E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > any xdrive guru's in here? i think i have a broken transfer case "motor"

06-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #89
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
Yeah i ordered the parts/servo motor from Tischer as well and also ordered "Set classification resistor Part# 27 10 7 557 345" I watched a youtube video about the Servo Motor posted on my thread on the XI section and it said whenever you replace you're servo motor be sure to replace the resistor as well.

My adaptive headlights are messed up too, but i think i messed 'em up my self when i installed my LED AE's, i broke the clips on the cover and i was getting condensation inside my headlights whenever it rained, i just ordered a new cover and will try and reset 'em all as you did via BT Tool and well see if that clears them away.

Thank you for the info bro! much appreciated.
You don't need to order the resistor. When your order the set positioning motor it comes complete. Bolts, o-ring and the resistor. Everything you need.

You just need Part #27107546671 and the transfer case fluid and your set.

Last edited by Humtek; 06-27-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Humtek is offline   United_States
      06-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #90
BES335xi
Colonel

Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humtek View Post
You don't need to order the resistor. When your order the set positioning motor it comes complete. Bolts, o-ring and the resistor. Everything you need.

You just need Part #27107546671 and the transfer case fluid and your set.
Oh damn, i ordered the resistor and o-ring seperately...I will write Tischer an e-mail right away, asking them to modify my order.

Thank's bro
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
BES335xi is offline   Albania
      11-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #91
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

Figure I'd add these here. I never had time to take apart the old motor to look to see what failed. Before I had a chance I sold and mailed it off to another forum member to use for development work. From the below pictures you can tell the worm gear is actually metal and not plastic like other rumors have mentioned. From his inspection he isn't sure why it failed because it was metal on metal and there was enough proper lubrication. My transfer case was never replaced, I only replaced the motor and the car ran fine since then.
Attached Images

11-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #92
Kalud
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Figure I'd add these here. I never had time to take apart the old motor to look to see what failed. Before I had a chance I sold and mailed it off to another forum member to use for development work. From the below pictures you can tell the worm gear is actually metal and not plastic like other rumors have mentioned. From his inspection he isn't sure why it failed because it was metal on metal and there was enough proper lubrication. My transfer case was never replaced, I only replaced the motor and the car ran fine since then.
More pics here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1#post12962481
      11-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #93
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalud View Post
Thanks for sharing Kalud
      01-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #94
Strictly4Boosting
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 Bmw 330xi

Bringing back an old thread.

Seem to have the same problem , i dont hear a clicking but I have the hesitation sometimes where I try to take off and it pulls back then all the lights come on , I ordered the actuator thru ecs tuning for $375 . Should I change the transfer case fluid or just add?
      01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #95
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly4Boosting View Post
Bringing back an old thread.

Seem to have the same problem , i dont hear a clicking but I have the hesitation sometimes where I try to take off and it pulls back then all the lights come on , I ordered the actuator thru ecs tuning for $375 . Should I change the transfer case fluid or just add?
That's a hell of a deal on the the motor! I would go ahead and change the fluid, you're already removing the support mount so might as well take advantage and change the fluid while your there.
      01-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #96
Strictly4Boosting
Enlisted Member

yeah ecs tuning is now selling actuators for 375 plus shipping , im hoping its the actuator and not the transfer case itself. i got the car with 120k , i would get hesitation like it didnt want to go and then the lights would come on 4x4 abs etc etc then the car would be fine

but now i turn the car on and as soon as i move forward the lights come on ..... i get a couple grinds here and there when going 5-10mph before the lights come on, im hoping its the motor
      01-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #97
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

Sounds like exactly what I had. Slowly I would get the lights, then every time I started up and rolled a few feet my dash turned into a Christmas tree. At first I'd hear grinding then it eventually went away as the worm gear stripped more and more. You would know if it was a blown transfer case, if you have a BT Cable you could find out for sure. In fact you need a BT cable if you want to replace it, as you have to reset a few things after you replace the unit.
      01-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #98
Strictly4Boosting
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Sounds like exactly what I had. Slowly I would get the lights, then every time I started up and rolled a few feet my dash turned into a Christmas tree. At first I'd hear grinding then it eventually went away as the worm gear stripped more and more. You would know if it was a blown transfer case, if you have a BT Cable you could find out for sure. In fact you need a BT cable if you want to replace it, as you have to reset a few things after you replace the unit.
Wouldn't it reset itself after I change the actuator motor? I have read in a couple threads that you just need to replace and just drive off. Thanks for helping out , you seem to have alot of knowledge.

: By the way im driving a 2006 330xi
      01-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #99
Humtek
Vishnu Powered

That wasn't the case for me. After replacing the motor I started my car and all the lights had vanished, except the 4X4 light was still on. I didn't attempt to drive around, so I used BT to reset that module. And everything was fine after that. You could try driving off, but I don't think it resets on its own. You have to do it via BT or dealer.
      01-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #100
upstatecoupe

Drives: E92 328xi

Same Problem

This weekend I noticed a slight hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear with normal throttle. Then tonight my DCS, ABS and 4x4 lights came on. Hopefully it's the transfer case motor or a sensor. I will have to take it into my indy to find out. Damn and it's supposed to snow/sleet/rain tomorrow. 2007 E92xi with 127K.
      02-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #101
upstatecoupe

Drives: E92 328xi

It was the worm gear in the positioning motor. It looked like the one in the photo above. My indy charged an hour to take out and an another hour put the new one in. Took a few days to get the part. Lots of sites sell it, but nobody stocks it. They all need to get it from BMW first. I got it back just before the Nemo Blizzard though.