E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New bike..now 335 is slow



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #111
SkyWalker_J
Private
 
Drives: E92 Jet Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cali

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

I know what you mean man. I go through that every so often myself. After summer I always go through this phase where I feel confined when I'm on the road, not being able to split cars, and cut to the front of the line at redlights


08 R6

07 E92

01 WS6

SkyWalker_J is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #112
BrazilianBimmer
Captain
 
Drives: Black e90 325i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 776
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker_J View Post
I know what you mean man. I go through that every so often myself. After summer I always go through this phase where I feel confined when I'm on the road, not being able to split cars, and cut to the front of the line at redlights


08 R6

07 E92

01 WS6

Nice collection of machines.
Oh, how much I hate it when I see cyclists doing this shit. If anyone ever do that around me (split and cut) they're asking for trouble. I will not hesitate to do a quick lane switch.
BrazilianBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #113
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
 
2wheelsrbetter's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 07 e90 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bucks County PA

Posts: 442
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
It is not what you ride. My 1981 cb125s is one of the funnest street bikes i have ever ridden. It's funny to see how the big boys on their "big" 600's chuckle at me.
They dont chuckle when they get dropped in the mountains when i am on my vfr with saddlebags. The guys on 600's in front of me don't chuckle at my 125.
agreed. but bigger/more power is better - so people think. and most may get the rush they're looking for by trying to hold one or maybe two gears open, probably while holding their breath, and possibly with their eyes shut. and that's fine.

the problem i've seen with bikes is, when you get one, everyone asks - what did you get? and then they judge your answer against other bikes out there. they probably don't mean to do this, but they do. knee jerk. because bikes are cool, and they get people excited. they don't get groceries. they go fast. but no matter what you have, there is almost always a faster better bike out there. (except for the guys buying the zx14. even then, a turbo modded whatever one ups them.)

my $0.02 on what makes a great bike to own? whatever makes you happy. if big displacement and dual underseat pipes make you smile, and you smile when people ask you what you got, then that's the bike for you. can a liter bike kill you? sure, but so could a 125. do you need to use the full potential of your bike? nope. it's silly to think most people could, with the level of bike being produced today. just depends on how fast fast enough is for you. and how sexy you want your bike to be.

dropping fairing-clad 600s on my 73 cb350 makes me smile, mostly from the looks of disbelief when i wait for them to catch up. and damn that bike has style.
favorite all time bike = XT600

congrats on your purchase OP, enjoy it for what it is. go at your pace. and big congrats for having a wife that rides - that's a beautiful thing.
__________________
mods: missing exhaust, fmic, condensor, radiator, oil cooler, ps cooler, trans heat exchanger, turbo charge pipe
2wheelsrbetter is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #114
Reznick
First Lieutenant
 
Reznick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Omg.... Im so glad you are alive!
Thank you. If you're gonna be on a bike just remember the old saying ..there are 2 types of riders,those who have fallen and those who are about to. I don't mean to say this to scare anyone. Enjoy the ride. There is nothing like it , but always be prepared for what might be around the next corner or at the next stop light.......or the idiot carrying something in the back of his truck
Reznick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #115
Sara504
Lieutenant General
 
Sara504's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

Posts: 17,671
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
Thank you. If you're gonna be on a bike just remember the old saying ..there are 2 types of riders,those who have fallen and those who are about to. I don't mean to say this to scare anyone. Enjoy the ride. There is nothing like it , but always be prepared for what might be around the next corner or at the next stop light.......or the idiot carrying something in the back of his truck
trust me.. even in 90 degree heat I am always padded and geared up as if this would be a ride that I would hit the ground on
__________________

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #116
g335
Private
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: pa

Posts: 67
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
Yeah, that bike's a monster. My wife is 5'2 115 and the 250 is perfect for her.
Does she ever wish it had more power?? I was thinking of starting out on a CBR 600 and lowering it (since Im so short) .. On the GSXR my feet barely touch.. I usually have to lean the bike with one foot flat down and the other one still in the air because I cant straddle it comfortably. Its too high...Well unless I road in high heels but I dont feel like losing a toe lol
Sara the 06+ gixxers seat is lower than any year cbr...
g335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #117
Bamaben
Lieutenant
 
Bamaben's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsrbetter

agreed. but bigger/more power is better - so people think. and most may get the rush they're looking for by trying to hold one or maybe two gears open, probably while holding their breath, and possibly with their eyes shut. and that's fine.

the problem i've seen with bikes is, when you get one, everyone asks - what did you get? and then they judge your answer against other bikes out there. they probably don't mean to do this, but they do. knee jerk. because bikes are cool, and they get people excited. they don't get groceries. they go fast. but no matter what you have, there is almost always a faster better bike out there. (except for the guys buying the zx14. even then, a turbo modded whatever one ups them.)

my $0.02 on what makes a great bike to own? whatever makes you happy. if big displacement and dual underseat pipes make you smile, and you smile when people ask you what you got, then that's the bike for you. can a liter bike kill you? sure, but so could a 125. do you need to use the full potential of your bike? nope. it's silly to think most people could, with the level of bike being produced today. just depends on how fast fast enough is for you. and how sexy you want your bike to be.

dropping fairing-clad 600s on my 73 cb350 makes me smile, mostly from the looks of disbelief when i wait for them to catch up. and damn that bike has style.
favorite all time bike = XT600

congrats on your purchase OP, enjoy it for what it is. go at your pace. and big congrats for having a wife that rides - that's a beautiful thing.
Thanks. I'm enjoying my bike. I really wanted a naked bike but several friends talked me into a bike with fairings because it would cut the wind on the highway better. When I came across this one for such a great deal I couldn't turn it down. Wife knew she always wanted a ninja. She is taking her time getting comfortable on the bike before she hits traffic.
I just did the break in oil change and chain lube this weekend. Was easier than on a car. None of my friends change their own oil for some reason.
__________________


It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Bamaben is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #118
Bamaben
Lieutenant
 
Bamaben's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g335

Does she ever wish it had more power?? I was thinking of starting out on a CBR 600 and lowering it (since Im so short) .. On the GSXR my feet barely touch.. I usually have to lean the bike with one foot flat down and the other one still in the air because I cant straddle it comfortably. Its too high...Well unless I road in high heels but I dont feel like losing a toe lol
No, she isn't into speed. So the 250 will be all she will want. We looked into lowering but the cost and trade off isn't worth it. She can touch but not flat footed.
__________________


It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Bamaben is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #119
SkyWalker_J
Private
 
Drives: E92 Jet Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cali

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Nice collection of machines.
Oh, how much I hate it when I see cyclists doing this shit. If anyone ever do that around me (split and cut) they're asking for trouble. I will not hesitate to do a quick lane switch.
Thank you sir

Myself I'm not really into the whole road rage thing. I can understand why you would do that, but what you're doing really isn't any better than the people splitting lanes.

At the end of the day we're just trying to get where we're going. Some safer than others of course lol.
SkyWalker_J is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #120
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
 
chaz_master's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Welcome to the club. I have a built E30 that used to be my toy but then got the MV Agusta. Since then I think I have put 40 miles on the E30, I will probably sell it come spring. Cars are safer but nothing I can afford can come close to the thrill/terror this baby provides:



Edit: its also one of the reasons IDGAF about driving a wagon, shits useful as hell and any car BMW makes is pedestrian compared to that bitch.
Always loved the look of the Agusta's, sexy bike indeed.

R1 has always been a favourite for me, along with some Ducatis.
chaz_master is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #121
nycbr
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: nu yawk

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianBimmer View Post
Nice collection of machines.
Oh, how much I hate it when I see cyclists doing this shit. If anyone ever do that around me (split and cut) they're asking for trouble. I will not hesitate to do a quick lane switch.
not to thread jack but why would you do that? You have no idea how hot it gets sitting in traffic, in gear, on a bike spitting out even more heat. I see nothing wrong with splitting lanes and filtering to the front at a red light. I do agree that splitting lanes at highway speeds is stupid, but still not a good enough reason to kill someone.
nycbr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #122
Bamaben
Lieutenant
 
Bamaben's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 578
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbr

not to thread jack but why would you do that? You have no idea how hot it gets sitting in traffic, in gear, on a bike spitting out even more heat. I see nothing wrong with splitting lanes and filtering to the front at a red light. I do agree that splitting lanes at highway speeds is stupid, but still not a good enough reason to kill someone.
This is why I wouldn't split lanes

[u2b]http://youtu.be/sQqScEUnHyQ[/u2b]
__________________


It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Bamaben is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #123
Grendeltouring
Private
 
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Mine's an '11 F800R, when I got it I had a 335 xDrive (auto) and I remember the car feeling slow after riding the bike around all day.


Last edited by Grendeltouring; 12-03-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Grendeltouring is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #124
galahad05
Colonel
 
galahad05's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island NY

Posts: 2,377
iTrader: (0)

Splitting lanes in NY is illegal.
California, legal (below a certain speed).
__________________
Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine
--Lord Byron
galahad05 is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #125
SkyWalker_J
Private
 
Drives: E92 Jet Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cali

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
This is why I wouldn't split lanes

[u2b]http://youtu.be/sQqScEUnHyQ[/u2b]
In Cali we're allowed to split lanes to get to the front of a red or in times of completely backed up traffic.


As someone mentioned earlier a summer day in the valley sitting ontop of a Sportsbike with a temp climbing 215 is no fun.
SkyWalker_J is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #126
avocet
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver bc

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Cali is the land of enlightened for motorcycles. Lane splitting is safer because you dont have dipshits behind you texting/calling/eating/reading/jerking/sleeping trying to ram you.

Pulling out on a bike that is passing is attempted homocide. Ever seen a person get hit by a car? Not pretty.
Guy on vancouver island did just that a few yrs ago... Pulled out on a motorcyclist. Charged and convicted of vehicular homocide. Killed someone. Who the f#ck does that???

Do you swerve at jaywalkers? Run speeders off the road? Cut off elderly drivers barely going the limit? Cut extra close to cyclists?

Dont be jealous. A bike going past is a bike not in traffic. You know what that means, dont you? Less traffic for the rest of you.
avocet is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #127
Grendeltouring
Private
 
Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Cali is the land of enlightened for motorcycles. Lane splitting is safer because you dont have dipshits behind you texting/calling/eating/reading/jerking/sleeping trying to ram you.

Pulling out on a bike that is passing is attempted homocide. Ever seen a person get hit by a car? Not pretty.
Guy on vancouver island did just that a few yrs ago... Pulled out on a motorcyclist. Charged and convicted of vehicular homocide. Killed someone. Who the f#ck does that???

Do you swerve at jaywalkers? Run speeders off the road? Cut off elderly drivers barely going the limit? Cut extra close to cyclists?

Dont be jealous. A bike going past is a bike not in traffic. You know what that means, dont you? Less traffic for the rest of you.
Grendeltouring is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #128
bplewis24
First Lieutenant
 
bplewis24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 305
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
I was coming back from a car cruze. It was just getting dark. I was with a pack of friends. ...

<snip>
Been lurking here for a few months while I research my purchase (sometime early next year). But I had to reply just to say that is one of the most amazing stories I've read. And well worth the time.

Cheers,
bplewis24 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #129
srSheepdog
Private First Class
 
Drives: 07 335i - Montego Blue
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cary, NC

Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
Cali is the land of enlightened for motorcycles. Lane splitting is safer because you dont have dipshits behind you texting/calling/eating/reading/jerking/sleeping trying to ram you.

Pulling out on a bike that is passing is attempted homocide. Ever seen a person get hit by a car? Not pretty.
Guy on vancouver island did just that a few yrs ago... Pulled out on a motorcyclist. Charged and convicted of vehicular homocide. Killed someone. Who the f#ck does that???

Do you swerve at jaywalkers? Run speeders off the road? Cut off elderly drivers barely going the limit? Cut extra close to cyclists?

Dont be jealous. A bike going past is a bike not in traffic. You know what that means, dont you? Less traffic for the rest of you.
srSheepdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #130
Reznick
First Lieutenant
 
Reznick's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

Posts: 383
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Been lurking here for a few months while I research my purchase (sometime early next year). But I had to reply just to say that is one of the most amazing stories I've read. And well worth the time.

Cheers,
Thanks for the read. I was afraid people were gonna roll their eyes when they saw how long the post was, but someone asked sooo. The crazy thing is there was a lot more to it after the ambulance got to me.There was a life copter en route to get me. When the paramedics asked if I thought they could get me on the ambulance ,,I just stood up.They freaked.But I didn't realize I even hurt my neck not to mention broke it. My helmet barely had a scratch on it. They figure it was from the bike hitting me.Since the accident thing have progressively gotten worse. Its a matter of all the scar tissue around that nerve, not the broken neck,,go figure.( The occipital nerve that was damaged goes to your ear and your eye. The surgery to get the scar tissue removed is sensitive. If there is any damage done to the nerve during surgery I could end up with permanent vertigo & still be in pain.Believe it or not I have been back on a bike. I still think about riding all the time. But as someone stated before even with health insurance the amount of money paid out has been astronomical & I'm always in pain. Its just a matter of how much. I take the highest dosage of pain killer allowed by law and on most days it doesn't help.I have to curl up in a ball and sweat it out.I have an awesome team of doctors and they've gone above and beyond for me. I'm not trying to scare anyone out of riding.In fact I wish more people would, because they'd have more respect for people on 2 wheels. This is just my story......& you know that saying that you figure out who your real friends are when you're down??? I found that one out very fast

Last edited by Reznick; 12-04-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added
Reznick is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #131
bplewis24
First Lieutenant
 
bplewis24's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 305
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
This is just my story......& you know that saying that you figure out who your real friends are when you're down??? I found that one out very fast
I can only imagine! But sometimes it's better to figure that out than to never truly know.
__________________
Brandon
bplewis24 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #132
ryan stewart
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 328it
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

Even if lane splitting were legal in GA I am still not a fan. If it were truely stopped traffic then I could go with the shoulder but the idea of going between cars that might be trying to make a lane change the moment they see 4 feet of space bothers me.

On top of that, when I was in Cali, everyone abused it. Bikes were lane splitting in moving traffic on a regular basis.
ryan stewart is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST