E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Phonebook shortcoming

01-06-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
bmmunich
Rep

Drives: E91, Black

Phonebook shortcoming

I've coupled my Nokia 6680 with my E91 and everything works fine except that the telephone book didn't get synchronised.

So now I'd like to add entries to the car's telephone book manually - except that I can't. I've read through all the manuals and the only way to add manual entries seems to be via the voice recognition system. Am I missing something here? If not, this seems to be a serious shortcoming.
      01-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
bmmunich
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmunich
Am I missing something here? If not, this seems to be a serious shortcoming.
I just tried pairing an old Nokia 6310i which then uploaded its phonebook. While playing around, I realised that the phonebook gets loaded every time that you connect, not just the first time.

With the phonebook being dynamic, I can understand why you can't make manual entries but it would still be nice if there was a separate non-dynamic phone book where you could manually add names and phone numbers.
      01-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.50]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
hmm...you asked, you answered

i really don't see a point of having two separate phone books. why would you want to have some numbers in your car, but not on your phone? well, let's say you do have a reason. then, how confusing would that be and i can't even imagine what the interface in iDrive would look like with that.

one feature i miss is some kind of icons or color coding for different numbers that belong to the same person (mobile1, mobile2, home, work, etc.) since now it only lists the same names in order without any differentiation. i have the razr, maybe different phones are treated differently.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
bmmunich
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
hmm...you asked, you answered

i really don't see a point of having two separate phone books. why would you want to have some numbers in your car, but not on your phone? well, let's say you do have a reason. then, how confusing would that be and i can't even imagine what the interface in iDrive would look like with that.

one feature i miss is some kind of icons or color coding for different numbers that belong to the same person (mobile1, mobile2, home, work, etc.) since now it only lists the same names in order without any differentiation. i have the razr, maybe different phones are treated differently.
Well, if you're lucky enough that your mobile phone synchronises its phonebook, then you certainly wouldn't need an extra one. But if your phonebook doesn't synchronise then you've no way of adding numbers to the iDrive system.

I agree that the interface might be complicated but I would have thought that it's not beyond the bounds of possibility to merge two lists. The phonebook on my mobile displays the numbers from the SIM card together with the internal memory in a single list.

As for displaying multiple numbers for a single contact - think yourself lucky that you even see all the numbers for a contact. With Nokia 6310i it only showed me the first number for any given contact.
      01-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
syntax_check!
Rep

Drives: E90 330d

I've noticed that synchronization does not always work because the address book for instance is held on the SIM card and not in the phone or visa-versa. Try copying the book to the other possible storage location in your phone and try again.