E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone use gloves for driving/ racing?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Does anyone use gloves for driving/ racing?

This is sorta a repost because I created a thread in the tracking thread but of course I never seem to get any responses because there is maybe one soul in there if even lol.
Here's the repost:
I recently found out that my palms get very sweaty after hitting the canyons or whenever I'm on a long drive. I was doing research and found some gloves for fairly cheap but the only problem is that the palm area is made of suede. That bring a serious concern of slipping when in a turn or turning in very quick manor. I've also seen that they used leather for the palm area and it was a lot pricier. My question is, what kind of gloves do you use on your steering wheel being that it's made of leather?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
rondocap
Captain
rondocap's Avatar
28
Rep
600
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (1)

I just bought some oem BMW gloves, mostly for winter driving use. Comfy and they make me feel like a race car driver.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
Verbatim
Colonel
Verbatim's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,555
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I don't think suede is very slippery
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
I just bought some oem BMW gloves, mostly for winter driving use. Comfy and they make me feel like a race car driver.

I've tried the oem m3 driving gloves and they make my hands even sweatier
I was trying to get something like sparco or something but a lot of them are made of suede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbatim View Post
I don't think suede is very slippery
When I used my old sparco nomex gloves, my hands slid allllll over the place it seemed to have no grip at all, suede and leather don't mix well. It was even hard to hold cardboard boxed without it slipping off of my hands
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Surgical gloves.

JK.

I only wear gloves when driving during the winter because of how cold the steering wheel can get.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
BA335iS
Turbonator
BA335iS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335iS
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [4.00]
2007 Acura RDX  [0.00]
I got a pair of thin gloves from Costco for $10. These work for temps around 45-50 degrees f. Anything below will feel ice cold.

These have rubber lining in the palm (in crossing pattern) that work for me when driving.

I can do the bus driver single palm turn with sticky gloves.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335xi  [5.00]
I was considering buying driving gloves for the winter but I have the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel. Although I really could have used them today when I was pumping gas since the trigger part is made of metal.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Surgical gloves.

JK.

I only wear gloves when driving during the winter because of how cold the steering wheel can get.
You hands never get sweaty after some spirited driving? The steering wheel was never a problem for me because in socal it doesn't get lower than 45f even in the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA335iS View Post
I got a pair of thin gloves from Costco for $10. These work for temps around 45-50 degrees f. Anything below will feel ice cold.

These have rubber lining in the palm (in crossing pattern) that work for me when driving.

I can do the bus driver single palm turn with sticky gloves.
I was thinking of doing the same but I don't wanna look tacky on the track lol but 10 bucks sure beats 100 any day
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2188 View Post
I was considering buying driving gloves for the winter but I have the cold weather package with the heated steering wheel. Although I really could have used them today when I was pumping gas since the trigger part is made of metal.
The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
ndog14
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
1,746
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
You hands never get sweaty after some spirited driving? The steering wheel was never a problem for me because in socal it doesn't get lower than 45f even in the winter
I'm a calm person
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
I'm a calm person
Ohhh I see, but your palms never get sweaty after a long drive?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #11
cb2188
Private First Class
United_States
3
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335xi  [5.00]
Yes, my palms are somewhat sweaty during summertime drives. I used to have a motorcycle and my hands would always get sweaty with gloves on so I am a little hesitant to wear them while driving. It just seems it's not worth the hassle.


The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?[/quote]
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Das_Stig's Avatar
16
Rep
839
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

iTrader: (1)

i actually have the costco head brand jogging gloves with rubber grips, the fit they have is amazing and second to none on grip, actually wish there was a little less grip sometimes.. also with regards to cold, not that bad, meant for running afterall. most importantly great flexibility to me. also have a pair of leather ones.



Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #13
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
i actually have the costco head brand jogging gloves with rubber grips, the fit they have is amazing and second to none on grip, actually wish there was a little less grip sometimes.. also with regards to cold, not that bad, meant for running afterall. most importantly great flexibility to me. also have a pair of leather ones.



Hmmm very interesting, are the pads on the thumb and index for texting on touch screen phones?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2188 View Post
Yes, my palms are somewhat sweaty during summertime drives. I used to have a motorcycle and my hands would always get sweaty with gloves on so I am a little hesitant to wear them while driving. It just seems it's not worth the hassle.


The winter is never a problem for me because of the amazing heater system in our cars, what about during the summer? Ever have sweaty palms after going on a hard/spirited drive ?
[/quote]

I always remembered auto racing gloves having vents in them to cool your hands and to dry off any sweat though? I guess bike gloves don't have the same supporting features?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
accel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29
This is sorta a repost because I created a thread in the tracking thread but of course I never seem to get any responses because there is maybe one soul in there if even lol.
Here's the repost:
I recently found out that my palms get very sweaty after hitting the canyons or whenever I'm on a long drive. I was doing research and found some gloves for fairly cheap but the only problem is that the palm area is made of suede. That bring a serious concern of slipping when in a turn or turning in very quick manor. I've also seen that they used leather for the palm area and it was a lot pricier. My question is, what kind of gloves do you use on your steering wheel being that it's made of leather?
Just buy fingerless gym gloves from target or similar store.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 02:50 AM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Just buy fingerless gym gloves from target or similar store.
The wool gloves don't seem to help any more than the suede ones though
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #17
Das_Stig
I don't drink water. Fish fuck in it.
Das_Stig's Avatar
16
Rep
839
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and that all of his legs are hydraulic...

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hmmm very interesting, are the pads on the thumb and index for texting on touch screen phones?
ya they are, and they're antimicrobial too, not bad for 10 bucks in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:27 AM   #18
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Stig View Post
ya they are, and they're antimicrobial too, not bad for 10 bucks in my opinion
Hmm... under what section in cosco would it be ?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:48 AM   #19
Philz BMW
Slow rollin
Philz BMW's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
406
Posts

 
Drives: 328i koop
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I have found that I absolutely need driving gloves, they make me faster and help me to control the car when hitting apex's and really railing through the turns. Currently I wear these whenever going out, whether through the twisties or even a quick jaunt to the local supermarket.

__________________

Business: BMW 328i Coupe
Pleasure: Ducati 1098S
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #20
gewse2k
Private
Netherlands
1
Rep
84
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 e91 325i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rotterdam

iTrader: (1)

@Philz BMW

OP: I used to use some sparco racing gloves in my e46. And really no slipping on the leather steering wheel in combination with the suede.
It keeps my hands dry, otherwise they tend to get a bit sticky.

Just the looks you sometimes get when cruising trough a town is a bit odd
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
Reznick
First Lieutenant
Reznick's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
386
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

iTrader: (0)

For actual racing ,, I have to . For daily driving. Even when its freezing out . No. Just a personal thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philz BMW View Post
I have found that I absolutely need driving gloves, they make me faster and help me to control the car when hitting apex's and really railing through the turns. Currently I wear these whenever going out, whether through the twisties or even a quick jaunt to the local supermarket.

.... O.O I'm speechless hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewse2k View Post
@Philz BMW

OP: I used to use some sparco racing gloves in my e46. And really no slipping on the leather steering wheel in combination with the suede.
It keeps my hands dry, otherwise they tend to get a bit sticky.

Just the looks you sometimes get when cruising trough a town is a bit odd
Hmmm.. maybe my gloves before just weren't broken in enough to reach that point?
And of course lol I didn't mean to wear them whenever you're just driving around town, id feel like a poser if I showed up at a meet with them on lol
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST