificing SQ. This involves a 12" sub with super low Qts and super high x-max and "squeezing" it into a new custom corner-loaded enclosure. I would need to increase the output to the sub to roughly 1000-1200W to get there, so I would also get a new mono amp. If my calculations are correct, the output would equal or better that of two 12W6v2 subs on 500w each.

Once I start on the project I'll start a thread. It is more curiosity than anything else to prove that you can have monster SPL and SQ from a single 12 in this car.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Haha yeah we have swapped our upgrades

You're after something im working towards too, having both SPL and SQ. But i don't think i need monster SPL, which is why im going the IB route. I think it should have enough SPL for me. Will be really interesting to hear how you get on. Good luck!
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST