E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone have thisany problems?

12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
philiphilip

Drives: Graphite 2008 BMW 335i SP

(Title should say "this MANY problems..." --> Fat fingers on iphone..)

I got the car in May 2011. 2008 335i sedan.

Not long after buying it, car had HPFP issues, and it took bmw 3 months and 2 dealerships to realize (or admit) that all the injectors and plugs had to be replaced. Since then I have had a leaking transmission gasket, oil leaking down the front of the engine, a cracked turbo waste gate, and last week the service engine soon light came on. They replaced the engine thermostat. Got the car back last Tuesday, drove fine rest of the week and car sat in the garage most of the weekend. Then monday morning the fan keeps turning non-stop, and after 10 min the engine starts overheating (gauge on instrument cluster still shows below 200 degrees). 30 seconds later computer tells me engine is too hot and cuts power. After tow to dealer, apparently the water pump doesn't work.

Is this normal and comes with the awesome 335 territory, or is my 335 just "special?" Does anyone else have these or this many issues? Should I bring this up to BMW NA or the dealer or just suck it up and be happy I'm under warranty?
philiphilip is offline   United_States
      12-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Luck of the draw fella, welcome to the N54 crapshoot.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
BOBKUR
Major

Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiphilip View Post

Not long after buying it, car had HPFP issues, and it took bmw 3 months and 2 dealerships to realize (or admit) that all the injectors and plugs had to be replaced. Since then I have had a leaking transmission gasket, oil leaking down the front of the engine, a cracked turbo waste gate, and last week the service engine soon light came on. They replaced the engine thermostat. Got the car back last Tuesday, drove fine rest of the week and car sat in the garage most of the weekend. Then monday morning the fan keeps turning non-stop, and after 10 min the engine starts overheating (gauge on instrument cluster still shows below 200 degrees). 30 seconds later computer tells me engine is too hot and cuts power. After tow to dealer, apparently the water pump doesn't work.

Is this normal and comes with the awesome 335 territory, or is my 335 just "special?" Does anyone else have these or this many issues? Should I bring this up to BMW NA or the dealer or just suck it up and be happy I'm under warranty?
You have a LEMON make them buy it back.
      12-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
RMG
RMG

Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:

..no, not normal. I owned 3 X e9x, two of them with N54 and didn't have ANY problems. Although I drive my cars hard every day in all weather conditions possible I take good care of them (right oil, only Shell gasoline, I don't push the engine hard when the oil is cold etc)
These cars are generally purchased by "enthusiasts" that will dismantle them, play with the engine management system, use all types of (unapproved) oils, trash them on the road and on track etc. When the things go wrong they will try to have their cars fixed but this is easier said than done... the typical BMW Service is low tech, dirty and BMW techs populating these places are in their vast majority incompetents that will inflict more damage to the vehicle. Then someone like you comes into picture...

Last edited by RMG; 12-03-2012 at 06:27 PM.
RMG is offline   United_States
      12-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
I will, on the other hand, say these problems are quite normal for some owners. It is unfortunate that you have one of these problematic cars. I for one have not encountered a lot of issue with any BMWs I've owned, but then again the last one I kept for more than 2 yrs was my 2002 325ci. I hope to keep my 335i for at least 4 more yrs. GL

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      12-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
GetSomeE92
Major

Drives: '09 Space Gray E92

I wouldn't worry about it since you're covered by the warranty. Just have the dealer fix what is wrong and you'll be good.
GetSomeE92 is offline   United_States
      12-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
krazyking
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Yeah I can relate to you. I've had several problems recently. About 3 weeks ago I got the car towed because it wouldn't open and even died on me while I was driving in the city once. Dealer ended up replacing a fuse box with new battery wiring, fixed leak in oil housing gasket and replaced an injector. I got the car back last week. And over this weekend while driving I suddenly got a SES light. Back to the dealer it goes. FML...
      12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Xtrs87x
Enlisted Member

Drives: 05 z4

I think it's just you buddy... I also have a 335 07 and ive only had one problem with it... the transmission leaking which i did myself... Other than that it now has 50000 miles and never have replaced anything on it.... no hpfp, no oil leaking, no turbo rattle. I only do the maintenance on it...
Some people just end up with 335 that are a time bomb waiting to happen but i would say thats less than 3% of all 335 out there... I would try to get the dealership to buy it back.
      12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
cmyk
resident girl.

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.38]
For those saying "Lemon", no, your car isn't (necessarily) a lemon. You just got unlucky and bought a car that either hadn't been properly maintained or happens to have more mechanical issues than others. Even if it fit the legal definition of a "lemon," you are not the original owner so I don't believe it would apply to you anyway.

These cars are not without their quirks, and I've had a few of these items replaced myself. So far you're lucky that all of this is being covered under warranty. A vast majority of these cars are rock solid. You typically hear more horror stories on forums like these, as people are more inclined to post when things go wrong than when everything is running smoothly. Stay diligent with your maintenance and fix issues as soon as they arise and you'll be able to enjoy your car for quite a while. Looks like you've got most of the big ticket items out of the way for now

2008 E90 335i // Black Everything // photos
COBB tuned / QTP e-cutouts / Helix FMIC / cp-e DCI / AWE BOVs / Black M6 wheels + Toyo Proxes
(and yes, I am a girl)
cmyk is offline   United_States
      12-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Like some one else said- Luck of the draw. Mine's running strong at 60000 miles. 0 Problems so far. My friend's 335i kept breaking down until he sold it at 40,000 miles.

But hey, look on the bright side- soon you won't have anything to fix. Most everything that goes bad on the 335 already happened to you.
      12-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BLACK e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
Water pump.
That's why his car is currently @ the dealership.
      12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
QBall28

Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

I might try a different dealer/service advisor, with the age of the car and i'm guessing mileage. The SA should of known to replace the water pump (known issue) the same time they changed the thermostat, it's essentially the same work order.

So now your SA has billed warranty twice for the same amount of work = hitting sales target! And wasting your time... But i'm just speculating.
QBall28 is offline   Canada
      12-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #13
philiphilip

Thanks guys for the humor in your replies. And I agree they should've replaced the water pump last week. He may have billed warranty twice but they can think again if they think about billing me the $50 deductable again...
      12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
Dozhdbog
Major

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

It's quite possible the car was heavily modded prior to you purchasing it. Plenty of people will mod their cars, then part out the mods and remove the tune prior to selling it or trading it in. All those issues could easily be the result of an aggressive tune.
      12-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
cultr3
Private

Drives: E92 335

Well, when buying a cheaper second-hand car, shouldn't expect a trouble-free experience, it's nice if it happens, but it shouldn't be expected, likely the previous owner ran it hard and didn't take care of the car, but it's his call as he paid for the depreciation hit. The dealer is fixing it for you so it's not like there's no hope.
      12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Rough, bad luck my friend. At the same time, who knows what the previous owner did to the car..

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow-Form | LIVE INVENTORY: V705 V703 V710 | V710 PICTURE THREAD
p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels f. flickr.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
      12-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #17
philiphilip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultr3 View Post
Well, when buying a cheaper second-hand car, shouldn't expect a trouble-free experience, it's nice if it happens, but it shouldn't be expected, likely the previous owner ran it hard and didn't take care of the car, but it's his call as he paid for the depreciation hit. The dealer is fixing it for you so it's not like there's no hope.
I understand the risk of buying a second hand car. But when it's CPO I do expect a certain level of quality. That's why I chose to pay the CPO price.

But, like you guys mentioned, the bright side is that it's under warranty.
      12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
Markyd83
Captain

Drives: 335i coupe

My 07 has had zero problems. Been a great car.
      12-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:

Ive had HPFP, injectors twice (3 at a time), radio replacement, Int lights have a mind of their own, steering hose, steering rack and pump and now my front suspension is creaking. Chugs a bit under hard acceleration on highway. Can't rely on this thing. Almost every day something weird happens with locks or lights .
335BBS is offline   Canada