E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335i limp mode party at the track



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #859
neilvosko
Major
 
neilvosko's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i e92 FBO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: miami

Posts: 1,398
iTrader: (16)

Are you guys running the AT in manual mode, ds, or auto?

Maybe should run a poll.
neilvosko is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #860
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
Are you guys running the AT in manual mode, ds, or auto?

Maybe should run a poll.
Why are you asking?
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #861
raceyBMW
king of the hills
 
raceyBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,729
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Are we talking dragstrip or road track? Manual mode, but I would suggest short shifting to prevent heat buildup on a road track.
raceyBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #862
orionredwing
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Jose

Posts: 723
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko
Are you guys running the AT in manual mode, ds, or auto?

Maybe should run a poll.
In manual mode.
__________________

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
orionredwing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #863
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peninsula, SF Bay Area

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Updated the chart:

CaptainInsano Laguna Seca MT Int/Adv 1:46(spec miata) 80 STETT stg2 + Ar Design 260 off stock NA No Limp. ~630whp Vishnu/FFTEC 62mm Single Turbo.

Sorry I didn't check coolant temps or record lap times. My friend ran a 1:46 and I was faster than he was on the same lap. (started off next to each other). I still feel like I need more cooling, but I couldn't get the car into limp mode no matter how hard I tried. 24psi w/meth.
__________________
FFTEC 6466 6mt 335i | FFTEC GTX3076R Evo IX
CaptainInsano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #864
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Updated the chart:

CaptainInsano Laguna Seca MT Int/Adv 1:46(spec miata) 80 STETT stg2 + Ar Design 260 off stock NA No Limp. ~630whp Vishnu/FFTEC 62mm Single Turbo.

Sorry I didn't check coolant temps or record lap times. My friend ran a 1:46 and I was faster than he was on the same lap. (started off next to each other). I still feel like I need more cooling, but I couldn't get the car into limp mode no matter how hard I tried. 24psi w/meth.
Can you start a new thread with your single turbo impressions on the road course? I'm very interested in this. Also you say Stett Stg 2 plus AR design? So you have the second oil cooler over in the drivers side location?

Thanks
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #865
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peninsula, SF Bay Area

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Can you start a new thread with your single turbo impressions on the road course? I'm very interested in this. Also you say Stett Stg 2 plus AR design? So you have the second oil cooler over in the drivers side location?

Thanks
Man I'm lazy.

I might start a thread if there appears to be more interest. But there's not much to say. More power=better. Do you have any specific questions?

I have the Stett stage 2 oil cooler + the really old crappy front mount AR Design one where the lines always fray and it doesn't fit right.
__________________
FFTEC 6466 6mt 335i | FFTEC GTX3076R Evo IX
CaptainInsano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #866
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Man I'm lazy.

I might start a thread if there appears to be more interest. But there's not much to say. More power=better. Do you have any specific questions?

I have the Stett stage 2 oil cooler + the really old crappy front mount AR Design one where the lines always fray and it doesn't fit right.
What kind of tires did you run? Did the power of the single turbo give you a problem with corner exits?

How was the power delivery out on the course? Did lag present any kind of problem?

How long were your sessions? You were running 24psi + meth; any idea what coolant temps looked like?

Had you had it on the track before the single turbo? If so how does the heat output compare to the heat now that you've got the single?
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #867
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peninsula, SF Bay Area

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
What kind of tires did you run? Did the power of the single turbo give you a problem with corner exits?
Toyo R888s.

I was really surprised by how well the car stuck out of the corners, and felt I could have used more power There were a couple of instances coming onto the main straight where I was sliding a little, but still kept the throttle matted. Keep in mind my car is heavily modified and has even more mods than currently in my sig. (metal bushings and such) The car handled much better than I expected, and more power could have easily been used. You shouldn't be worried about the single turbo producing too much power, I found myself wanting more.

I have slicks but was unable to mount them since I'm still waiting on my second set of wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
How was the power delivery out on the course? Did lag present any kind of problem?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735215

My car is somewhat of a freak and spools around 3500 rpm. I wasn't running E85 on the track, but those dynos accurately represent where the spool comes in.

I have about 3800 rpms to play with, meaning I have full spool for most of the RPM band. (rpm limit is raised)

So, spool really wasn't an issue at all. I always had a ****ton of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
How long were your sessions? You were running 24psi + meth; any idea what coolant temps looked like?
20 minute sessions, 1 hour cool-down. There was one 25 minute session where the oil got to 260F, and I felt that if I had kept driving much longer I was going to start loosing timing, but it never happened. I have no idea what my coolant temps looked like, and I can't image they were good, but the car never seemed to loose power or pull timing. I'm having FFTEC look into radiator upgrades right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Had you had it on the track before the single turbo? If so how does the heat output compare to the heat now that you've got the single?
I've been on the track twice before with stock turbos. Once with meth and once without, both times with the AR Design oil cooler + the stock oil cooler. Both times I hit limp mode almost immediately. I didn't have the STETT oil cooler in either of those track days, and I recommend everyone get it. I don't know if it was the single turbo or the STETT oil cooler that helped the most with my temps, but 630whp and no limp mode makes me a happy panda.

Overall I was extremely happy with the performance of my car. I need to get back to the track asap. Shift Sector this weekend!
__________________
FFTEC 6466 6mt 335i | FFTEC GTX3076R Evo IX
CaptainInsano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #868
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Any video?
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #869
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (3)

Yeah, vids, or it didn't happen.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #870
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peninsula, SF Bay Area

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Yeah, vids, or it didn't happen.
Haha sure.

I was only able to get hold of a camera for the first two sessions, and the mic was broken, but I'll post up some vids later tonight.
__________________
FFTEC 6466 6mt 335i | FFTEC GTX3076R Evo IX
CaptainInsano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #871
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Haha sure.

I was only able to get hold of a camera for the first two sessions, and the mic was broken, but I'll post up some vids later tonight.
Looking forward to seeing the singles. We're getting murdered by porsches and GTRs at the track, with the twins.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #872
CaptainInsano
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Peninsula, SF Bay Area

Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)



This is the only video I could get a hold of. First run out, not running any meth. (~550whp?) Enjoy.

Oh yeah the mic was broken, you'll want to turn off sound before it drives you crazy.
__________________
FFTEC 6466 6mt 335i | FFTEC GTX3076R Evo IX
CaptainInsano is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #873
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Cool video. Hard to tell whats going on with no sound and not being able to see the steering inputs, but track videos are always fun.

Thanks for posting
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-19-2012, 12:48 AM   #874
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone confirmed that they went into limp mode when running meth? E92 335 here with OEM oil cooler, keeping pace with a few M3's and M5's on my way to SoCal Euro and went into limp mode. Engine power output was definitely low. Turned it on a few hours later after parking and all was good.
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #875
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

Anyone got more info/details on this?
__________________

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #876
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Anyone got more info/details on this?
You need to pull your code, to know what was wrong with your vehicle.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #877
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Data point:
Went to the track with the following engine mods:
VRSF FMIC, DP's, Exhaust, Stett Stg 2 oil cooler, Vishnu DCI's, Procede @ 11psi (was getting misfires higher than that due to fueling issues, have since switched to Cobb).

Track was Texas World Speedway 2.9 CCW. Ambient temps were 40F-70F. I had no temp-related limp modes all weekend. A couple of misfire-related limps. Oil temps didn't go over 255F all weekend, and I was pushing it hard.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #878
Killerfish2012
Major
 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Data point:
Went to the track with the following engine mods:
VRSF FMIC, DP's, Exhaust, Stett Stg 2 oil cooler, Vishnu DCI's, Procede @ 11psi (was getting misfires higher than that due to fueling issues, have since switched to Cobb).

Track was Texas World Speedway 2.9 CCW. Ambient temps were 40F-70F. I had no temp-related limp modes all weekend. A couple of misfire-related limps. Oil temps didn't go over 255F all weekend, and I was pushing it hard.
How's that osgiken LSD? Do you have the default ratio?(I think it's like 50/40, or something like that)
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, V1, Yokohama AD08
Killerfish2012 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #879
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
How's that osgiken LSD? Do you have the default ratio?(I think it's like 50/40, or something like that)
Not installed yet, just bought. Will definitely post an update when it is.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #880
jbass524
Captain
 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal

Posts: 979
iTrader: (2)

FYI, have an ER competition oil cooler for sale: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773556.

I had to focus my efforts on an E36 M3 for track duty as it's a less expensive option once you get to a level of driving a non-race prepped N54 can't handle.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to make an N54 track-only car. I just can't afford to make a reliable one.
jbass524 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST