E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Review of RemoteKEY+ and notes on install

01-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
jwzimm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

Review of RemoteKEY+ and notes on install

Hey all,

I just wanted to give my impressions of the RemoteKEY+. I got my 2011 335i back in August and I failed to order the alarm option. I was dismayed to discover that when you do not get the alarm you get no audible lock and unlock confirmation. As other have said, it is amazing that a high end car like this would not include this functionality.

Enter the RemoteKEY+. This unit is the perfect solution to this issue. I did not need the full functionality of an alarm. Honestly these cars are very difficult to steal with their electronic keys and all. The bottom line is, if a thief wants your car, they will take it anyways. The RemoteKEY+ emulates the "facade" of an alarm without the expense of a full up alarm system. I now get my audible lock and unlock confirmations and it even blinks the "clown nose" in the mirror. I can also program it to open all my windows and the sunroof on unlock without holding the remote the whole time PLUS I can close everything with the remote now too!! It even folds in the mirrors for me.

As for the install, it is really quite easy. I think the most difficult part was folding myself in half in the passenger footwell to tap into the car wiring. The best place to get the installation instructions is on the mods4cars website. http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...action=manuals

The instructions on their website are done on an M3 however. One thing I found was that I did not need to remove the ECU carrier from it's box to access the passthrough hole. I did not have an ECU in that box though. I think this is either an M3 thing or and LCI thing. Either way this made things a little easier. The wire harnesses that come with the RemoteKEY+ are very well made with all the correct terminals to pin in to the OEM plugs and are wrapped in expando sleeving making them very clean. Overall, the install took me about 1.5 hours. I am sure if I had to do it again it would take me at most an hour now that I know how to access everything.

One thing that scared me a little was when I went to start the car after the install I got a maintenance required notice and that the AWD system was down. I think this was a result of me disconnecting the control unit in the passenger footwell to access it's wiring. If I were to do it again I would disconnect the battery to avoid this. In either case the error cleared as soon as I started to drive.

Overall, a great unit!!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E91 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
One thing that scared me a little was when I went to start the car after the install I got a maintenance required notice and that the AWD system was down. I think this was a result of me disconnecting the control unit in the passenger footwell to access it's wiring. If I were to do it again I would disconnect the battery to avoid this. In either case the error cleared as soon as I started to drive.
Disconnecting the battery in xDrive cars actually will CAUSE this error code without any other change or disconnecting having occurred. Driving around the block always clears it, and I have been told (but I have never verified) that turning the wheel lock-to-lock-to-lock clears it. Doesn't happen with non Xdrive, happens with every E9x Xdrive vehicle we've worked on (including my own). So I don't think you could have dodged it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
jwzimm
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 335i X-drive Coupe

That's good to know. I was just glad the issue cleared.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
B-737
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Carrera C2 993

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [3.63]
95 Carrera C2 993  [0.00]
if you want an alarm, you can piggy back a basic Can-Bus alarm, and it will play nice with the RemoteKey+, thats what i had done when i had the RK+ installed in my car.

i love the RK+, its a great product, and Mods4Cars is a company that will stand behind their product, they are great to work with and are very open to communicate with those who use their products.
      11-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
starbai
Captain
Guyana
Rep

Drives: 09 335i Sedan

thanks for the review... i've been pricing alarm options lately and dont think its really worth it... gonna go this route instead...

Way I figure it... full aftermarket installed alarm w/remote start and obtaining a 3rd key for it.... OR Cobb Accessport + remoteKey+ and still have a hundred bucks or so for all the extra gas i'll be burning the first few weeks playing around with the Cobb
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep

Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Disconnecting the battery in xDrive cars actually will CAUSE this error code without any other change or disconnecting having occurred. Driving around the block always clears it, and I have been told (but I have never verified) that turning the wheel lock-to-lock-to-lock clears it. Doesn't happen with non Xdrive, happens with every E9x Xdrive vehicle we've worked on (including my own). So I don't think you could have dodged it.
exactly, it just needs to relearn

Slammed E90. One of the First. Stay Fitted
Appreciate 0