E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Issue with iPhone 5 Playing Audio via USB

11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
jwzimm
Captain

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Issue with iPhone 5 Playing Audio via USB

Hi Everyone,

I have been having an intermittent issue with my iPhone 5 and playing music in my car. When I connect via USB and try to play music from the phone the sound starts playing from the phones speakers and not the car! The iDrive shows the track info and I can control the playback from there but the sound does not go through the car. It is maddening!! The only way I have figured out to get it to work again is to reboot the phone.

I am thinking of taking it to Apple but they will very likely say it is the cars fault. Taking it to BMW would be next to useless as well.

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions?

Why can't things just work the way they are advertised to??!?
jwzimm is offline   United_States
      11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
jwzimm
Captain

Well I just chatted with Apple support and they say this is due to an issue with the BMW firmware. They said BMW is working on an update to correct the issue. I'm not holding my breath on that one....
      11-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
awu

Drives: 2011 335i w/ PPK

Are you able to get the steering wheel controls to work with Spotify? Every time I press the up or down arrow, it goes to my Music app. '11 E90.
      11-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
jwzimm
Captain

I don't use Spotify so I can't comment on that. That sounds like an appication compatibility issue though.
      11-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
DjVb
Captain America

Drives: 2008 e92 335xi 6MT TiAg

Yes I can get Spotify to work with the steering wheel control from my iPhone 5 but I have the same issue where the music is playing and shows on the idrive screen but is not coming out of the car speakers. I have to reboot the phone or go to my phones local music library and then back to Spotify. Annoying.
DjVb is offline   United_States
      11-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Johndong888
John

Drives: '12 AW/FR M3 & '14 F15 X5

Send a message via Skype™ to Johndong888
Glad it's not just my phone lol. Did you try updating to the newest one IOS 6.0.1 yet? Maybe that would fix it? Don't think it could be BMW's fault cause if it was, it would be an issue that occurs all the time. Seems like something apple needs to fix

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 - DCT w EDC, ZPP w Tech, Apps, Enhanced Sound, SAT.
Mods - BPMTune Stg1, Piano Black, Euro Visors, OEM Performance CF Spoiler + Grills + Pedals, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, Lux V3, ModeCarbon GTS V1 Lip, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i - Step, Premium, Sports, Logic7, Comfort, Navi, SAT, Alum.
Johndong888 is offline   United_States
      11-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
jwzimm
Captain

I am on the latest iOS, yes. In my chat with Apple support they said it is a known issue and BMW is working on it. It kind of follows actually. The car needs to tell the phone how it wants the audio to be output (analog or digital). If the car fails to tell the phone that it will default to analog and the sound comes out the speaker. The other thing that tells me this is I have connected my phone to the snap-in adapter usb cable (it's complicated but true). This connection to the combox expects the phone to output analog audio. When I connected I was able to control and display track info but the sound came out of the phone speaker.
      11-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
morphius909
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjVb View Post
Yes I can get Spotify to work with the steering wheel control from my iPhone 5 but I have the same issue where the music is playing and shows on the idrive screen but is not coming out of the car speakers. I have to reboot the phone or go to my phones local music library and then back to Spotify. Annoying.
same issue. I just assumed it was the Iphone.

Wonder what will be involved with the fix. I'm still under warranty so no biggie but you guys that are out of warranty, will BMW fix it for free??

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3