E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > rediculous noise from front..



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
rediculous noise from front..

2008 e92 58k miles.

okay again i got recorded video to check now.

this noise started since i got the new rims with winter tires.

i went to dealer and spent about $500 to replace the suspansion bushing whatever but still there.

really do not have time to go back to dealer but wish to find out what cause the noise and try indy shop later.

so far balanced alignment check twice from dealer. and checked bearing from one of shops around for sec. nothing is wrong.

handle is not shaking and i try to move from right to left from 55 mph no different sound or shaking but that noise.

it can be reconized when i go above 45 ~70 mph


http://youtu.be/-ZdbN7pC0zU

Listen from 7 ~

please advise me
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Help..!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
Karbon
First Lieutenant
Karbon's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest Florida

iTrader: (0)

Well if the noise appeared after you got the new rims and tires it's almost certainly either the rims or tires.

To me it sounds like one of the tires is out of balance. Hard to really tell by the video but it's almost definitely your rims or tires. You need to have them do a road-force balance on your tires if they didn't originally.

I had a weird issue with my previous tires that no one could seem to figure out but when I replaced the tires the issue disappeared. Apparently one of the tires was just bad but no one knew why.
__________________

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
3s4u2
Beamer Mantic
3s4u2's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
794
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i Prem
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

+ 1 to Karbon, I thinks he's got the answer!

Sounds like tire tread noise, what kind of tires are they?
__________________
2006 325i
2006 M5


Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
MrQuickR1
Second Lieutenant
MrQuickR1's Avatar
4
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

That video doesn't do anything for me...is it a whine sound or a clunk/tick sound?
Are the winter tires brand new or you get them used?

I have a tick type sound on mine kind of like a rock in the treads, my alignment is a bit off and betting the balance is off. The noise on mine I would bet the car it's a bad front tire or both fronts bad.
Check your tire lip where it meets the rim. Check for any cracks at all, you would be surprised what a little cracking of the rubber does/sounds like.
I will be adding new tires to it come Spring
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
60
Rep
3,962
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post

To me it sounds like one of the tires is out of balance.
i didnt know you can hear out of balance tire cool
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
Well if the noise appeared after you got the new rims and tires it's almost certainly either the rims or tires.

To me it sounds like one of the tires is out of balance. Hard to really tell by the video but it's almost definitely your rims or tires. You need to have them do a road-force balance on your tires if they didn't originally.

I had a weird issue with my previous tires that no one could seem to figure out but when I replaced the tires the issue disappeared. Apparently one of the tires was just bad but no one knew why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s4u2 View Post
+ 1 to Karbon, I thinks he's got the answer!

Sounds like tire tread noise, what kind of tires are they?
never knew that tire sound could be that loud and annoying had couple japan cars before and never had problem or heard that kinds of noise before. i guess Michelin X-Ice Xi2 XL winter tires are weck but had dunlop sp winter sport and didnt give me any noise before
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuickR1 View Post
That video doesn't do anything for me...is it a whine sound or a clunk/tick sound?
Are the winter tires brand new or you get them used?

I have a tick type sound on mine kind of like a rock in the treads, my alignment is a bit off and betting the balance is off. The noise on mine I would bet the car it's a bad front tire or both fronts bad.
Check your tire lip where it meets the rim. Check for any cracks at all, you would be surprised what a little cracking of the rubber does/sounds like.
I will be adding new tires to it come Spring
got brand new tires and its Michelin X-Ice Xi2 XL. had balanced from NTB? and from dealer also alignment done. so i dont think causing from them. and also checked bearing while i was there. i guess winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Karbon
First Lieutenant
Karbon's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest Florida

iTrader: (0)

If you know what to listen for then you know what it sounds like.

I noticed what speed you were going and listened to the noise. It honestly sounds like they didn't do a road force balance and the tire is off.

Bring it back and tell them to do a road force balance because you get a noise at higher speeds.
__________________

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
60
Rep
3,962
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
If you know what to listen for then you know what it sounds like.

I noticed what speed you were going and listened to the noise. It honestly sounds like they didn't do a road force balance and the tire is off.

Bring it back and tell them to do a road force balance because you get a noise at higher speeds.
wouldnt you notice vibrations before you actually hear anything ? slightly out of balance tire would cause vibrations, tire that will make noise will have to cause violent vibrations to the whole car.

i also doubt that NTB has roadforce and even if they do it still needs to be calibrated and done right, most chain store cant balance low profile tires
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
60
Rep
3,962
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
never knew that tire sound could be that loud and annoying had couple japan cars before and never had problem or heard that kinds of noise before. i guess Michelin X-Ice Xi2 XL winter tires are weck but had dunlop sp winter sport and didnt give me any noise before
many people say Michelin X-Ice Xi2 are low noise tire.....make sure they put them in the right direction....i had that happen once

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 11-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
Braumin
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK, CAN

iTrader: (0)

I had Xi2 tires on my e46 and they weren't loud.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
wouldnt you notice vibrations before you actually hear anything ? slightly out of balance tire would cause vibrations, tire that will make noise will have to cause violent vibrations to the whole car.

i also doubt that NTB has roadforce and even if they do it still needs to be calibrated and done right, most chain store cant balance low profile tires
i have no vibration.. and i also rebalanced from dealer after NTB.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
60
Rep
3,962
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
i have no vibration.. and i also rebalanced from dealer after NTB.
if you rebalanced at the dealer, ask them to test drive your car and see if they can find something wrong. it should be free for you if you tell them you noticed noise after installation.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Karbon
First Lieutenant
Karbon's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest Florida

iTrader: (0)

It has to be either the rims or the tires since the problem occurred after putting them on.

I really don't know what else to tell you, lol.
__________________

2010 Alpine White 335i - Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
if you rebalanced at the dealer, ask them to test drive your car and see if they can find something wrong. it should be free for you if you tell them you noticed noise after installation.
i guess i have to stop by dealer either way lol, i just wanted to figure out what exact to fix before i spend money for notihing like as i did from dealer. i wished a person had a similiar noise or problem same as me from this forum..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
5
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karbon View Post
It has to be either the rims or the tires since the problem occurred after putting them on.

I really don't know what else to tell you, lol.
thanks for the tip tho, i guess ill bring back to dealer but unable to stop by until january since this crazy schedule from my work lol just wanted to get some info before i stop by dealer or indy shop. and it really doesnt bother me beside noise so i might just keep them for this winter and take back to summer set.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #18
cbrf23
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

What did it end up being?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST