E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 chargepipe installation



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-03-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
AndyR83
Major
AndyR83's Avatar
14
Rep
1,025
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i FBO
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

N54 chargepipe installation

Hey guys,

I had a shop install my FMIC because I figured it would entail some cutting/modifying and I didn't want to tackle it at home. I also had a shop install my dp's because I don't have access to a lift and I figured there might be a lot of effort involved in making everything line up and fit properly.

I installed my own JB4 and DCI. I'm no mechanic, but I am a bit of a tinkerer and I like learning how to do new things to my car. How extensive is a chargepipe/BOV install? Can it be done in the driveway with standard household tools? I've found some N55 install guides but oddly none for the N54. I'm debating whether or not I want to take this on myself. If I screw it up is the car immobilized, meaning I can't drive it to a shop to get them to fix whatever I screw up? I don't really have any "car guy" friends that would be able to come to my rescue if I screw it up either.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Mahhvinn
EUROPROJEKTZ
Mahhvinn's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
7,953
Posts

 
Drives: backwards
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Jose, CA (Bay Area)

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
You can definitely do it at home. If you can install a DCI and charge pipe is not that hard. Basic hand tools will do to put in your new charge pipe
__________________
LTMW|SPEEDELEMENT|EUROPROJEKTZ

#TeamStretchNPoke
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
DLam
Lieutenant
5
Rep
579
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i X-Drive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Falls Church, VA

iTrader: (16)

yup you can do this at home. its real simple. i used a video to help but i cant seem to find it.
__________________
| 2009 E92 335i | X Drive | Space Gray | Coral Red |

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
cn555ic's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,287
Posts


 
Drives: Bimmerscoding.com
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Well Torx screws are not your standard tool set that most will have in their tool chest. Other than that its pretty basic tools. A lot of stuff needs to be taken off to access the charge pipe.
__________________
917-939-4980 CODING E and F Series New York Area

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
robertm
Captain
11
Rep
877
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

I was cleaning my DCIs last night and took a look at my charge pipe to check for cracks. If you've already got DCIs then the charge pipe is literally sitting right there. Definitely a DIY project. Obviously make sure you don't drop anyting into either opening once you remove the charge pipe (duh).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
246
Rep
18,404
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
It's quite easy. Even a stock intake removal is easy so I wouldn't let that deter anyone if they dont run DCI's yet.

All you have to do is remove the C Clip on at the throttle body, unplug the Tmap sensor. Unlock the stock diverter valves.

Take out on Torx bolt and loosen one clamp and it's out.

If you get an aftermarket charge pipe make sure you transfer over the O -ring if you get an aftermarket pipe that uses a C clip, i.e. Evolution Racewerks.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, I busted my OEM chargepipe at the throttle body connection, so whatever was used to make that seal is MIA. I checked around the engine bay with a telescoping magnetic flashlight and all I was able to find was shattered rubber and plastic.

I ordered the ER chargepipe from Jeff, and as he states above, you need the OEM O-ring and C-clip to seal the pipe to the throttle body. However, when I look at the diagram on RealOEM.com there is no mention of a C-clip, just the O-ring.

I'm very confused because when I look at pictures of people's charge pipes, they definitely appear to have C-clips on there. Why doesn't Real OEM have the part listed? Are c-clips and o-rings interchangeable or do they work in conjunction with each other? If I do need a C-clip can someone please provide me a part number? Appreciate the help.
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
46
Rep
3,004
Posts

 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Hey guys, I busted my OEM chargepipe at the throttle body connection, so whatever was used to make that seal is MIA. I checked around the engine bay with a telescoping magnetic flashlight and all I was able to find was shattered rubber and plastic.

I ordered the ER chargepipe from Jeff, and as he states above, you need the OEM O-ring and C-clip to seal the pipe to the throttle body. However, when I look at the diagram on RealOEM.com there is no mention of a C-clip, just the O-ring.

I'm very confused because when I look at pictures of people's charge pipes, they definitely appear to have C-clips on there. Why doesn't Real OEM have the part listed? Are c-clips and o-rings interchangeable or do they work in conjunction with each other? If I do need a C-clip can someone please provide me a part number? Appreciate the help.
Hey, I have a stock Chargepipe sitting in my garage if you want me to bring it. There is an O-ring AND clip. Unfortunately you cannot buy that clip without buying a new chargepipe from the dealer.

someone on another post suggested this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ooler/ES39182/

But we're not sure if the throttle body clip is the same size as the Intercooler ones.

You do need that clip. If you lost that clip, you might want to get a Chargepipe that does not use that clip as the interface to the throttle body. I think the Vishnu ones uses a host and clamps.
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
E90Company
Major General
E90Company's Avatar
No_Country
72
Rep
6,140
Posts

 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Hey guys, I busted my OEM chargepipe at the throttle body connection, so whatever was used to make that seal is MIA. I checked around the engine bay with a telescoping magnetic flashlight and all I was able to find was shattered rubber and plastic.

I ordered the ER chargepipe from Jeff, and as he states above, you need the OEM O-ring and C-clip to seal the pipe to the throttle body. However, when I look at the diagram on RealOEM.com there is no mention of a C-clip, just the O-ring.

I'm very confused because when I look at pictures of people's charge pipes, they definitely appear to have C-clips on there. Why doesn't Real OEM have the part listed? Are c-clips and o-rings interchangeable or do they work in conjunction with each other? If I do need a C-clip can someone please provide me a part number? Appreciate the help.
The C clip is "part" of the charge pipe, so you are going to need to either:

Buy a new or used Charge Pipe
Buy a new C clip from ECS like ^ mentioned, if they actually sell one
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
joec500
Brigadier General
46
Rep
3,004
Posts

 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
The C clip is "part" of the charge pipe, so you are going to need to either:

Buy a new or used Charge Pipe
Buy a new C clip from ECS like ^ mentioned, if they actually sell one
Or find a buddy that Valets cars and have him steal you one
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Hey, I have a stock Chargepipe sitting in my garage if you want me to bring it. There is an O-ring AND clip. Unfortunately you cannot buy that clip without buying a new chargepipe from the dealer.

someone on another post suggested this:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ooler/ES39182/

But we're not sure if the throttle body clip is the same size as the Intercooler ones.

You do need that clip. If you lost that clip, you might want to get a Chargepipe that does not use that clip as the interface to the throttle body. I think the Vishnu ones uses a host and clamps.
Dude, that would be so awesome. Would you mind bringing your one with you? I haven't been able to use my car for almost a month, and its super frustrating. Thank you so much.

I was wanting to order Vishnu's, but they were out of stock. I also noticed the C-clamp on the intercooler hosing and was wondering if it would fit, but id rather not risk it and have more downtime. My chargepipe finally arrives tomorrow! Really appreciate the help man, thanks
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
joec500
Brigadier General
46
Rep
3,004
Posts

 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

So I have the actual Chargepipe, but I don't have the extra o ring or clip, because I am using it with my ER Chargepipe. I assume if you have an ER Chargepipe you don't need my stock one?
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #13
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
The C clip is "part" of the charge pipe, so you are going to need to either:

Buy a new or used Charge Pipe
Buy a new C clip from ECS like ^ mentioned, if they actually sell one
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Or find a buddy that Valets cars and have him steal you one
Haha, good idea I just noticed that you have a ER chargepipe too. Didn't you take off the O-Ring and C-clamp off your OEM pipe or is the one sitting in your garage a different one?
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #14
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
So I have the actual Chargepipe, but I don't have the extra o ring or clip, because I am using it with my ER Chargepipe. I assume if you have an ER Chargepipe you don't need my stock one?
Opps sorry about the cross post. Yeah, don't need your chargepipe, just the c-clip, already picked up an o-ring. Dammit, I'm going to have to search my engine bay really hard.

Does anyone know if the intercooler c- clip is the same size?
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
joec500
Brigadier General
46
Rep
3,004
Posts

 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Opps sorry about the cross post. Yeah, don't need your chargepipe, just the c-clip, already picked up an o-ring. Dammit, I'm going to have to search my engine bay really hard.

Does anyone know if the intercooler c- clip is the same size?
Post in the SF Bay Area section for anyone with a stock Charge Pipe sitting around. If there is one close by to my house I'll pick it up for you. Also maybe call up FFTEC, if they have one and my car is ready on Monday, I will be able to grab it. I can also ask them if I get my car back on Monday.
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #16
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Post in the SF Bay Area section for anyone with a stock Charge Pipe sitting around. If there is one close by to my house I'll pick it up for you. Also maybe call up FFTEC, if they have one and my car is ready on Monday, I will be able to grab it. I can also ask them if I get my car back on Monday.
Great suggestion. Thanks Joe, you're a lifesaver, or at the very least a car saver
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #17
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
crystaweizen's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Hey guys, I busted my OEM chargepipe at the throttle body connection, so whatever was used to make that seal is MIA. I checked around the engine bay with a telescoping magnetic flashlight and all I was able to find was shattered rubber and plastic.

I ordered the ER chargepipe from Jeff, and as he states above, you need the OEM O-ring and C-clip to seal the pipe to the throttle body. However, when I look at the diagram on RealOEM.com there is no mention of a C-clip, just the O-ring.

I'm very confused because when I look at pictures of people's charge pipes, they definitely appear to have C-clips on there. Why doesn't Real OEM have the part listed? Are c-clips and o-rings interchangeable or do they work in conjunction with each other? If I do need a C-clip can someone please provide me a part number? Appreciate the help.
I've had my charge pipe off before and never saw a o ring. Part of the reason why I purchased a new one!! Where can I get an oring?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,049
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen View Post
I've had my charge pipe off before and never saw a o ring. Part of the reason why I purchased a new one!! Where can I get an oring?
Dealer usually stocks it.. Its only a few dollars.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #19
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
crystaweizen's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Dealer usually stocks it.. Its only a few dollars.

Mike
No kidding I thought I was crazy for thinking it was wrong for he cp not to have some kind of seal. I just emailed you not too long ago about the welded flange for the ER I ordered. So there's no chance the the ER comes with an o ring?? What about a c clip
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #20
Laguna Seca Blue
Captain
Laguna Seca Blue's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaweizen View Post
No kidding I thought I was crazy for thinking it was wrong for he cp not to have some kind of seal. I just emailed you not too long ago about the welded flange for the ER I ordered. So there's no chance the the ER comes with an o ring?? What about a c clip
The ER CP doesn't come with either. You need both. The o-ring is easy to get your hands on because it has it's own separate part number. If you've lost the c-clip it's a pain in the ass to get your hands on because it's sold as part of OEM chargepipe. Luckily I found mine in the undercarriage tray, but yeah - ER should really provide one with their CP.
__________________
E92 335i 6MT | Balloon White | Black Dakota Leather
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #21
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
crystaweizen's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
223
Posts

 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
The ER CP doesn't come with either. You need both. The o-ring is easy to get your hands on because it has it's own separate part number. If you've lost the c-clip it's a pain in the ass to get your hands on because it's sold as part of OEM chargepipe. Luckily I found mine in the undercarriage tray, but yeah - ER should really provide one with their CP.
oh ok good to know looks like the CP will be put on hold til i can get a new o ring. cant you temporarily bend the clip to make it grab better?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
95
Rep
4,656
Posts

 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

iTrader: (13)

The clip alone holds fine

I just added an er cp and forgot to put the o ring in it when I installed it. It's not ideal, but it still holds under normal driving.

I plan to remove the cp and install the O ring tonight.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST