E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shift Sector Single Turbo Vids?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #287
Dave W.
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

The fuel pump 'science experiment' in Shiv's car is much different than the LPFP upgrade that's currently running in many cars ATM. Just ask anyone who got the new Vishnu/FFtec LPFP upgrade, their trunk looks normal.
Dave W. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #288
Wedge1967
Colonel
 
Wedge1967's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsano View Post
Looks much simpler than what was in Shivs car before.
Yeah, they did a really nice job with this. Factory type connectors, no cutting the lines like other solutions. I'm really happy with it and have been running 100% e85 for the past three weeks. The only time I ran pump fuel was on my way home from Shift S3ctor. Ended up getting 29 mpg on that long drive...

Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #289
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,598
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
The fuel pump 'science experiment' in Shiv's car is much different than the LPFP upgrade that's currently running in many cars ATM. Just ask anyone who got the new Vishnu/FFtec LPFP upgrade, their trunk looks normal.
My tiny 135i trunk is normal
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #290
Ænema
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Yeah, they did a really nice job with this. Factory type connectors, no cutting the lines like other solutions. I'm really happy with it and have been running 100% e85 for the past three weeks. The only time I ran pump fuel was on my way home from Shift S3ctor. Ended up getting 29 mpg on that long drive...

Now that looks acceptable.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Ænema is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #291
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (2)

How is this better than running the E85 pump DIY? The E85 pump already turns the HPFP into the limitation, unless of course this runs higher pressure or is placed closer to the engine, but then how does it cool?

Sorry to derail.
ign335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #292
MikeB@fftec
Private First Class
 
MikeB@fftec's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to MikeB@fftec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ign335i View Post
How is this better than running the E85 pump DIY? The E85 pump already turns the HPFP into the limitation, unless of course this runs higher pressure or is placed closer to the engine, but then how does it cool?

Sorry to derail.
This is an in-line fuel pump system that retains all the factory fuel syphons. This works in conjunction with the factory low pressure fuel pump. The standard Walbro 400 that others are using alone doesn't flow well at the higher fuel pressures which are required for this application. Our in-tank, fuel system runs the fuel pumps in series, substantially increasing fuel volume at the high fuel pressures this application demands.
MikeB@fftec is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #293
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,287
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB@fftec View Post
This is an in-line fuel pump system that retains all the factory fuel syphons. This works in conjunction with the factory low pressure fuel pump. The standard Walbro 400 that others are using alone doesn't flow well at the higher fuel pressures which are required for this application. Our in-tank, fuel system runs the fuel pumps in series, substantially increasing fuel volume at the high fuel pressures this application demands.
This looks like a nice clean setup. What is retail on it?

The Walbro E85 pump (the $179 one in the DIY) is rated for 355lph @ 70psi, which should be good for around 650whp on E85 without meth using a BSFC of .70. Of course, they make larger in tank pumps that will install just as easily. This one was just a good fit based on the cost and general specs and has been well proven in other applications.

Mik,e
Mike@N54Tuning.com is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #294
Sparky68
Colonel
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 2,808
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
are the ST guys beating the RB or standard turbo guys on acceleration? For me at some point you are going to get traction issues as we push the envelope forward have tuners reached the upper limit of what the n54 can put down on the road?
__________________


JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #295
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
are the ST guys beating the RB or standard turbo guys on acceleration? For me at some point you are going to get traction issues as we push the envelope forward have tuners reached the upper limit of what the n54 can put down on the road?
yes the st are raking the RB guys over the coals. the st cannot be foxed with except by a fox body 5.0 on NAWS
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #296
Dmacc
Colonel
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nor Cal

Posts: 2,598
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
are the ST guys beating the RB or standard turbo guys on acceleration? For me at some point you are going to get traction issues as we push the envelope forward have tuners reached the upper limit of what the n54 can put down on the road?
FBIS is making 650whp and with his R888's he's able to hook in second gear easily in his 6mt. He has the suspension mods, the dss axles, and an LSD to let him do so though.
__________________

thanks to MGallop
Dmacc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #297
Sparky68
Colonel
 
Sparky68's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i JB4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cambs

Posts: 2,808
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacc View Post
FBIS is making 650whp and with his R888's he's able to hook in second gear easily in his 6mt. He has the suspension mods, the dss axles, and an LSD to let him do so though.
So there comes a point where without some major upgrades you are going to struggle to put it down? Is there a possibility then that a FBO car without major suspension mods,trick tyres may as well settle at 550bhp?
__________________


JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
Sparky68 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #298
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,289
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
So there comes a point where without some major upgrades you are going to struggle to put it down? Is there a possibility then that a FBO car without major suspension mods,trick tyres may as well settle at 550bhp?
that's my plan exactly
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #299
ign335i
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB@fftec View Post
This is an in-line fuel pump system that retains all the factory fuel syphons. This works in conjunction with the factory low pressure fuel pump. The standard Walbro 400 that others are using alone doesn't flow well at the higher fuel pressures which are required for this application. Our in-tank, fuel system runs the fuel pumps in series, substantially increasing fuel volume at the high fuel pressures this application demands.
I am confused, so you raised the fuel pressure of the low pressure system? The E85 Walbro is holding LP while high pressure is falling as measured by the LP sensor right next to the HPFP. To me that indicates the E85 Walbro pump supplies enough volume (since the two are linked due to line size) and that it turns the HPFP into the limitation. What am I missing?
ign335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #300
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cupertino, Duh?

Posts: 213
iTrader: (0)

just got back from a week in Tahoe with no internet. It felt great.

I'm making more than my initial 573WHP without all all the "supporting" mods (axles, sticky tires, coil overs ...) and doing just fine. Its fun lighting up the rears, especially on those lovely butterfly on ramps in the rain.

Just to make a quick comment ... I'm incredibly happy with the performance gains of the single turbo vs. my FBO+meth setup. From my subjective butt dyno, i know i'm making more power and having a lot more fun.

I almost forgot what wastegate rattle sounded like (until I was walking in the crosswalk and hear it again - yuck).

On the day to day basis, its just like any other car sitting in commuter traffic ... except when you get to open it up and then left off quickly - the sound of the turbo is pretty fun to listen to.
__________________
Vishnu/FFTEC Single Turbo (58mm) 6AT ... 60-130 in 6.881 seconds
Vishnu Procede Rev.3, Vishnu PWM Meth Kit, AE Exhaust, Helix IC, Forge DVs, Wavetrac LSD
#### IT'S FOR SALE ###
cupertinosteve is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #301
Wedge1967
Colonel
 
Wedge1967's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupertinosteve View Post
just got back from a week in Tahoe with no internet. It felt great.

I'm making more than my initial 573WHP without all all the "supporting" mods (axles, sticky tires, coil overs ...) and doing just fine. Its fun lighting up the rears, especially on those lovely butterfly on ramps in the rain.

Just to make a quick comment ... I'm incredibly happy with the performance gains of the single turbo vs. my FBO+meth setup. From my subjective butt dyno, i know i'm making more power and having a lot more fun.

I almost forgot what wastegate rattle sounded like (until I was walking in the crosswalk and hear it again - yuck).

On the day to day basis, its just like any other car sitting in commuter traffic ... except when you get to open it up and then left off quickly - the sound of the turbo is pretty fun to listen to.
haha, you sound like a kid in a candy store...
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #302
The Ghost
Reborn
 
The Ghost's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 1,065
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB@fftec View Post
This is an in-line fuel pump system that retains all the factory fuel syphons. This works in conjunction with the factory low pressure fuel pump. The standard Walbro 400 that others are using alone doesn't flow well at the higher fuel pressures which are required for this application. Our in-tank, fuel system runs the fuel pumps in series, substantially increasing fuel volume at the high fuel pressures this application demands.
Retail ETA please?
The Ghost is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #303
SIKH335
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 969
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB@fftec View Post
This is an in-line fuel pump system that retains all the factory fuel syphons. This works in conjunction with the factory low pressure fuel pump. The standard Walbro 400 that others are using alone doesn't flow well at the higher fuel pressures which are required for this application. Our in-tank, fuel system runs the fuel pumps in series, substantially increasing fuel volume at the high fuel pressures this application demands.
This looks like a nice clean setup. What is retail on it?

The Walbro E85 pump (the $179 one in the DIY) is rated for 355lph @ 70psi, which should be good for around 650whp on E85 without meth using a BSFC of .70. Of course, they make larger in tank pumps that will install just as easily. This one was just a good fit based on the cost and general specs and has been well proven in other applications.

Mik,e
What's up Terry!!!!
SIKH335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #304
Tzu
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKH335 View Post
What's up Terry!!!!
Hey Shiv!
Tzu is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #305
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,289
iTrader: (0)

lulz dorks
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #306
Dave W.
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
This looks like a nice clean setup. What is retail on it?

The Walbro E85 pump (the $179 one in the DIY) is rated for 355lph @ 70psi, which should be good for around 650whp on E85 without meth using a BSFC of .70. Of course, they make larger in tank pumps that will install just as easily. This one was just a good fit based on the cost and general specs and has been well proven in other applications.

Mik,e
So you claim Terry's DIY pump is good for 650whp on E85, yet he already posted datalogs showing LPFP pressure dropping off at the 525whp level? How did we get such radically different views of the same data?

355lph 70psi is very optimistic since Terry's DIY pump is not very well thought out. He uses a T fitting for one of the large siphons which hijacks a large portion of the pumps output. And who says the stock pump was that bad anyway? He removed a perfectly good stock pump and replaced it with a bigger pump, then promptly cut it's capacity in half with all the DIY hardware store plumbing. There's still a big question about how he handles the various siphons, plus the issue with the fuel level sender has never been addressed. There's plenty of datalogs from Terry's DIY pump showing that it only helps a little, hardly worth it for all the trouble.

The fuel system on the 335 is just that; a system. Any upgrade must be integrated with the other components in the fuel system before it can be considered a true upgrade.
Dave W. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #307
Fully_Bolted
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
So you claim Terry's DIY pump is good for 650whp on E85, yet he already posted datalogs showing LPFP pressure dropping off at the 525whp level? How did we get such radically different views of the same data?

355lph 70psi is very optimistic since Terry's DIY pump is not very well thought out. He uses a T fitting for one of the large siphons which hijacks a large portion of the pumps output. And who says the stock pump was that bad anyway? He removed a perfectly good stock pump and replaced it with a bigger pump, then promptly cut it's capacity in half with all the DIY hardware store plumbing. There's still a big question about how he handles the various siphons, plus the issue with the fuel level sender has never been addressed. There's plenty of datalogs from Terry's DIY pump showing that it only helps a little, hardly worth it for all the trouble.

The fuel system on the 335 is just that; a system. Any upgrade must be integrated with the other components in the fuel system before it can be considered a true upgrade.
I've never seen data showing the upgraded LPFP couldnt keep up with demands, his HPFP wasnt meeting requested....

Can you point me to where his Low pressure was not meeting requested?
Fully_Bolted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #308
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,287
iTrader: (86)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
So you claim Terry's DIY pump is good for 650whp on E85, yet he already posted datalogs showing LPFP pressure dropping off at the 525whp level? How did we get such radically different views of the same data?

355lph 70psi is very optimistic since Terry's DIY pump is not very well thought out. He uses a T fitting for one of the large siphons which hijacks a large portion of the pumps output. And who says the stock pump was that bad anyway? He removed a perfectly good stock pump and replaced it with a bigger pump, then promptly cut it's capacity in half with all the DIY hardware store plumbing. There's still a big question about how he handles the various siphons, plus the issue with the fuel level sender has never been addressed. There's plenty of datalogs from Terry's DIY pump showing that it only helps a little, hardly worth it for all the trouble.

The fuel system on the 335 is just that; a system. Any upgrade must be integrated with the other components in the fuel system before it can be considered a true upgrade.
Maybe you missed the data they posted? The OEM pump would drop low pressure to 45psi at peak HP. The Walbro holds it at 70psi to peak HP. The siphons, fuel level sender, etc, are all the same as stock. The same amount of fluid is used to run the passenger and drive side siphon as stock as the venturi jet is unchanged and the pressure (which is regulated by the regulator) is unchanged.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST