E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > question about the brake service

11-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW 325i

question about the brake service

Hi guys. I just bought a 2006 325i last week.
The previous owner told me that he had done the brake changing service a while ago. But I always see the word BRAKE in red color on the odometer as shown in the picture below.
Is there anyway I can get it clear. It is irritate to see that word BRAKE show up all the time. Its confusing me and make me wasnt sure that I already press off the hand brake or not.

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
asus389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 E90 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
That light indicates that the parking brake is enabled. If its not, have your car checked out because there's something not working right.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Johnny D
Major
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [4.58]
Do a visual inspection of the brakes. If they are good, it sounds like the previous owner changed them AFTER the sensor told him to. You will need to buy new brake wear sensors and replace. There are only two of them, one on the front and one on the rear, mine were on the driver's side brakes.

To install, take the caliper off and spread it open, clip the sensor to its proper spot on the back pad, tighten everything back down. I suggest if you're doing this to go ahead and put some antisqueal sealant on them. In the DIY section youll find steps on how to do the things I said.
      11-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep

Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
Do a visual inspection of the brakes. If they are good, it sounds like the previous owner changed them AFTER the sensor told him to. You will need to buy new brake wear sensors and replace. There are only two of them, one on the front and one on the rear, mine were on the driver's side brakes.

To install, take the caliper off and spread it open, clip the sensor to its proper spot on the back pad, tighten everything back down. I suggest if you're doing this to go ahead and put some antisqueal sealant on them. In the DIY section youll find steps on how to do the things I said.
that's the parking brake light. has nothing to do with brake wear.

OP are you sure you parking brake is fully released?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
princessmt
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: BMW 325i

Yes, it is fully released as I have driven for 10 days since I bought it.
I first thought we need to change the new brake pads for the car, however I asked the previous owner and he said he already changed the new pads. So I dont know if we need to reset something after changing the brake pads? I assume he forgot to reset it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
asus389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 E90 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
It's possible that even though the handle is all the way down, it's not really released all the way. It's possible for the parking brake hardware to get rusted over time, things get stuck, shoes need to be adjusted, etc... Anyways, OP go get your braking system inspected by someone who knows BMWs. Draw this to their attention.

I agree this is very unlikely to do with having the pads/rotors replaced or sensors replaced. The parking brake system is separate from the discs/pads. It's actually drums under the rear rotors.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
nycbr
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi

that light is for both the parking brake and the brake sensor. go into your service info menu and check the mileage on the front and rear brakes, and visually inspect as well. Also possible prior owner did not change sensor when replaced the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

agreed. That light is for both the parking brake and the brake pad sensor. If the pads are new but you (or the previous owner) never cleared the notice... here's how you do it:

Click your key into the slot, without pressing the brake press the start button. This would put you into "Service Info Menu"... hold the odometer reset button in your dash until a triangle icon comes up and then goes away then let go of the odometer button. Using your toggle button on your turn signal lever (to the left of the steering wheel) to go through the different services and select the one that applies to your brakes (it will easy as long as you have common sense). Once there, click the outer button on that lever to select and let go. Then, once again, hold that button until the check box for your brakes is reset. Your brake light should be gone at this point as long as your brake system is good to go (i.e., your parking brake not set and all your pads have adequate use left in them, the sensors do not need replacing).

If the light comes back, then you most likely have a worn pad or multiple worn pads... time to get them changed. If the pads look good, then the pad wear sensors should be replaced. You can find them on ebay for about $20, no big deal.
Appreciate 0