E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Politics/Religion Forum??

Closed Thread

11-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Drives: 2011 Cashmere Silver 528i

Politics/Religion Forum??

What is safe to discuss on a Politics and Religion forum without the thread being closed or getting banned? Just a question....
1957 - Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Coupe' Drag Car (2nd Owner since 1964)
1947 - Chevrolet Sport Master Coupe' Street Rod (2nd Owner since 1974)
mspeasl is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Cdnrockies
Banned

Drives: BMW's

This sub-forum is a complete joke.

Moderators delete/close threads with no warnings or explanations....often with a political bias.

Healthy debate of differing opinions is clearly not an option here.
Cdnrockies is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
panicos81
Colonel

Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [4.27]
2007 e90  [0.00]
so comments like this one are ok right?

"Personally I'm all for building a tall fence around the whole Middle East. Then tossing all kinds of weapons over it. After there is no more gun fire detected Hillary can proclaim the Mid-East problem has been solved"

the palestine /israel thread was ok indeed.
      11-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Templar
Banned

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
so comments like this one are ok right?

"Personally I'm all for building a tall fence around the whole Middle East. Then tossing all kinds of weapons over it. After there is no more gun fire detected Hillary can proclaim the Mid-East problem has been solved"

the palestine /israel thread was ok indeed.
I know, right?

IMO the other thread that was locked wasn't OK either. Talking about wiping a group people off the face of the Earth is never OK. Sure, that was only one person, but it obviously started to go downhill fast.

Face it, most of the threads here devolve into subtle (or not so subtle) racism, straight personal attacks, or just everyone acting like infants. I have yet to meet one person who posts in this section that always stays on topic and doesn't go off on a teenager/internet tough guy rant.
Templar is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Templar
Banned

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The Palestine/Israel conflict thread was locked for no reason, other than the fear of a potential slug fest. But that is always the case in any political thread, so you might as well just get rid of that sub-forum all together.

I felt annoyed since I was actually personally called out, and never had the chance for a rebuttal.
I honestly don't think it was locked for no reason at all... Initially the thread was pretty civil (mostly the first page), but it got out of hand once someone started calling you out, and then talking about wiping people off the map. It's just my opinion, but I think that was the reason it was shut down. Even one of my posts, which I feel was pretty good considering some of the misinformation being posted (without sources of course), was deleted and I'm not sure why. But overall I can see why the thread was closed because of where it was possibly heading. Maybe it wouldn't have gone down that road, but I don't know, it sure seemed like it was.

Perhaps a better resolution for the mods would have been to delete the posts deemed offensive or possibly volatile, make a post reminding people to keep it civil, and let the discussion keep going. If it went downhill again, then close it. I do think sometimes the mods in this subsection just close the thread without cleaning it and getting it back on track instead.

If you really want to go on about what was said, you do have the option to PM the person who called you out.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
pgviper
Lieutenant

Drives: X3 xdrive35i

I agree, I was enjoying the palestine/israel thread that I created throughout the first page and then I didn't check the forum over the weekend and on monday there was some pretty heavy stuff that people wrote.

Deleting the offensive post's and letting the discussion continue is def. the best option. Even sending warnings to the people that say them. Otherwise your not fixing the problem, your just covering it up.
pgviper is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
pgviper
Lieutenant

Drives: X3 xdrive35i

Quote:
Yeah, probably. I guess the offensive line towards me was "you are obviously a jew".. which is the correct term and a slur at the same time, depending on how you pronounce it. The irony there is that I'm a non-practicing catholic german, who served in the military and lived in Israel to train folks in different weapon systems.
HAHAHAHA, ohh how some people are soo completely wrong. I don't think it's possible for whoever's assumption that was to have been more off!!!

When it comes to internet forum's, you just never know. Some people don't understand that OR think that they know EVERYTHING. I can sit here and assume that everyone on here is some entitled BMW prick but I know that saying something like that is completely WRONG. Just goes to show how stupid people are.
pgviper is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I know, right?

IMO the other thread that was locked wasn't OK either. Talking about wiping a group people off the face of the Earth is never OK. Sure, that was only one person, but it obviously started to go downhill fast.

Face it, most of the threads here devolve into subtle (or not so subtle) racism, straight personal attacks, or just everyone acting like infants. I have yet to meet one person who posts in this section that always stays on topic and doesn't go off on a teenager/internet tough guy rant.
Aahemmm......

I started a thread a while back making a statement about how this sub-forum is a microcosm of what is wrong with our country etc... Very civil polite rebuke to the people who consistently hit below the belt on both sides causing nearly every discussion to degrade into personally insults and name calling.

It had 3 views and was deleted for some reason. I remade the thread and for some reason it wasn't deleted the second time.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Templar
Banned

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Aahemmm......

I started a thread a while back making a statement about how this sub-forum is a microcosm of what is wrong with our country etc... Very civil polite rebuke to the people who consistently hit below the belt on both sides causing nearly every discussion to degrade into personally insults and name calling.

It had 3 views and was deleted for some reason. I remade the thread and for some reason it wasn't deleted the second time.
I don't remember the posts specifically, but I do remember you making that post.

I meant that as a generalization though, there are a few who come and go that do a pretty good job of bringing up a good point and leaving the attacks and nonsense aside, but they post very rarely. The majority of the regulars here though are quite the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
txz4
Major

Drives: 2006 M coupe

Just to point out. Every time this issue gets brought up it devolves into a shit storm. The parallels are uncanny. I would love for peace to take hold in the area, but it seems it will never happen, and for this reason Ive never visited.

Peace will never happen unless there is simply put, a "re-boot" of the talks based on the CURRENT situation and nothing about the past. "This is life. Live where you want, but things will be called as they are"

Israel is tired of trying to work with Palestinians and wont ever go far enough for a deal to be made, and Palestinians will never be happy with Israel in its current or even near current form. EVER.

The way i see it, this is life for them. And it will only get worse. Not better. This will be a one side backs down, or things get worse, situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
BKsBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
Just to point out. Every time this issue gets brought up it devolves into a shit storm..
You nailed it.

The topic just like the actual situation is just too volatile for a civil discussion. Especially on an internet forum like this where any hot-head can post anything they want.
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #12
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

2nd question. Why is it that Politics and Religion can never be discussed at Sunday dinner? Probably for the same reason as on this forum.

Given what has gone on on this forum and the election being over, might it be time that this sub-forum close?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Templar
Banned

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeasl View Post
2nd question. Why is it that Politics and Religion can never be discussed at Sunday dinner? Probably for the same reason as on this forum.

Given what has gone on on this forum and the election being over, might it be time that this sub-forum close?
I don't think that is necessary. Just like in the real world, people need to learn to give a little and swallow some pride and admit when they are wrong. But then again, being anonymous on a website makes some people "always right."
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
mspeasl
Sixties Drag Racer

Quote:
Just to point out. Every time this issue gets brought up it devolves into a shit storm.
This is the way modern politics is today. And this forum is a reflection.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Because the mods are on a power trip and want to be like the gov. and control everything. its called freedom of speech. Who gives a shit if someone is offended. Grow some balls and take it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Lol people need some thicker skin. like the old saying goes, opinions are like assholes. everyone has one and they are all full of shit. things should be taken with a grain of salt. you are not defined by whether you win or lose arguments online.
Snaggletooth is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Because the mods are on a power trip and want to be like the gov. and control everything. its called freedom of speech. Who gives a shit if someone is offended. Grow some balls and take it.
It is a free country, but this forum doesn't afford the same rights that our country affords us. It is a forum and does have rules.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Mr Tonka is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #18
hks786
Major General

Drives: *

What's the point of freedom of speech if the only purpose you use that freedom is to insult/provoke others? I think threads/posts should be deleted when people make comments like "build a wall around middle east and toss some weapons in".
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #19
panicos81
Colonel

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [4.27]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Just to point out. Every time this issue gets brought up it devolves into a shit storm. The parallels are uncanny. I would love for peace to take hold in the area, but it seems it will never happen, and for this reason Ive never visited.

Peace will never happen unless there is simply put, a "re-boot" of the talks based on the CURRENT situation and nothing about the past. "This is life. Live where you want, but things will be called as they are"

Israel is tired of trying to work with Palestinians and wont ever go far enough for a deal to be made, and Palestinians will never be happy with Israel in its current or even near current form. EVER.

The way i see it, this is life for them. And it will only get worse. Not better. This will be a one side backs down, or things get worse, situation.
tired of trying?? when did they try?

rest of it is true though, peace as things are is very difficult..
      11-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #20
panicos81
Colonel

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [4.27]
2007 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Let's remove the politics and look at two facts on how each side fights:

Israel works very, very hard to avoid civilian causalities, in fact, nobody trains more extensively in 'restrictive, and confined fighting environments' than the Israelis - that is a fact.

Hamas targets and murders almost exclusively civilians.

This is fact and reality.

As Golda Meir said, "we can forgive you for killing our children, we cannot forgive you for making us kill yours"

No peace talks will ever be possible unless Hamas gives up power, and stops their cowardly terrorists attacks.
what???? yes they try very very hard

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=17758320

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2157437.html

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/n...nts-occupation
"The Israeli offensive has killed more than 138 people, including at least two-dozen children, in Gaza. Militant rockets fired from Gaza, meanwhile, have killed five Israelis and injured 400 others since this most-recent flare up began on Nov. 28."

unless ofcourse people and kids throwing rocks are considered army/hostile or whatever justifies their killing..

Last edited by panicos81; 11-21-2012 at 10:46 AM.
panicos81 is offline   Cyprus
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #21
Fox128i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 E82

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Quote:
There is a difference between unfortunate civilian casualties, and deliberately targeting civilians. And that is the fundamental difference between Hamas and Israel.
Not to mention the rantings of an Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Cleric by the name of Yusuf al-Qaradawi who argues in short, that Israeli children are fair game as they will grow up to be soldiers. So, therefore murdering them is not a problem and if you die doing so, it's martyrdom.

Any death whether deliberate or accidental is a tragedy, but to call for the murder of children is flat out despicable and sick. How are you supposed to negotiate with individuals who believe or support such notions?

* Ed Husain - Middle Eastern Studies & Council on Foreign Relations.
      11-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #22
josephr25
Major

Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox128i View Post
Not to mention the rantings of an Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood Cleric by the name of Yusuf al-Qaradawi who argues in short, that Israeli children are fair game as they will grow up to be soldiers. So, therefore murdering them is not a problem and if you die doing so, it's martyrdom.

Any death whether deliberate or accidental is a tragedy, but to call for the murder of children is flat out despicable and sick. How are you supposed to negotiate with individuals who believe or support such notions?

* Ed Husain - Middle Eastern Studies & Council on Foreign Relations.
I guess suicide bombings are ok with Hamas supporters too.
Closed Thread