E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > WGPosition = Boost Solenoid Buzz



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
WGPosition = Boost Solenoid Buzz

First off, id like to apologize for the number of threads lately (ive made like 3 in this section). Its just easier to discuss a single topic/issue per thread. The other threads dealt with some random codes and another that dealt with a misfire/boost solenoid buzz.

So, I ended up replacing all 6 spark-plugs and re-flashing the firmware and 9-10 Aggressive maps. I did about 10 WOT pulls in 2,3,4 and the car runs fantastically. Misfires solved! I figured out that one of the two codes i was getting was the exhuast-flapper, and the other is mysterious one that many people get. Best option is to go to the dealership for that one. The only issue i have now is the last one i discussed in this thread here.

I had really bad wastegate rattle with the standard 50% WGPosition so i went and changed it to 80%. This worked great, until i pulled into my garage and noticed the damn boost solenoid buzzing again. Im not sure if this is normal, or harmful.

Video (the numbers i say are the WGPositon %'s):


In this video, it starts out at 50%. At 30/40%, there is no rattle or buzz. You can see from the video that i randomly have buzz when at anything above 60%, it is not consistent, and can go in and out. What should i do? If i leave it at 50% (no solenoid buzz), then i get nasty wastegate rattle on cold-starts.
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (0)

I also found the 50% setting gave more wastegate rattle on my car.

So I reverted back to 90%.......at that setting my solenoids sound about as loud as yours do at 70%. You can hear it, but not more than the overall engine noise.

At some of the settings you tried it sounds 2-3 times louder than mine do at 90%.
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I also found the 50% setting gave more wastegate rattle on my car.

So I reverted back to 90%.......at that setting my solenoids sound about as loud as yours do at 70%. You can hear it, but not more than the overall engine noise.

At some of the settings you tried it sounds 2-3 times louder than mine do at 90%.
At 90% mine is fairly quiet. Is it safe to have it buzz like that? If so, ill just keep it at 90%.
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Ilma
Colonel
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

Posts: 2,535
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
At 90% mine is fairly quiet. Is it safe to have it buzz like that? If so, ill just keep it at 90%.
I have been driving with a bit of solenoid buzzing/farting for over a year now

No boost issues, but I am thinking of replacing them as preventive maintenance as my warranty expired recently.

IF you are not having any boost issues, then just leave them at 90% and live with a bit of wastegate rattle for now.

After all, you only hear the noise when you have the hood open so who cares?
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Ilma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
 
import36's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i MT, E46 M3 SMG
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seven Cities

Posts: 3,425
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i Coupe  [4.50]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
very interesting thread OP. i've had this buzz/farting noise for a while but never had any idea what might've been causing it. i've played around with the wg settings a little bit...but not enough to make the correlation like you have....so thanks for the info. i'll try playing around with my settings when i have some free time to see if i can reduce the buzz...
__________________
Mods: Procede Rev3 9-10|AE Catless Dual Exhaust|AR Design Catless DPs|AMS FMIC|Stett Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV|Stett CAI|BMS OCC|BMS CDV|Volk TE37 SLs|KW V2 Coilovers|Cusco OS Strut Brace|Macht Schnell Stud Conversion|Work RS-R Lugnuts|Gloss Black Roof|Matte Black Kidney Grills|UED Lower Bumper Grills|OEM Aero Lip and Painted Reflectors|M3 Sideskirts| VRS Decklid Aero Spoiler|Gloss Black Roof|M Peformance Alcantara Steering Wheel(blue)|OSS V2.0 LED Angel Eyes|8000k HID Fog Lights|8000k MTEC Xenons
import36 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I have been driving with a bit of solenoid buzzing/farting for over a year now

No boost issues, but I am thinking of replacing them as preventive maintenance as my warranty expired recently.

IF you are not having any boost issues, then just leave them at 90% and live with a bit of wastegate rattle for now.

After all, you only hear the noise when you have the hood open so who cares?
I dont mind the buzzing, im just worried that its malignant to the engine. I can live with the buzzing, but not that horrid rattle on cold starts (anything over 60% gets ride of the rattle). So, if its not malignant, then i guess i have no reason to worry?

Also, what are you replacing the wastegates with? How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
very interesting thread OP. i've had this buzz/farting noise for a while but never had any idea what might've been causing it. i've played around with the wg settings a little bit...but not enough to make the correlation like you have....so thanks for the info. i'll try playing around with my settings when i have some free time to see if i can reduce the buzz...
No problem, glad to finally give back to the community? Let us know what you find out. I hope someone mechanically inclined can let us know if the buzzing/farting is bad, and if so, how to get rid of it.
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,256
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
I had that same issue when I went and loaded any maps over than the 7-11-11 firmware and maps. Anything newer than that my car would make that noise. Sampled the agressive maps and it also did that noise. I went back to the maps and have been enjoying fart free non buzzing solenoids for as long as I can remember.
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I had that same issue when I went and loaded any maps over than the 7-11-11 firmware and maps. Anything newer than that my car would make that noise. Sampled the agressive maps and it also did that noise. I went back to the maps and have been enjoying fart free non buzzing solenoids for as long as I can remember.
Hmmm 7-11-11 maps i havent seen. Are they the same as the 7-29 maps on Shivs website? I would love to have an aggressive map without the farting
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,209
iTrader: (4)

Can you hear the buzz inside the cabin?
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
Can you hear the buzz inside the cabin?
Nope, only once and a while.
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,256
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Hmmm 7-11-11 maps i havent seen. Are they the same as the 7-29 maps on Shivs website? I would love to have an aggressive map without the farting
The maps I am running are not the aggressive maps and have linear boost
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST