E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do These Bearings Look Bad?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Question Do These Bearings Look Bad?

http://postimage.org/gallery/4et4r2xe/

I need some advise on buying new ones if these are bad
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
jzxi
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gunnison, CO USA


Posts: 39
iTrader: (1)

They look fine for used. Use plastigage to determine if they are still in spec(probably are). Make sure they go back in the same journal they came out of! Why do you have them out?

cheers
jz
__________________
Sparkling graphite, Cold, Premium, Sport, 6MT, 35% tint, Eibach pro, 17" 159's with studded Gislaved winters. 18" AG 310 with Michelin PSS summer. Magnaflow cat-back and charcoal filter delete. Led angel eyes coded for DRL.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
36

 
Drives: 1.9L of fury
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA


Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (4)

yeah, that's normal wear
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
EQUANT
First Lieutenant
4

 
Drives: 320d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bucharest


Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

I'd put new ones in. It's not like you change your crankshaft everyday.
__________________
BMW 320 dA LCI, BMW PPK - 197HP, 2010, sapphire black, steptronic
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxi View Post
They look fine for used. Use plastigage to determine if they are still in spec(probably are). Make sure they go back in the same journal they came out of! Why do you have them out?

cheers
jz
I'm getting a tick/knocking sound when engine is heated, sort of like a lifter problem. I changed all 24 lifter valve and spark plugs, dealer can't solve my problem they think it's piston slap but I checked it, moves freely no hooks
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
jzxi
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gunnison, CO USA


Posts: 39
iTrader: (1)

Bearings are cheap usually just replace them(again plastigauge with the new bearings). Use a bore indicator to determine if the cylinders are still in spec, measure the pistons and ring gaps. Any other issues other than the noise, oil consumption etc?.

cheers
jz
__________________
Sparkling graphite, Cold, Premium, Sport, 6MT, 35% tint, Eibach pro, 17" 159's with studded Gislaved winters. 18" AG 310 with Michelin PSS summer. Magnaflow cat-back and charcoal filter delete. Led angel eyes coded for DRL.

Last edited by jzxi; 11-16-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
77

 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal


Posts: 4,864
iTrader: (1)

The bearings looks like normal wear, if youre goona use new bearings find the right color code plastigauge to measure oil tolerance. Running a thicker oil should help with the knocking.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzxi View Post
Bearings are cheap usually just replace them(again plastigauge with the new bearings). Use a bore indicator to determine if the cylinders are still in spec, measure the pistons and ring gaps. Any other issues other than the noise, oil consumption etc?.

cheers
jz
Maybe this video will help, I have engine on ground anything I should check?
http://videobam.com/cAWnq
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
The bearings looks like normal wear, if youre goona use new bearings find the right color code plastigauge to measure oil tolerance. Running a thicker oil should help with the knocking.
Thicker oil only helps for a few minutes then noise starts. When engine is cold, no noise then when it starts to get hotter noise starts, then gets louder as engine is heated. Oil pump is fine, no leaks, car only has 20k miles, and pistons look new
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
77

 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal


Posts: 4,864
iTrader: (1)

Drive the car til its in closed loop once the knocking develops pull disconnect a plug wire/coil plug one by one. Locate the cylinder thats causing the knocking, this may help diagnosing the related cause. Also keep an eye out for exh leaks, they also make the same ticking/knocking sound.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212

custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~XxTeexX~ View Post
Drive the car til its in closed loop once the knocking develops pull disconnect a plug wire/coil plug one by one. Locate the cylinder thats causing the knocking, this may help diagnosing the related cause. Also keep an eye out for exh leaks, they also make the same ticking/knocking sound.
Did all that before I even changed all spark plugs, and all 24 hydraulic valves, car doesn't misfire. When it's knocking and I turn it off and turn it back on, no noise then a minute later it starts again. RPMs goes to around 1400 when I start it then slowly goes down to around 500 then jumps to 800-900 then goes back down, sometimes it will fluctuate between 300-400 and whole car shakes, and I have to gas it so it stops, and then it will turn off.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
G-Bus
Brick Boyz
Canada
18

 
G-Bus's Avatar
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal


Posts: 419
iTrader: (3)

Bad ground maybe? ECM ground check all of those...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bus View Post
Bad ground maybe? ECM ground check all of those...
Don't think anything like that. I had a quiet ticking noise, *thought it was lifters* I was driving in the night, went like around 90s for like 50 miles then suddenly I smelled a burning oil type smell, and then I hear a loud ticking/knocking sound like in video, I was paying toll at same time too and since I was between the toll booths the sound was more enclosed, pulled over, checked around, no more burning smell, then continued to drive like 80 miles more home with sound. Next day, stripped out engine started diagnosing.

Last edited by kevinM1971; 06-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
theblackmamba
Banned
38

 
Drives: 0
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1


Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (8)

Might be of some help"

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767464
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
G-Bus
Brick Boyz
Canada
18

 
G-Bus's Avatar
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal


Posts: 419
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinM1971 View Post
Don't think anything like that. I had a quiet ticking noise, *taught it was lifters* I was driving in the night, went like around 90s for like 50 miles then suddenly I smelled a burning oil type smell, and then I hear a loud ticking/knocking sound like in video, I was paying toll at same time too and since I was between the toll booths the sound was more enclosed, pulled over, checked around, no more burning smell, then continued to drive like 80 miles more home with sound. Next day, stripped out engine started diagnosing.
Car never missed oil right?! It's really weird. Did it pull the same? Other than the sound, any other symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bus View Post
Car never missed oil right?! It's really weird. Did it pull the same? Other than the sound, any other symptoms?
Out of 3 well experienced mechanic (15+ years) I know, 2 of them said oil pump, basically oil related problems, other one said if bearings has a little scratch it will cause the noise, dealer said I have piston slap. Engine only has 20k miles so I doubt piston slap, anyways I have new bearings and their not cheap $400+ for 6 sets. I'll change them tomorrow and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #17
jzxi
Enlisted Member
0

 
Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Gunnison, CO USA


Posts: 39
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinM1971 View Post
Out of 3 well experienced mechanic (15+ years) I know, 2 of them said oil pump, basically oil related problems, other one said if bearings has a little scratch it will cause the noise, dealer said I have piston slap. Engine only has 20k miles so I doubt piston slap, anyways I have new bearings and their not cheap $400+ for 6 sets. I'll change them tomorrow and see what happens.
Ouch! those are spendy. If you have the engine torn apart, definately take the time to measure and check everything. Be scientific and methodical. If it is a base engine concern it will show up with proper diag. Did you put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it before disassembly? DO not scatter gun parts at it, unless of course money is no object, which at that point do a proper over-haul.

Manufacturers can and do make errors so 20k miles means nothing. I have been in the industry for 20+ years and have seen some real sub-standard sh*t show up under warranty. I rebuilt an ISC this summer after a "rebuilt" injector failed, over fueled and melted a piston within 10k miles of install. Did another one this year that suffered from constant dpf plugging and poor performance since new. Middle ring gap on three pistons was three times specification. I could go on and on....Diagnosis is cheaper in the long run than random parts changing. Fix it right the first time!

cheers
jz
__________________
Sparkling graphite, Cold, Premium, Sport, 6MT, 35% tint, Eibach pro, 17" 159's with studded Gislaved winters. 18" AG 310 with Michelin PSS summer. Magnaflow cat-back and charcoal filter delete. Led angel eyes coded for DRL.

Last edited by jzxi; 11-19-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #18
G-Bus
Brick Boyz
Canada
18

 
G-Bus's Avatar
 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal


Posts: 419
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinM1971 View Post
Out of 3 well experienced mechanic (15+ years) I know, 2 of them said oil pump, basically oil related problems, other one said if bearings has a little scratch it will cause the noise, dealer said I have piston slap. Engine only has 20k miles so I doubt piston slap, anyways I have new bearings and their not cheap $400+ for 6 sets. I'll change them tomorrow and see what happens.
I have had a oil pump fail me on a previous car (Jetta TDI) and the damage was huge; pistons melted with the block.

If there would have been pressure loss, enough for the engine to start knocking, you would have had a signal telling you that on your dashboard, I think. But this also points to be oil related some how. Since you're there, change the oil pump, just to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
kevinM1971
New Member
0

 
Drives: 07 328xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bus View Post
I have had a oil pump fail me on a previous car (Jetta TDI) and the damage was huge; pistons melted with the block.

If there would have been pressure loss, enough for the engine to start knocking, you would have had a signal telling you that on your dashboard, I think. But this also points to be oil related some how. Since you're there, change the oil pump, just to be sure.
Car is tripping now, I'm hearing all kind of noises now. Oil pump is losing pressure around the nut. $400 for a new one
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST