E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335 went nuts



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

335 went nuts

So I was about to rip it off of a red light as it turned green, but my car decided to lose power. No cel but car isn't what it is. I'm getting the fan to turn on by itself and the temp shows red. WTF is this?! Temp was 220 until I turned off for 10 min then back on but still no power
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
5soko
Brigadier General
 
5soko's Avatar
 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 4,216
iTrader: (4)

How many miles? check codes, sounds like waterpump.
__________________
Current: ///M5 LCI with Evolve and RPi mods
Previous: E92 335i ||| FBO Heavy modded E90 LCI M-Sport 335i
5soko is offline   Montenegro
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

I'm thinking waterpump also. 55k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
How many miles? check codes, sounds like waterpump.
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,493
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Damn, sorry to hear OP. Let us know how it goes. Do you have warranty still? CPO?
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,142
iTrader: (2)

Yea, probably water pump based on milage. Scan codes to be sure.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
scflaw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E93 3'r
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: HKG

Posts: 502
iTrader: (1)

Waterpump failed
scflaw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

Scanned. No codes!? Wtff

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Yea, probably water pump based on milage. Scan codes to be sure.
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

No cpo. But I scanned the car and got no codes.. I'm pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric335 View Post
Damn, sorry to hear OP. Let us know how it goes. Do you have warranty still? CPO?
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,142
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Stunt' View Post
Scanned. No codes!? Wtff
You have a JB4 based on your sig I'm assuming. Did you have auto-clear on?
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Eric335
Colonel
 
Eric335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SW Florida

Posts: 2,493
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
You have a JB4 based on your sig I'm assuming. Did you have auto-clear on?
__________________
Eric335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

Nope, I never clear codes with jb4. I use a macttools scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
You have a JB4 based on your sig I'm assuming. Did you have auto-clear on?
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
 
KyLu II's Avatar
 
Drives: the shiiit!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vineland, NJ

Posts: 9,315
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [1.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Stunt' View Post
Nope, I never clear codes with jb4. I use a macttools scanner
there's a feature on the jb4 that will automatically clear codes like the ones u get with catless downpipes.
__________________
KyLu II is offline   Dominican Republic
0
Reply With Quote
      11-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

Yes I know. I'm just saying I never used it. I always used and cleared codes thru my scanner but I tried reading codes with the jb4, nothing came up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
there's a feature on the jb4 that will automatically clear codes like the ones u get with catless downpipes.
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #14
slostjoe
NEWBICON
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Springfield, MO

Posts: 303
iTrader: (6)

As stated I would bet money on the water pump.
__________________
2013 Race Red GT500 708whp
www.cmsmotorsports.com
slostjoe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
ajm8127
Private
 
ajm8127's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pittsburgh

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Open the cap to the coolant reservoir and run the water pump bleed procedure by turning your ignition on, but not starting the car, turning the heat to 84, and holding the gas pedal for like ten seconds. You should see water squirting through a small hole in the neck of the reservoir where the small tube comes in. You should also here your water pump cycling.

If you don't see the water moving, and hear the pump, then I would replace the pump.
ajm8127 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

dude its your waterpump...do not drive the car or you will blow something in the engine. happened to me and i turned it off immediately.

you could actually check your waterpump by turning it on for the bleeding process. you have to turn the car to the on position without starting your car and put your heater on the highest temperature set at low speed fan and hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it should turn on.

if you pop your hood you should be able to hear intermittent sounds of the waterpump turning on and off. if you cant the obviously your waterpump has failed.

what you could do though is stop your car and let it sit for a while so the temp goes all the way down and if you are like less than a few minutes away from the dealership just drive it there but only if its a few minutes away.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #17
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
 
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

Posts: 3,337
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
dude its your waterpump...do not drive the car or you will blow something in the engine. happened to me and i turned it off immediately.

you could actually check your waterpump by turning it on for the bleeding process. you have to turn the car to the on position without starting your car and put your heater on the highest temperature set at low speed fan and hold the accelerator down for 10 seconds and it should turn on.

if you pop your hood you should be able to hear intermittent sounds of the waterpump turning on and off. if you cant the obviously your waterpump has failed.

what you could do though is stop your car and let it sit for a while so the temp goes all the way down and if you are like less than a few minutes away from the dealership just drive it there but only if its a few minutes away.
Whoa buddy, he is not going to blow up anything. The car is smart enough to throw CEL and reduce power to prevent anything going wrong. Though dangerous, nothing to crazy to worry about.

OP it is the water pump. Super Loud fans, No power (car can bearly rev when hot) Yellow coolant and red coolant lights pop up.

it could be bad or connection to water pump is bad. Id drive home and then get BMW to tow it unless the dealership is close.
idrift4wd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

im out of warranty and i put ~4 miles since the issue and is sitting it at my work parking lot. i will try the bleeding process and keep you guys updated. i actually found a good deal on ecs tuning actually but do not want to wait until december for the pump.

i had a buddy from bmw quote me 420$ for pump $20 coolant $7 aluminum screws but about $150 for thermostat when i can buy the t-stat from ecs for about $85.

i actually prayed that people would have answers before i buy/fix anything just in case. i will do the bleeding process first.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Whoa buddy, he is not going to blow up anything. The car is smart enough to throw CEL and reduce power to prevent anything going wrong. Though dangerous, nothing to crazy to worry about.

OP it is the water pump. Super Loud fans, No power (car can bearly rev when hot) Yellow coolant and red coolant lights pop up.

it could be bad or connection to water pump is bad. Id drive home and then get BMW to tow it unless the dealership is close.
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
cleex024
Major
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia Beach

Posts: 1,408
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
Whoa buddy, he is not going to blow up anything. The car is smart enough to throw CEL and reduce power to prevent anything going wrong. Though dangerous, nothing to crazy to worry about.

OP it is the water pump. Super Loud fans, No power (car can bearly rev when hot) Yellow coolant and red coolant lights pop up.

it could be bad or connection to water pump is bad. Id drive home and then get BMW to tow it unless the dealership is close.
its smart enough to reduce power but if your engine still gets too hot which it will even with reduced power then your engine is too hot. when you get a red engine light it means stop and do not drive any further or you could possibly harm your car.

even at idle with outside temps at 60 degrees my car water temps get up to 204-209 degrees Celsius so can you imagine when your car isnt running a water pump how hot it would get just sitting there?

trust me there is a reason why bmw doesnt want you to drive when you get a red warning light...means something critical is wrong. something might not go wrong but i wouldnt take my chances as getting an engine part fixed is probably minimum $3000 with labor compared the towing savings of $150.

either way good luck OP and i can guarantee its your water pump with the things you described as thats what happened to me at 60k miles...exact same symptoms and to help you out i got it fixed at the dealership as i needed done asap and they charged me $1100 for everything which is a fair price at a dealership.

if you find the parts new online somewhere you could probably get them for $600 and either do it yourself or get an indy shop to install which might save you a couple hundred but to me its just piece of mind that i dont mind paying for to get it done at the dealership. saving $100-$200 for a job over $1000 really isnt enough for me to go elsewhere.
__________________
Space Gray l 6MT l OSG LSD w/ VAC Race Diff Cover l Cobb e30 l Morr vs8.2 l UUC SSK w/ DSSR l VSRF Catless Dps l RPI Intercooler l CDV Removed l HID AE 8000k l ETS Catback l AST 5200 w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates l ER Dual Oil Coolers l Rear Camber and Toe Arms l K&N Drop In l Solid Tranny/Diff/Subframe Bushings l Bridgestone RE-11
cleex024 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #20
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

thanks for the info. yea like you said, i am getting OEM pump from the dealer and OEM thermostat from them as well. but i will have an indy shop do the work saving me around 460$ :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
its smart enough to reduce power but if your engine still gets too hot which it will even with reduced power then your engine is too hot. when you get a red engine light it means stop and do not drive any further or you could possibly harm your car.

even at idle with outside temps at 60 degrees my car water temps get up to 204-209 degrees Celsius so can you imagine when your car isnt running a water pump how hot it would get just sitting there?

trust me there is a reason why bmw doesnt want you to drive when you get a red warning light...means something critical is wrong. something might not go wrong but i wouldnt take my chances as getting an engine part fixed is probably minimum $3000 with labor compared the towing savings of $150.

either way good luck OP and i can guarantee its your water pump with the things you described as thats what happened to me at 60k miles...exact same symptoms and to help you out i got it fixed at the dealership as i needed done asap and they charged me $1100 for everything which is a fair price at a dealership.

if you find the parts new online somewhere you could probably get them for $600 and either do it yourself or get an indy shop to install which might save you a couple hundred but to me its just piece of mind that i dont mind paying for to get it done at the dealership. saving $100-$200 for a job over $1000 really isnt enough for me to go elsewhere.
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
GreekMaverick
El Greco Capitan
 
GreekMaverick's Avatar
 
Drives: ///N54
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wellington, FL

Posts: 997
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Stunt' View Post
thanks for the info. yea like you said, i am getting OEM pump from the dealer and OEM thermostat from them as well. but i will have an indy shop do the work saving me around 460$ :P

Sounds exactly like what happened to mine @ 113K.
Most likely your water pump has failed.

I got the code "2E81" with my Bav tool

Tischer has it for 420.00
ECS for 440.00 (****When mines went out, not sure if it was a special or what not, it was $375 on ECS )

Good luck
Attached Images
   
GreekMaverick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
335xi Stunt'
E92 xi AW/Coral Red
 
335xi Stunt''s Avatar
 
Drives: your girl crazy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: North NJ

Posts: 623
iTrader: (6)

thanks buddy. i actually got a discount at BMW dealership and buying pump for $420. coolant for $20 and the alum bolts for $7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekMaverick View Post
Sounds exactly like what happened to mine @ 113K.
Most likely your water pump has failed.

I got the code "2E81" with my Bav tool

Tischer has it for 420.00
ECS for 440.00 (****When mines went out, not sure if it was a special or what not, it was $375 on ECS )

Good luck
__________________
JB4/VRSF DP/BMS DCI/ONEIGHTY FULL LED AE W. BLACKOUT/ BBS LM DBK/ M3 SIDES/ OEM M-TECH FRONT & REAR/LCI TAILS/ PERFORMANCE SPOILER/BLACK ROOF/KENWOOD TOUCH-SCREEN NAV/ALPINE/H&R SPORT
335xi Stunt' is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST