E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 330i increase in cosumption after update?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,573
iTrader: (2)

330i increase in cosumption after update?

my daughter is moaning because she reckons her 330i is using a lot more fuel 24mpg V 28mpg after it was serviced and had an update by the dealer. anyone else had this or is it her imagination?
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,425
iTrader: (46)

Jeff
It should not decrease the MPG unless DME (engine) module was update and there is no reason for them to update it. Unless there was ongoing problem with the car.

I reckon they have reset the mpg counter and it will take few days/ miles to get the correct values.
__________________
makkan00 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
acerboo
Brigadier General
 
Drives: e92 335d lci
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kent

Posts: 3,573
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Jeff
It should not decrease the MPG unless DME (engine) module was update and there is no reason for them to update it. Unless there was ongoing problem with the car.

I reckon they have reset the mpg counter and it will take few days/ miles to get the correct values.
yes have had this before, daughter has gone away for the weekend see what is on it when she gets home
acerboo is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (0)

if its any help mine was always 25.9. even after resetting, eventually it would rest on 25.9.
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
RichJ
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South

Posts: 339
iTrader: (0)

Perhaps the cold weather has been a factor?
RichJ is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
SiofChester
Private
 
SiofChester's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Wales

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

The cold has certainly made a difference on mine
__________________
SiofChester is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,177
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiofChester View Post
The cold has certainly made a difference on mine
+1

Definitely has to be factored in as temperatures drop. Plus any OBC resets will show difference on a shorter term averge, at this tme of the year.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 330i SE Touring auto
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winchester

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Cold makes a difference but more so with diesels.

My N53 330i averaged 34.0 mpg over a period of many months, then had new injectors/coils/remap (dealer said the very first N53's ran a bit lean) and the MPG afterwards has been.................

34.0 mpg.
ALF_E90 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
Cold makes a difference but more so with diesels.

My N53 330i averaged 34.0 mpg over a period of many months, then had new injectors/coils/remap (dealer said the very first N53's ran a bit lean) and the MPG afterwards has been.................

34.0 mpg.


Where were you driving mate, in a vacuum at a constant 56mph?
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 330i SE Touring auto
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winchester

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_P View Post
Where were you driving mate, in a vacuum at a constant 56mph?
I do up to a thousand business miles a week. That means a lot of time on the motorway and I usually set the cruise for an indicated 80 or 75 which gives me high 30's for a journey with not much other driving at each end. 42mpg for a trip the one time I was really trying to drive like a saint. I have had 33-34 mpg averages for the last 50k miles in this car.

The other driving I do often sees full throttle/revs but I almost never use the car for short trips or town driving, and if traffic dictates I can't have fun I try and drive as economically as possible. The fact I just changed my brakes for the first time at 70k shows I am pretty light on the brakes, then again the fact I used to track and race cars a lot and switch the DSC off many times on most journeys indicates I'm not shy of using full performance when I want to, either. I'm very happy with the car's MPG.

We use my wife's Golf for short trips, town driving,and holidays, since otherwise mine does all the miles. Incidentally this - a Golf Plus 1.6 FSi petrol - barely exceeds the 330's MPG on a long run - indeed if you start to cruise at more than an indicated 80 the 330 is more economical, especially loaded up! We get about 39MPG out of it normally. If my wife drove my car she's get that out of mine!
ALF_E90 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South East

Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF_E90 View Post
I do up to a thousand business miles a week. That means a lot of time on the motorway and I usually set the cruise for an indicated 80 or 75 which gives me high 30's for a journey with not much other driving at each end. 42mpg for a trip the one time I was really trying to drive like a saint. I have had 33-34 mpg averages for the last 50k miles in this car.

The other driving I do often sees full throttle/revs but I almost never use the car for short trips or town driving, and if traffic dictates I can't have fun I try and drive as economically as possible. The fact I just changed my brakes for the first time at 70k shows I am pretty light on the brakes, then again the fact I used to track and race cars a lot and switch the DSC off many times on most journeys indicates I'm not shy of using full performance when I want to, either. I'm very happy with the car's MPG.

We use my wife's Golf for short trips, town driving,and holidays, since otherwise mine does all the miles. Incidentally this - a Golf Plus 1.6 FSi petrol - barely exceeds the 330's MPG on a long run - indeed if you start to cruise at more than an indicated 80 the 330 is more economical, especially loaded up! We get about 39MPG out of it normally. If my wife drove my car she's get that out of mine!
Thats a quite fair few miles you do there chap. I owned an E90 330i Up till a month ago, had it 4 years. 25.9mpg for me. hence I was shocked.

Still though nice to know its possible to get more miles out of it.
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST