E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB turbos



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

RB turbos

can we get into the 10s with them. like even high 10. you know 10.99 would work.

I feel like it should be possible now with e85 and all that jazz.

maybe some sticky Nicky's ?
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
LivnLife31
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54 TiAg
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

Posts: 421
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 335i Sedan  [0.50]
Send a message via AIM to LivnLife31
I can't wait to see you up at PBIR with the RB's. How long?
LivnLife31 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Sick335
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 991
iTrader: (1)

Thats the plan, waiting to plug in my half shafts, lsd, turn up the boost by 1 or 2 psi, and we should be good to go... Early next year i'm expecting some tens
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO+BMS Flash+RB Turbos+Meth=
Sick335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
ragingpanda
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

I can see that happening if there is weight reduction done as well. Good luck!
ragingpanda is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
OECMG
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PA

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

The only ones that have gone 10s so far is the FFTEC turbos but that was basically a race car with 700hp and barely went 10s. What is the fastest time with RB turbos?
OECMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Ænema
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

With some weight reduction and an AT trans(provided it doesn't slip) 10s are inevitable. With a 6MT it will be a little tougher.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Ænema is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
E90Company
Major General
 
E90Company's Avatar
 
Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL

Posts: 6,145
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OECMG View Post
The only one that has ran high 10s so far is Shiv's car but that was basically a race car with 700hp and barely went 10s. What is the fastest time with RB turbos?
Corrected. Only Shiv's car has ran 10's. We haven't seen any singles post any times yet.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Randomaccess335
Captain
 
Randomaccess335's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' 335I
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: boynton beach, Fl

Posts: 682
iTrader: (9)

I ran a 11.01 @ 132 in my mustang with a 2.3 60.....I boged and than spun my tires in 1st gear. I got kicked out cause no cage never went back with that car, I Dynoed just under 500hp. I don't understand why 500+ 335's are are not in the 10's. My car than weighed about 3400 from what I remember
Forgive my typing I've been moving last three days and now stupid drunk
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO , BMS DCI's, Stock Guted DP's, DO Meth kit Trunk Mount, ETS 5" Intercooler, M6 Rims, ER Charge Pipe, Fordged DV's
Cybe 3.8" chrome Tips, Lux Angel Eyes
**********12.07 @ 116***1.99 60'**********
Randomaccess335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #9
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,884
iTrader: (0)

An auto with RBs will be capable of 10s. It won't be easy, but it will happen.

RBs with a MT is a whole nother story. That would be very tough.
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
GeorgiaTech335coupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Dave W.
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 476
iTrader: (0)

The AT will run better 1/4 mile times than the MT. I think the difference is around a half second on average.

Shiv's car ran 10.82 on a manual trans, IMHO that's well into the tens. Just ask anyone who's run 10.99
The faster you go the harder it gets.
Dave W. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
 
nitehawk's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,621
iTrader: (15)

Garage List
MT guys need some kind of launch control to limit boost in first gear. Hint hint Cobb Tuning
nitehawk is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,201
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
MT guys need some kind of launch control to limit boost in first gear. Hint hint Cobb Tuning
Limiting boost has been available for JB4 and Procede and later on Procede got the traction control that, on the contrary to the BMW traction control, does not limit the power too much and actually makes you quicker in daily driving. However, for the strip for getting into 10s with RBs & MT, traction control and boost limiting is not what you need, but instead you'd need to have all the grip in the world (track prep + slicks) to max the boost and 2-step to get the boost up already before the launch. Cobb does not have any of the above mentioned features though that the piggies have... I believe someone could get into 10s with RBs with MT given 2-step, slicks, track prep, weight reduction, FBO, race gas, meth, low temps, sea level....if not, add one or more of the following: upgraded inlet manifold, upgraded TMAP sensor, upgraded inlet tubes, cylinder head job.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
 
dlbrooks18's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 3,565
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
Limiting boost has been available for JB4 and Procede and later on Procede got the traction control that, on the contrary to the BMW traction control, does not limit the power too much and actually makes you quicker in daily driving. However, for the strip for getting into 10s with RBs & MT, traction control and boost limiting is not what you need, but instead you'd need to have all the grip in the world (track prep + slicks) to max the boost and 2-step to get the boost up already before the launch. Cobb does not have any of the above mentioned features though that the piggies have... I believe someone could get into 10s with RBs with MT given 2-step, slicks, track prep, weight reduction, FBO, race gas, meth, low temps, sea level....if not, add one or more of the following: upgraded inlet manifold, upgraded TMAP sensor, upgraded inlet tubes, cylinder head job.
And nitrous
__________________

2008 E90 335
dlbrooks18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivnLife31 View Post
I can't wait to see you up at PBIR with the RB's. How long?
you're good haha. hopefully not too long
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
Sick335
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 991
iTrader: (1)

Next year we'll see an abundance of RB 1's and 3's in the tens, no worries
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO+BMS Flash+RB Turbos+Meth=
Sick335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
AK 335i
Major
 
AK 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i E90
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: boynton beach

Posts: 1,294
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick335 View Post
Next year we'll see an abundance of RB 1's and 3's in the tens, no worries
yep. I should be there by early spring late winter
__________________
- Proven Power Tampa Built 6466 ST N54 6AT WR 711whp 637wtq -
AK 335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
OECMG
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PA

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
The AT will run better 1/4 mile times than the MT. I think the difference is around a half second on average.
I read the single turbo automatic only ran 11.5s?? I think for a race car setup with 700hp it should be running low 10s or 9s with that much power to be respectable. Running high 10s would be OK if it were full weight 100% OEM with just more power and maybe drag radials on OEM rims. Like a sleeper car.

We have to look at more than just the horsepower because what makes BMWs so cool is how nice and clean they are. If you are running big goofy drag slicks, mismatched rims, a removed interior, loud exhaust, and too many other parts its much less impressive than something closer to OEM running high 10s or even low 11s.
OECMG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
Ænema
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arizona Bay

Posts: 961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OECMG View Post
I read the single turbo automatic only ran 11.5s?? I think for a race car setup with 700hp it should be running low 10s or 9s with that much power to be respectable. Running high 10s would be OK if it were full weight 100% OEM with just more power and maybe drag radials on OEM rims. Like a sleeper car.

We have to look at more than just the horsepower because what makes BMWs so cool is how nice and clean they are. If you are running big goofy drag slicks, mismatched rims, a removed interior, loud exhaust, and too many other parts its much less impressive than something closer to OEM running high 10s or even low 11s.
To be fair, most of the FFTEC single turbo cars are nowhere near 700whp.

But i completely agree with you, any N54 running ~600whp should be comfortably in the HIGH 10s. Given what the RB guys are running with 480whp-500whp.
__________________
"I'm not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbours. If you put fifty children with Down's syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging." David Thorne
Ænema is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,201
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OECMG View Post
I read the single turbo automatic only ran 11.5s?? I think for a race car setup with 700hp it should be running low 10s or 9s with that much power to be respectable. Running high 10s would be OK if it were full weight 100% OEM with just more power and maybe drag radials on OEM rims. Like a sleeper car.

We have to look at more than just the horsepower because what makes BMWs so cool is how nice and clean they are. If you are running big goofy drag slicks, mismatched rims, a removed interior, loud exhaust, and too many other parts its much less impressive than something closer to OEM running high 10s or even low 11s.
He is talking about stock twin turbo cars. Single turbo ATs are different since the transmission shifts at relatively low RPM. The high end RPMs where the power is with single cannot be fully utilized. Also, single turbo ATs need to be tuned down to lower torque for the longevity of the transmission.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,201
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
But i completely agree with you, any N54 running ~600whp should be comfortably in the HIGH 10s. Given what the RB guys are running with 480whp-500whp.
I agree on this as well, I'm sure they should run high 10s.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Carl Morris
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boulder, CO

Posts: 636
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
To be fair, most of the FFTEC single turbo cars are nowhere near 700whp.

But i completely agree with you, any N54 running ~600whp should be comfortably in the HIGH 10s. Given what the RB guys are running with 480whp-500whp.
Powerband width is important. The RB guys are making close to peak power over a wide range. So far Shiv has been tuning for a flat torque curve that only makes big horsepower numbers near redline. Now that dzenno has broken 600ft/lbs at the wheels without breaking anything I'd like to see Shiv tune for that torque level and let it fall off a bit on top end if he runs out of turbo or fuel or whatever. At that point it'll be way easier to run 10s with a single.
Carl Morris is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Sick335
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 991
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj View Post
yep. I should be there by early spring late winter
I should be there after i get my half shafts, lsd, and possibly an E85 tune(under question), so, definitely before summer
__________________

JB4 G5 ISO+BMS Flash+RB Turbos+Meth=
Sick335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST