E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Unusual shudder. i dont know what else to replace.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Unusual shudder. i dont know what else to replace.

Okay...finally got my car done it runs great i guess. things i replaced are

all new

-Turbos, all hardware and lines.
-6 injectors
-6 plugs
-6coils
-CPS sensor
-new Vanos selionids
-Clean intake valves
- RB PCV upgrade
-Valve cover gasket
-T-stat
-Water pump
- Transmission flush and New sealing sleeve and filter pan.
-Diff flush
- Oil filter housing Gasket, and oil cooler gasket and gaskets for the lines going to the cooler.
- new transmission cooler
-new oil duh
- new coolant duh

Don't ask me how much i spent.. lol

and all that cleared up the smoke coming from my exhaust. So if your smoking do the above

cant remember what else. but all that is changed, and new. now the car starts fine. and when i drive it it drives great but i have a little bit of a shudder i dunno if its knock but you cant hear it but i can feel it i guess in the brake when I'm sitting at a light.
LOL maybe a new belt? i visually inspected the belt when the car was stripped while installing the turbos the belt looked fine, can think of any other wear and tear that could cause this. help

Last edited by sammy_0559; 12-04-2012 at 12:50 PM.
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
danniexi
Colonel
 
danniexi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW E92 335xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,029
iTrader: (14)

HPFP? Get any codes?

That's pretty much the only thing you DIDN'T replace with the car.
danniexi is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
HPFP? Get any codes?

That's pretty much the only thing you DIDN'T replace with the car.
No codes at all!! LOL and i got the HPFP replaced 15k miles ago
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Wedge1967
Colonel
 
Wedge1967's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 2,173
iTrader: (3)

The n54 is notorious for a slight shudder at idle almost as if it's missing. I took my car to the dealer about this issue when I first bought my car because I thought something was wrong, but now I just live with it. Plug change did help a bit, now it's not as drastic as it was in the past. Apparently it will never be the smooth running engine at idle as we would all like it to be.
Wedge1967 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,311
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Normally I would say leaky injectors, but in most respects, the N54 and poor idle is the same as water is wet. I bought my car new with 1.3 miles on it, and the idle was crap then too.

However, new injectors doesn't mean the were coded correctly, or they sat correctly. Usually a leaky injector shows signs of fouling plugs in those cylinders.

Check your plugs, if they are all the same color, your injectors are probably fine, so you can rule them out again.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Normally I would say leaky injectors, but in most respects, the N54 and poor idle is the same as water is wet. I bought my car new with 1.3 miles on it, and the idle was crap then too.

However, new injectors doesn't mean the were coded correctly, or they sat correctly. Usually a leaky injector shows signs of fouling plugs in those cylinders.

Check your plugs, if they are all the same color, your injectors are probably fine, so you can rule them out again.
I did all the work, i double checked the values on the injectors and i will check again today. but I'm 99.9% sure they are coded and installed right everything is torqed to spec, and the plugs are new lol the car is literally 1 day old of a 3 month coma.. i was expecting a new car that just rolled out of the dealer haha i should have took the block off and got it bored. and ported the head.. LOL to rule out everything.
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
JamesM3M5
Some dude
 
Drives: E28 M5, E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,645
iTrader: (0)

Drive it hard. There may be carbon buildup inside one or more of the combustion chambers causing a poor idle. It can happen easily if you have excessive oil dumping into the intake ports (usually 5 is the worst) from the PCV system and/or a bad injector.
__________________
RRT Racing
E92 335i/6MT Dinan Stage 3: intercooler, oil cooler, intake, flash, exhaust, LW dual-mass flywheel.
Vishnu PWM methanol custom trunk mount, Diffsonline 3-clutch Salisbury custom diff, Ohlins Road and Track coilovers, Vorshlag camber plates, much more...
E28 M5 w/ buncha stuff, R171 SLK350
JamesM3M5 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5
Drive it hard. There may be carbon buildup inside one or more of the combustion chambers causing a poor idle. It can happen easily if you have excessive oil dumping into the intake ports (usually 5 is the worst) from the PCV system and/or a bad injector.
Injectors are new, pcv is upgraded lol
And I'm babying the turbos cuz new for about 100-150 miles
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,311
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post
I did all the work, i double checked the values on the injectors and i will check again today. but I'm 99.9% sure they are coded and installed right everything is torqed to spec, and the plugs are new lol the car is literally 1 day old of a 3 month coma.. i was expecting a new car that just rolled out of the dealer haha i should have took the block off and got it bored. and ported the head.. LOL to rule out everything.
Could be a tiny vac leak? That is really the only other thing if everything is that new and perfectly installed. But like I said, this car had a poor idle always, some worse then others.

My last car had that shutter you speak of, but it was because I had over sized injectors from the blower and nitrous i was running. A little tuning fixed that though. It's usually fuel related when you get that random shudder.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Could be a tiny vac leak? That is really the only other thing if everything is that new and perfectly installed. But like I said, this car had a poor idle always, some worse then others.

My last car had that shutter you speak of, but it was because I had over sized injectors from the blower and nitrous i was running. A little tuning fixed that though. It's usually fuel related when you get that random shudder.
forgot to Mention all the vacuum line were changed from the waste gate actuators all the way to the brake booster haha

but your right it might be tune related. time to hit up terry!
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
marv85
Colonel
 
marv85's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 335i MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland

Posts: 2,558
iTrader: (4)

I thought you were waiting on stage2??
__________________
'10 E92 335i , COBB
marv85 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
 
sammy_0559's Avatar
 
Drives: e93 2008 Montego Metallic 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FortWorth, Texas

Posts: 1,937
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [1.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marv85 View Post
I thought you were waiting on stage2??
Canceled, could not wait if it was going to be mid november i would've but mid december that would mark 4 months without my car .
sammy_0559 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST