E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My track comparison - 335i vs M3

11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #23
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
I agree. Throw a Quaife plus coilovers into the 335i and you'll be close to the M3 in cornering speeds, and pull away from it in the straights.

The AP Racing brakes are great. IRRC Tony uses a track compound on the track, as opposed to the normal pad compound for the street. Having changed my stock brakes recently to a Performance Friction BBK I can assure it's a big difference. Vastly superior also to the M3 brakes.

In 3rd? I get a christmas tree in my dashboard even in 5th gear when it's not totally dry. In third gear I can provoke wheelspin at leisure even when it's dry and I'm on my summer tyres. The torque is addictive though.

Alpina_B3_Lux

With that kind of power Marcel, I would assume you would be driving with all the aids completely off!!!... as they do use up your rear brake pads!...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #24
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
With that kind of power Marcel, I would assume you would be driving with all the aids completely off!!!... as they do use up your rear brake pads!...
Errrr no, because with the usual weather in Luxembourg (rain!) that would not be very wise to do in public traffic! When I went out for a lunch break with a (female) colleague of mine and did just a little drifting on an intersection, that did not go down too well with her...

And when I took a friend of mine out for a spin he almost crapped himself when I floored in on the on-ramp of the motorway. I can still hear him shouting and begging to let off the gas...

Alpina_B3_Lux
      11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Not really a big issue if you have a LSD. At least I don't notice any extra wear but then again the rear AP pad is more than twice the size of the puny OEM one. My pad wear is definitely from braking hard on track. Even on a dry track you need to think seriously about what you're doing if you turn all the gizmo's off. It only takes a moment lapse of concentration and you are heading backwards into the unknown.

Quote:
Errrr no, because with the usual weather in Luxembourg (rain!) that would not be very wise to do in public traffic! When I went out for a lunch break with a (female) colleague of mine and did just a little drifting on an intersection, that did not go down too well with her...

And when I took a friend of mine out for a spin he almost crapped himself when I floored in on the on-ramp of the motorway. I can still hear him shouting and begging to let off the gas...

Alpina_B3_Lux
before or after lunch? Might be a tad risky after.... Not many expect the rear wheels to spin up on a dry road doing 60mph .

Stop it... you are tempting me .... must resist the urge...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #26
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
Yeah but you've got a very special set of turbos on yours
Ok, Ok, stop bragging
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
ant1985
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw E46 M3 / Bmw E30 318i cab

Quote:

Alpina_B3_Lux
i can just picture it !

prob the last time they go out for lunch with you
      02-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #28
rumbleman82
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Alpine Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Sport View Post
I would strongly recommend going out with an instructor they can encourage you to drive up to the safe limits and give you some really good track tips.

I was with an instructor and was able to outpace and overtake two 911 which were on the track. The track was dry and I was braking so hard the ABS where coming on a few times, and in the corners I was having to slow down due to the 911 just could not handle them. I too have Michelin pilot sports and non-run flats. Even the instructor was amazed with the Alpina road holding. However the Michelins took hammering and now need a new set.

I confess I was underwhelmed with the 911’ performance and road holding I expected more, especially to what the press say about them. Has anyone else found this as well? (it could be the two 911 drivers were totally crap drivers)
Yep, I test drove a 911 (997 2s) with 385BHP and -- didnt like it, didnt feel as special or as powerful as the M3, and I hated the gear shifting on the steering wheel. So I got the M3DCT and my god what a car cant wait to get it to a track - that said I did race a 335i on the road and I took him with ease from a 60mph rolling start
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #29
TigMik
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Back in an M3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleman82 View Post
Yep, I test drove a 911 (997 2s) with 385BHP and -- didnt like it, didnt feel as special or as powerful as the M3, and I hated the gear shifting on the steering wheel. So I got the M3DCT and my god what a car cant wait to get it to a track - that said I did race a 335i on the road and I took him with ease from a 60mph rolling start
Im guessing that was a standard 335i?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
Sparky68
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.50]
2017 BMW F30 330D  [0.00]
2014 M135  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]