E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Tint Removal

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY Tint Removal
Published by BlackBimmer1991
07-29-2011
DIY Tint Removal

Do this at your own risk.

Difficulty: 2 out of 5. Not the easiest thing to do because of the patience needed but anyone can defiantly do it.

Time: Give yourself about 30 mins per window. Took me a little over 2 hours.

I know a lot of members here have tints and constantly get pulled over. Although you do have to remove your tints after your ticketed it doesn't mean you have to pay someone else to do it. All you need is some motivation, a razor blade, a steamer of some sort, and music.

Materials: From most to least needed....

1. Music
2. Motivation
3. razor blade
4. steamer

Music is the most important to this process. This DIY does take a while..

Step 1. Receive a ticket or warning...

Step 2. Move into a cool garage

Step 3. Roll your window about half way down.

Step 4. Steam the tint. Try to get the steam in between the glass and the tint. This will help loosen the glue. The more you steam the more glue you get off the glass.

Step 5. Stick your razor in between the tint and the glass. Seems a little scary at first but I found it very hard to actually scratch the glass. Do whatever to the tint, their not reusable...

Step 6. Once you start getting the tint off it gets easier from there. Continue to steam frequently and pull the tint down.

Step 7. Continue to roll the window up the lower you go. Once you get to the end of the window you can pretty much pull the tint off. If need be use your razor.

Step 8. This depends on how good of a job you did on steps 1-7. If you took your time you wont have any glue remaining on the glass. But if you do, no big deal. Go to home depo and buy some glue gone or ask around. This stuff comes off easy.

Step 9. Enjoy your tintless car....... Pay the ticket show them you removed your tint and then

Step 10. Pick another tint to put on (I don't recommend this) But common the tint looks soooo coool

By g_rant on 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the DIY! I just got my fix it ticket-_-
By jamon on 08-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
How dark was your tint. Have you checked out http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/ for you rules in your state?
By revmybimmer on 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Great write up. Thanks a lot.
By CUTigers on 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
They make you prove you took it off?!
By 90SLOWE on 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
100%100%100%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
80%80%80%
Average 80%
nice.. step 1 completed .. time to proceed with steps 2 - 10
By JSTDR1V on 11-13-2012, 05:55 PM
You don't really need the steamer. I've done the same simply with windex. Good writeup
Comment