E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > What is the ideal radar for SoCal? (title corrected)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #45
WilliamS
GoofBall
 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

in terms of sensativity they are nearly identical. I love both of them but the Passport wins my current vote. I do a lot of driving so all radars on is important to me. If you are local to 1 city and no worries on older police cars or depts then go nuts with the Valentine. Great radars either way you can really lose in this decision.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #46
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
 
cbad335's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cardiff-by-the-Sea, CA

Posts: 1,733
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there...

I'm my way to work my V1 picked up a radar signal, and I noticed it was increasing in strength. Soon it got to the point where I realized I was approaching it. LONGGGG before I even saw what it was, it clearly notified me that up ahead my speed was about to be taken. Turns out it was one of the speed reading signs that tells you your mph. That said, if it had been a cop that my V1 was picking up on, I would've definitely been in the clear because the V1 gave me a huggge heads up before hand. +1 for V1
Except that the speed reading sign was using K band. Law enforcement in CA use Ka band and laser. Turn off K in CA.
__________________

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
cbad335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbad335 View Post
Except that the speed reading sign was using K band. Law enforcement in CA use Ka band and laser. Turn off K in CA.
So I've heard... is there a concrete info source that can validate that besides hear say? I'd hate to disable K and X and then be popped with it later down the road.
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #48
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pasadena, California

Posts: 390
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to bboy8282
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
So I've heard... is there a concrete info source that can validate that besides hear say? I'd hate to disable K and X and then be popped with it later down the road.
K is a hit and miss...where i live in california (Pasadena) some officers still use K...but its very rare
bboy8282 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #49
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid For Life View Post
If I was in your shoes OP, this post would have sealed the deal for me. When a professional(CHP) says the V1 is good he's saying it for a reason.
I'm taking it into serious consideration now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282 View Post
Hands down either the V1 or escort 9500ix...V1 if u do more freeway/highway driving...and escort if u do more city/street driving
What if I speed normally? I usually hit the freeway at 80 (traffic speed)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #50
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
in terms of sensativity they are nearly identical. I love both of them but the Passport wins my current vote. I do a lot of driving so all radars on is important to me. If you are local to 1 city and no worries on older police cars or depts then go nuts with the Valentine. Great radars either way you can really lose in this decision.
Hmm... whenever I see comparison tests, the v1 always signalled me about 1 to 2 seconds ahead and those few seconds count when you're flying at 80. Which passport do you have?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #51
WilliamS
GoofBall
 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Hmm... whenever I see comparison tests, the v1 always signalled me about 1 to 2 seconds ahead and those few seconds count when you're flying at 80. Which passport do you have?
9500I. Love it. Again Im not biased as Ive had them both. If you are ok with falses but need those arrows then thats the way to go. I refuse to turn off any bands of radar after I spend $400 bucks. My V1 treated me very well and I do miss knowing where the radar comes from but at the same time I dont miss every CVS, WalMart, Speed Sign, Airport, 7-11 setting mine off. Also the Screen acts as a spedo on the passport so you know how fast you are actually going instead of what the gauge in the dash is making you think your going.

In terms of sensativity it depends on where it mounted, how its mounted and so on. They are truly apples and apples. The downside of the Passport is when the radar goes off the red light starts flashing, your screen tells you how fast your going incase you didnt know, then it tells you the band. Audible will give away which band as they all have thier own distinct sound but as a beginner you will panic every time till you know.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #52
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

My roommate has the escort 9500... and that motherfucker goes off like 3 times on the way to the gym (about a few blocks away). He's ALWAYS having to silence it, and I'm like "WTF? What's the point of a radar detector if you're already used to thinking that every signal is a false positive?"

Then I bought a V1, put it in Advanced Logic mode, and have been happy I didn't get the 9500.
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #53
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
9500I. Love it. Again Im not biased as Ive had them both. If you are ok with falses but need those arrows then thats the way to go. I refuse to turn off any bands of radar after I spend $400 bucks. My V1 treated me very well and I do miss knowing where the radar comes from but at the same time I dont miss every CVS, WalMart, Speed Sign, Airport, 7-11 setting mine off. Also the Screen acts as a spedo on the passport so you know how fast you are actually going instead of what the gauge in the dash is making you think your going.

In terms of sensativity it depends on where it mounted, how its mounted and so on. They are truly apples and apples. The downside of the Passport is when the radar goes off the red light starts flashing, your screen tells you how fast your going incase you didnt know, then it tells you the band. Audible will give away which band as they all have thier own distinct sound but as a beginner you will panic every time till you know.
That was one of the ups that I liked about the 9500ix, the digital display seems to be very helpful but then again the arrows seem to help as well. Do you have passport live? I hear that helps with the positioning of where the cops are. Now I'm confused on which I want now. The 9500's seem to be certain but a bit slower and the v1 seems to be quicker but more false readings. If you got rid of your v1 and still have the 9500, that should say a lot. What kind of driving do you do? A lot of city or hwy? Which is easier to operate in terms of turning things on and off? And which is easier to hardwire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
My roommate has the escort 9500... and that motherfucker goes off like 3 times on the way to the gym (about a few blocks away). He's ALWAYS having to silence it, and I'm like "WTF? What's the point of a radar detector if you're already used to thinking that every signal is a false positive?"

Then I bought a V1, put it in Advanced Logic mode, and have been happy I didn't get the 9500.
Hmmmm a 9500 giving false alerts? O.o does your v1 ever throw false alerts? I always thought that the 9500's had an anti false filter. Has he updated it recently? (Thru the computer)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #54
WilliamS
GoofBall
 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

The 9500i and 9500xi both can remove false signal by GPS, so your friend that has one has no idea how to use his radar. To get rid of a false alarm forever, push the silent button 3x and its gone forever.

I drive 80% highway 20% city. Which isnt a small city by any means. They both hardwire the same, they both operate essentially the same. The 9500 has the upside of removing false alarms in 2 ways. You can do it yourself with the silent button, or after x amount of times if the radar is seen as a non threat it will remove it. As well on the fly you can mark normal speed traps so you have that reminder.

Both great radars, your not losing with either one.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #55
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
The 9500i and 9500xi both can remove false signal by GPS, so your friend that has one has no idea how to use his radar. To get rid of a false alarm forever, push the silent button 3x and its gone forever.

I drive 80% highway 20% city. Which isnt a small city by any means. They both hardwire the same, they both operate essentially the same. The 9500 has the upside of removing false alarms in 2 ways. You can do it yourself with the silent button, or after x amount of times if the radar is seen as a non threat it will remove it. As well on the fly you can mark normal speed traps so you have that reminder.

Both great radars, your not losing with either one.
What if I drive about the same in reverse? 80% city and 20% hwy? When I'm on the freeway, I admit I have a bit of a lead foot. I usually drive 80 on the freeway and obey speeds (for the most part) on the streets. I think I might try the 9500ix first and then a v1. The one I tested before was I think a regular 9500I (not sure what the difference is.) The 9500 was hardwired and the v1 was cig lighter adapted. They were both mounted a finger below the rear view's sensor and the v1 seem to be faster on the street but hwy, it wasn't as fast but still faster than the 9500 by a second or half second. Is your 9500 hardwired? Would it matter?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #56
WilliamS
GoofBall
 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

The 9500i and IX both have GPS. The IX comes preloaded with red light cameras, speed cameras, and speed traps preloaded. The I does not. The I and IX will learn automatic doors after 3 passes, or you can just silence them the first time by pushing the silent button 3x.

Your mileage may vary but in terms of them both giving me warning they were both hung from Blend Mounts in my Caddilac and both gave me the same amont of distance to slow down. Sometime too much as they get a signal from so far away it takes a mile to even see the cop.
WilliamS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #57
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
The 9500i and IX both have GPS. The IX comes preloaded with red light cameras, speed cameras, and speed traps preloaded. The I does not. The I and IX will learn automatic doors after 3 passes, or you can just silence them the first time by pushing the silent button 3x.

Your mileage may vary but in terms of them both giving me warning they were both hung from Blend Mounts in my Caddilac and both gave me the same amont of distance to slow down. Sometime too much as they get a signal from so far away it takes a mile to even see the cop.
How is the sensitivity compaired to the v1? When I did my testing, the v1 rang before the ix did by at least a a second or a few feet. I want the sensitivity and the arrows but I'm pretty sure there's no way to retrofit it or make it more sensitive. Do you have escort live?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #58
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel
 
techwhiz's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, Ca

Posts: 1,652
iTrader: (3)

I have buddies that swear by the Escort.
I have a V1. I have had other brands. I got the V1 for remote display, potential Android interface, and a few other things.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but a $40 Best Buy special is a waste of cash.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #59
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I have buddies that swear by the Escort.
I have a V1. I have had other brands. I got the V1 for remote display, potential Android interface, and a few other things.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but a $40 Best Buy special is a waste of cash.
Is the remote display on the android like the escort's live feature? Like it shows you where the police are exactly with gps and what not? By $40 special are you talking about the cheapo radars that are nothing more than paper weight?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #60
WilliamS
GoofBall
 
Drives: 2008 E92 N54 Xdrive
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 818
iTrader: (1)

I do not have escort live as I dont feel I need it. The radar hasnt let me down yet. As well for Escort live to work there have to be many people with it. I cant imagine the saturation for that product is that high yet
WilliamS is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #61
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyguy View Post
I do not have escort live as I dont feel I need it. The radar hasnt let me down yet. As well for Escort live to work there have to be many people with it. I cant imagine the saturation for that product is that high yet
True, at least for in my area anyways. I doubt people are gonna fork over 40 bucks for nothing though because I know most people aren't gonna press the alert button anyways
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #62
jamis
Registered
 
Drives: red & shiny
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas, Texas

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

best radar detector

I recommend you the top 20 best radar detectors of 2012 and the trusted brands such as Whistler Radar, Cobra, Escort, Beltronics and MFX2.
jamis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #63
DanielGonz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E92 335i 6 speed
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal (OC)

Posts: 564
iTrader: (0)

V1 saved me 2 nights ago.... Got the guy I was pacing with instead of me since I backed off after my V1 started going nuts.

1 month in and it already payed for itself.

__________________

07 AW E92 335 6MT [18" OEM 193's For Sale, PM me]
OEM Aero Lip | OEM Gloss Black Kidney Grills | KW V2 | Vorsteiner CSL trunk | M-Tech Rear Bumper | LCI Rear Taillights | Angel ibright Angel Eyes | 3000K HID fogs | 6000k HID low beams | AFE DCI | Full LED conversion
DanielGonz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #64
kiwi29
Team iTouge
 
kiwi29's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamis View Post
I recommend you the top 20 best radar detectors of 2012 and the trusted brands such as Whistler Radar, Cobra, Escort, Beltronics and MFX2.
Thank you! ill be reading more into those

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
V1 saved me 2 nights ago.... Got the guy I was pacing with instead of me since I backed off after my V1 started going nuts.

1 month in and it already payed for itself.

Very nice this is the reason I'm deciding on the v1 !
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
kiwi29 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #65
NoTempoLimitN54
Second Lieutenant
 
NoTempoLimitN54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 236
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkw1sh View Post
One other thing, in LA cops dont really use Lasers, or they only use them when your all alone on the freeway, we have way to many lazy cops, and they do not like to point and shoot, they just have their Ka band on and look for big numbers
I've had a V1 since late 2009 and upgraded it in July of this year. I can recommend it. I use it for road trips only. There's a learning curve. You have to learn how to interpret it which takes time. But I have seen my V1 pick up speed traps from beyond visual distance more times than I can count. Since the upgrade (traffic monitor filter which really works) and turning off X band, my falses have gone way down. When it does go off I slow down to a "safe" speed until I determine there is no threat.

I haven't seen too many speed traps on major freeways in LA. I think the cops assume you aren't going to be going very fast due to sht traffic (true except late at night). It's generally known that the "tolerance" level in LA is about 80.

The one time I got busted the CHP paced me from behind on I-10. With the dark ass tints my E39 came with I could not see him, and my V1 was silent. That one was my fault - it was Labor Day. They were out looking for drunks (big $$$). CHP wasn't an arsehole to me (I wasn't drunk) but I still got the ticket (they just write "80" as your speed even though you were going faster if you don't antagonize the cop). Did the stupid traffic school scam thing.

I've only seen laser being used in one place: On the North slope of Laurel Canyon Boulevard, there is a local motorcycle cop that hides, literally in driveways, and pops the drivers coming down the hill. I don't think any laser detector would help here. But I spotted him long ago and always haul my E92 down to indicated 40 once the road straightens out. I swear I can see a look on his face like "that's a fast BMW why is the guy going the speed limit".

I was wondering how he can get away with doing that in people's driveways. I think it's because his bike is on the sidewalk which is city property.

BTW, if you think laser radar (LIDAR) guns suck, you have GEICO to thank for funding their development and giving them free of charge to police to write tickets so they can raise insurance rates on the victims. Don't give GEICO your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGonz View Post
V1 saved me 2 nights ago.... Got the guy I was pacing with instead of me since I backed off after my V1 started going nuts. 1 month in and it already payed for itself.
That's a perfect image to show the V1 at work. When you get a alert that strong (see the row of LED's) you slow the hell down NOW. Let the other poor bastard pay the "selective highway users tax".
__________________

2009 335i 6MT (E92/N54), Black Sapphire / Shadowline (Individual 760) / Black Dakota Leather, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, PDC, no Nav/iDrive, 19 x 8.5 / 19 x 9.5 VMR VB3 in Hyper Black, Pilot Super Sport 235/35 fr 265/30 rr, M3 control arms + tension links (fr)
NoTempoLimitN54 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST