E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Anyone with scan tool to clear codes? (bay area help)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Anyone with scan tool to clear codes? (bay area help)

Recently went for smog and failed due to a SES light. Does anyone have a tool or ideas to pass smog? Thanks!
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
Recently went for smog and failed due to a SES light. Does anyone have a tool or ideas to pass smog? Thanks!
Hoping you have an adroid phone or tablet. See below. I cleared my SES light using this adaptor and and android app called TORQUE. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Elm327-...item2a210c243e
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Unfortunately I have an iPhone. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Go to your local auto parts store ex Auto zone and ask them to read your codes since you have your SES light on. I ve heard that they do this for free. Once you are there ask them to clear them for you. Maybe offer the guy lunch or something... Good luck!
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Go to your local auto parts store ex Auto zone and ask them to read your codes since you have your SES light on. I ve heard that they do this for free. Once you are there ask them to clear them for you. Maybe offer the guy lunch or something... Good luck!
Yeah, I called in to a few and checked. Apparently they haven't done it in the past few years at all autozones in ca due to liability issues. Something about a guy using the tool and burning his car down in the process outside an autozone. =/

AHH! I need to pass smog asap.
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
where are you located?
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
TitanLH8
First Lieutenant
 
TitanLH8's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 349
iTrader: (3)

I have a scan tool, where are you?
TitanLH8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
Yeah, I called in to a few and checked. Apparently they haven't done it in the past few years at all autozones in ca due to liability issues. Something about a guy using the tool and burning his car down in the process outside an autozone. =/

AHH! I need to pass smog asap.
Wow ok. weird. Try pep boys. I went there the first time and they did it for me. Dont go upfront, just go in the back and talk directly to the mechanics. They guy read the codes for me but did not clear them. Thats when I bought the BT tool adaptor and did it myself.

I m in SD where are you located? There is also another member here willing to help. He also wants to know where you are located. Good luck!
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLH8 View Post
I have a scan tool, where are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Wow ok. weird. Try pep boys. I went there the first time and they did it for me. Dont go upfront, just go in the back and talk directly to the mechanics. They guy read the codes for me but did not clear them. Thats when I bought the BT tool adaptor and did it myself.

I m in SD where are you located? There is also another member here willing to help. He also wants to know where you are located. Good luck!
Hey guys, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in the sf bay area.
Romeo, do you know if the adaptor would clear all types of codes or "less serious" ones?

Anyone in the bay area with a scan tool? Thanks!
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in the sf bay area.
Romeo, do you know if the adaptor would clear all types of codes or "less serious" ones?

Anyone in the bay area with a scan tool? Thanks!
Not sure if it clears all types, but it cleared the code I had which is P0128 for bad thermosthat. I am amost positive it will since its related to emissions. The adaptor is only about 15 dlls. I bought it from a US seller. You should give this a try.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Ch3ss
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: CA

Posts: 278
iTrader: (4)

Pepboys reads codes for free just got this done a couple weeks ago.
Ch3ss is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
BRGmatthew
Bausman
 
BRGmatthew's Avatar
 
Drives: around the block
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal 626/NorCal 650

Posts: 1,698
iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to BRGmatthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I'm in the sf bay area.
Romeo, do you know if the adaptor would clear all types of codes or "less serious" ones?

Anyone in the bay area with a scan tool? Thanks!
where in the bay area? Im in mountain view, you can come try my scan tool. I had a CEL light for a k&n intake. Mine cleared it. So we can try yours?
BRGmatthew is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Not sure if it clears all types, but it cleared the code I had which is P0128 for bad thermosthat. I am amost positive it will since its related to emissions. The adaptor is only about 15 dlls. I bought it from a US seller. You should give this a try.
I took a look at the link you sent, it says 96-05 bmw. Did you get that exact model and it still works for our e90s?

I've heard quite a bit of good things about torque for android, there anything similar for iphones?
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
where in the bay area? Im in mountain view, you can come try my scan tool. I had a CEL light for a k&n intake. Mine cleared it. So we can try yours?
Hopefully =/. PM sent. How does your schedule look ?
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
sjthegreat1
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: bay area

Posts: 31
iTrader: (2)

Hey bro im in east bay fairfield area! I can help u out if ya want just hit me up!
sjthegreat1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
GoRomeo
Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Je90win View Post
I took a look at the link you sent, it says 96-05 bmw. Did you get that exact model and it still works for our e90s?

I've heard quite a bit of good things about torque for android, there anything similar for iphones?
The link I sent was only to show you the picture of it. Trying serching for it. Yes, the one I bought said e90's and worked fine. I was trying to send you the link from the one I bought but I erased it a while back. I dont have an iphone but Im sure there is...
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
Je90win
Private
 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjthegreat1 View Post
Hey bro im in east bay fairfield area! I can help u out if ya want just hit me up!
Thanks for the offer, I'm going to try to meet up with a forum member a bit more local.

Fairfield... Do you head up to Tahoe often?
Je90win is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST