E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > :cry: Minor crack on one of my OEM 225 Wheels



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
eriktufa
3r1k
eriktufa's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

:cry: Minor crack on one of my OEM 225 Wheels

Why must this happen when I need the car

I had a small crack (2 cm long inside the wheel) on one of the rear wheel, I think I must have hit something during thunderstorm in Perth yesterday, resulting in small air leak (didn't notice until today).

I lost 20 psi in 2 hours and yes car is not safe to drive

I'm questioning BMW OEM quality now and have to get it repaired or get aftermarket wheels (waiting for suff reply).

Rant end.

No pic for now but I will take it when I want to repair it.

Erik
__________________
12.836 @ 109.75mph (Cobb - Accessport & VRSF DP)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
_ink
Major
_ink's Avatar
Australia
12
Rep
1,094
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure if its rim design or the fact that RFT's are to blame as the contributing factor here.

Do you remember going over any large pot holes to cause this?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,958
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Damn dude that sucks

That's another reason why i hate bmws option of no spare!!! RFT's are only good to a point, nothing quite like a spare in a scenario such as this!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
PerthBMW
First Lieutenant
PerthBMW's Avatar
Australia
9
Rep
313
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 325i M Sports Innovation
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktufa View Post
Why must this happen when I need the car

I had a small crack (2 cm long inside the wheel) on one of the rear wheel, I think I must have hit something during thunderstorm in Perth yesterday, resulting in small air leak (didn't notice until today).

I lost 20 psi in 2 hours and yes car is not safe to drive

I'm questioning BMW OEM quality now and have to get it repaired or get aftermarket wheels (waiting for suff reply).

Rant end.

No pic for now but I will take it when I want to repair it.

Erik
Bugger - it was a yucky day weather wise here yesterday. With the poor state of our roadways in Perth I am constantly on the lookout for pot holes and also general crap on our freeways. It is about time Perth Councils got off their arses and picked up some the wood, plastic, rocks and stuff that litters our roads...what we paying taxes and rates for?

Hope you can get your rim repaired at a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
sbce90
Me Boosta
sbce90's Avatar
Australia
81
Rep
5,563
Posts

 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (3)

225s crack often and if you push for it (argue) then maybe you can get a free or low cost replacement. I think someone a while back took a document from BMW UK/USA or something which stated something about the common occurrence of 225s cracking.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
eriktufa
3r1k
eriktufa's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
I'm not sure if its rim design or the fact that RFT's are to blame as the contributing factor here.

Do you remember going over any large pot holes to cause this?
Rims looks really nice but if it's this fragile, I think I should just sell them and get aftermarket.

I'm not running RFT, running Non RFT Kumho KU31.

I honestly don't remember hitting pot holes because I used the normal road that I use all the time from work to home.
I think it's just premature wear overtime since it's already done 66000 km.

Having RFT is no use as well since it's the wheels, mobility kit won't be much help.
__________________
12.836 @ 109.75mph (Cobb - Accessport & VRSF DP)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
eriktufa
3r1k
eriktufa's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthBMW View Post
Bugger - it was a yucky day weather wise here yesterday. With the poor state of our roadways in Perth I am constantly on the lookout for pot holes and also general crap on our freeways. It is about time Perth Councils got off their arses and picked up some the wood, plastic, rocks and stuff that litters our roads...what we paying taxes and rates for?

Hope you can get your rim repaired at a reasonable price.
Couldn't agree more. our road is crap and when they are fixing it, it will only cause traffic.

It should be around 200 to fix apparently but gotta remove tyres etc... it will cost money.
__________________
12.836 @ 109.75mph (Cobb - Accessport & VRSF DP)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
96
Rep
4,873
Posts


 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Sucks to hear... but good excuse to get a new set of wheels and try salvage what you can
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
chewy7
Enlisted Member
chewy7's Avatar
2
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: e91 oil burner
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Brisbane, AUS.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 BMW e91 320d  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
1994 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
I've had the same issues, both rear 225's have several hairline cracks. Most wheel shops said the problem will just re-occur and not worth fixing.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Ansonlai
Private First Class
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Perth, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy7 View Post
I've had the same issues, both rear 225's have several hairline cracks. Most wheel shops said the problem will just re-occur and not worth fixing.
Will the wheel eventually break apart during drive?
Sounds scary if the wheel is easily cracked.....
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Spider-Wilson
New Member
Spider-Wilson's Avatar
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: F34
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

This might be off-topic..
But I thought you're not supposed to run non-RFT tyres on a RFT wheel?
If so, would that have been the cause of it?
Please correct if I'm wrong
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
drjekl
Captain
11
Rep
788
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansonlai View Post
Will the wheel eventually break apart during drive?
Sounds scary if the wheel is easily cracked.....
Basically what will occur is your tyre will leak air, thus causing a flat.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
drjekl
Captain
11
Rep
788
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Wilson View Post
This might be off-topic..
But I thought you're not supposed to run non-RFT tyres on a RFT wheel?
If so, would that have been the cause of it?
Please correct if I'm wrong
Its fine to run non rft tyres on bmw rims that definately isn't the cause for the rims cracking.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
cartaa100
Captain
cartaa100's Avatar
Australia
10
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

That sucks!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
Ben0426
First Lieutenant
Australia
6
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: e92 325i /MB ML350
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (1)

I cracked my last OEM rims with just 15k on them, then I went after market since.

Last edited by Ben0426; 06-16-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
Ansonlai
Private First Class
1
Rep
161
Posts

 
Drives: 325i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Perth, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Basically what will occur is your tyre will leak air, thus causing a flat.
I think I have to pay more attention to the rims before I buy my car....
But the 225 looks good, sadly said that it is too fragile....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
e36mmm
Second Lieutenant
6
Rep
220
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

83000 kms on 225M's and no cracks. Depends on driver and roads i guess..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
335ive
Private First Class
335ive's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i DCT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perth, W. Australia

iTrader: (0)

Damn! Which route do you take? Gotta take more care if I'm going through there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #19
keungleung
Private
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i msport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

I found out one of the 225m rear had a haircrack on it a few weeks after I purchased the car (used at 48k kms). The BMW dealer repaired it but I complained to BMW Australia and the dealer ended up replacing it with a new rim and apologising as they "didn't know" repairing a rim is not allowed by BMW standards

On that note I like the looks of the rims and would be happy to buy people's spare 225m rims CHEAP if anyone wants to sell any? I don't need a whole set, just something to have as spares if I ever crack one in future.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
chappy
Captain
chappy's Avatar
Australia
19
Rep
600
Posts

 
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane Australia

iTrader: (0)

Had my 225m wheels for 5yrs now no cracks but one wheel needs refurb as I might buy a new wheel from the states.
Costs about 280-300 for a full refurb now per wheel.
__________________
THE BEAST Vishnu Procede V5 2.5rev/Stage 2/ AFE DCI Intake /M3 suspension/Forge Intercooler/Alpina B3 AT Flash/Bird's B3 Suspension/BMW OEM M3 Steering Wheel and DCT Paddles/LUX V4 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #21
cartaa100
Captain
cartaa100's Avatar
Australia
10
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Does BMW Aus do free replacements or repairs? I don't think any of mine are cracked
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
Zen
Captain
Australia
6
Rep
618
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
Does BMW Aus do free replacements or repairs? I don't think any of mine are cracked
Yours probably aren't cracked yet.
Buy proper tires before its too late!
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST