E90Post

Horizon LED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW XI's any good?

11-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #89
jeremicium
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Where did you get the info on 80% vs 60% ?
from Edmunds...BMWblog and autoblog talk about it too. It was very easy to find on BMWUSA before we ordered our X1, can't find it now.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x1/2013/road-test.html

Opt for the M Sport package and you also get what BMW calls Performance Control. This delivers a 20-to-80 front-to-rear torque split in standard conditions in an attempt to replicate the feel of rear-wheel drive. It helps a bit, but again, the xDrive35i is a little on the overpowered side so it never feels quite like a true rear-driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS View Post
Sorry about that. I havent seen that anywhere...can't even find it when I google it.
BMW USA website has changed and is now providing less info than a few months ago.
I found this from BMW.com:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...ckage.html#t=l

M Sport package.

Makes for a more spirited drive from the word go: the M Sport package reinforces the dynamic character of the exterior of your BMW X1, with M sport suspension, the comprehensive M aerodynamics package and high-gloss Shadow Line. And noticeably more sportiness awaits you on the inside, too.

The M sport suspension with a stiffer damper setting combines with 18-inch or 19-inch M light-alloy wheels to ensure better road-holding, a more precise response and an even more dynamic drive. The M aerodynamics package with special front and rear bumpers and side skirts underpins the athletic nature of the vehicle. All details come in one of the numerous body colours available, including the exclusive Le Mans Blue metallic. The sporty character is completed by the Individual high-gloss Shadow Line and other striking details, including the front grille with high-gloss black slats and black air inlets in the front apron.

The interior combines sports handling with an exclusive ambience: the ergonomically shaped Sport seats with cloth/Alcantara upholstery offer drivers and passengers perfect side support and a high level of comfort and are also available in Leather Nevada. A large number of functions are within immediate reach thanks to the M leather multifunction steering wheel. M entry sills and the interior trims in Aluminium cross-hatch dark or fine-wood Fineline light round off the dynamic appearance.
      11-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #90
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2006 S2000

^ thanks.

Although the more I read about it, the more it makes me think Edmund's made a mistake. Everywhere it says Performance Control regulates torque at rear wheels from side to side via brakes. That's exactly what eLSD does in 3-series

There is DPC and PC. DPC is a torque vectoring system, PC is a software same as eLSD. X1 only has PC

Looks like BMW removed it due to BS......they say it provides 20/80 in steady cornering.....but isn't that what all Xdrive systems do since standard Xdrive is capable of 0/100 split ? Anyway most likely just a tuned software with same 40/60

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 11-13-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #91
jeremicium
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Garage List
You may be right Kolyan. If you read the different magazine articles on the X1, many of them reference the performance control and the 80/20 split, but it's nowhere to be found on BMW or BMWUSA websites. Interesting, and kinda shitty if they touted it as such and then sent it to us without that feature.

That said, the X1 with sport suspension and hyrdaulic assisted steering is a very enjoyable drivers car...suv, sav, whatever. And it handles corners unbelievably well for what it is.
      11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #92
kastegir
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Got over 24" of snow this past weekend, and my 2008 335xi coupe had no issues. I just put new all-season tires on it about 2 months ago, and it just goes. This is my third xdrive 3 series, and I noticed a significant difference between the AWD on my previous e46 and on my current car. the newer system is much more responsive with respect to wheelspin and overall traction, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #93
wooddog44
Rep

Drives: 2011 328xi

Very Happy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbreezy View Post
First time 4 wheel drive car owner here. Recently purchased an XI and just breaking it in and so far so good. From your experiences how good really is our XI's or Xdrives compared to other makes?? Feel free to share any experiences where you couldn't have done without it.
Over my driving career have owned a Jeep CJ 7 (true 4WD) and a Subaru wagon (on demand 4WD) but this is my first AWD vehicle. Couldn't have been more impressed w/the way it performed during the recent snow storm here in the Northeast. Tracks rock solid through (about 4" of slushy) snow like a battleship, got the traction control light to come on a couple of times but couldn't get it to wiggle, even when I tried, on a snow covered road up to around 70 MPH at which point I reached my personal "chicken switch" and backed it down to a more reasonable speed for the conditions.

IMO, fantastic!!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #94
chrisbreezy
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92

Personally, I strongly dislike cars that behave like pigs when it snows. It makes me feel foolish to have +250 hp under the hood and yet get overtaken by econoboxes when the weather’s bad. Just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #95
Denny347
Captain
Rep

Drives: SGM 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Are you a LEO and what the heLL happened in Indianapolis over the weekend?
Sorry about the delay. Yes, you probably know now it was a huge gas explosion. I was doing scene security the day of and doing it as we speak.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #96
KG3356MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asus389 View Post
My problem with having a RWD car in areas that have defined seasons or mild winters is the "in between" time. When it's consistently cold and snowy, my rwd e90 with snow tires as good or better than either of our other two cars with all seasons. One is a FWD honda and the other an AWD Lexus RX350. But when it's 30-40 degrees and dry on the roads like in spring or fall or when the temp swings from 30-60 every other day, driving my car with either snows or summer performance tires sucks. The summers don't grip well at those low temps and can be stiff and noisy. Those temps are also really too high for winters and they are squishy and noisy as a result. But yeah it's brilliant in hot summer and dead of winter. I suspect an xdrive with all seasons would handle spring/fall better.

As far as "feel" goes, I can tell the difference in steering feel and body roll between the xi and the RWD models. My rwd car has the sports suspension.
+1000 I hate the balancing act with tire swapping during the "in between" seasons.

I am so envious of the traction Xdrive guys have especially when tuned. I am FBO/tuned and traction is pretty much non existent for me unless its a 50+ MPH highway roll. Oh and that's in the summer time. AWD and tune only 335xi have no problem keeping up with me because I am too busy spinning tires while they just hook and go. No more powerful RWD cars for me.