E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > $1300 to replace valve cover gasket



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
e90_guy
Private First Class
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, BC

iTrader: (1)

$1300 to replace valve cover gasket

Brought my car into the dealership to fix a door lock problem and the tech found out I had a oil leak. They replaced the valve cover gasket and the total was $1100 + tax (I'm out of original warranty). Fortunately I bought an extended warranty from coverageone few months ago and I only needed to pay the $200 deductable. I looked at the invoice and it took 6 hrs to replace a $100 gasket/bolts. So ask you tech to check for oil leak if you are near the end of your oem warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
KCX_335xi
Major
KCX_335xi's Avatar
14
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335xi e92 | 2013 e70 X5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oakville, ON

iTrader: (11)

which part number is this ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
GOTMH8N
Stay Classy
GOTMH8N's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,022
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: c

iTrader: (2)

LOL @ $100 for parts
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
26
Rep
2,367
Posts

 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Yikes!!

There should be a recall on this!!! I ve seen newer model cars already with defective valve cover gaskets due to a bad torque on the screws. We should demand BMWUSA to look into this and cover labor at least. What you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
dassub
Captain
dassub's Avatar
Canada
12
Rep
759
Posts

 
Drives: '06 325i 6MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
You're also paying for the bolt set when that job is done.
I juuuust had my eccentric shaft sensor done out of warranty ($1500 later), and it included the valve cover bolt set as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
Bavfan
Private
1
Rep
78
Posts

 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC, Canada

iTrader: (1)

I've got a 07 E90 328i and I had to get mine done twice in about 3 months. I've also got Coverage One so it just cost me the deductible the first time and the 2nd time was under the dealer's warranty on the parts install. They figured the first gasket had a nick in it they missed or something. $1100 is really pricey, mine was $80 parts and $616 in labour. Total was around $800 incl taxes.

I'm surprised the valve cover gasket is still an issue in the E90. It was a problem with my E30 and 17 yrs later, it's still an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
e90_guy
Private First Class
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTMH8N View Post
LOL @ $100 for parts
gasket + torx screw + decoupling element + gasket ring came out to $150 before tax. The rest was labor cost. Mine is a N54 335i so 323 or 328 may be a bit cheaper. It's suck to cost so much to replace such an inexpensive parts. I was told the gasket leak is a very common problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
eNineZero
Private First Class
Canada
20
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavfan View Post
I've got a 07 E90 328i and I had to get mine done twice in about 3 months. I've also got Coverage One so it just cost me the deductible the first time and the 2nd time was under the dealer's warranty on the parts install. They figured the first gasket had a nick in it they missed or something. $1100 is really pricey, mine was $80 parts and $616 in labour. Total was around $800 incl taxes.

I'm surprised the valve cover gasket is still an issue in the E90. It was a problem with my E30 and 17 yrs later, it's still an issue.
They are a problem on every car. Usually they need to be done at 100,000 - 150,000 kms regardless of the manufacturer. If they aren't leaking, they are definitely sweating.

$1,100 sounds really high. I did the VC gasket on my E90 when i was doing the plugs, it's not a 6 hour job, more like 2-3 hours taking your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
e9012345
Lieutenant
5
Rep
402
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North York

iTrader: (0)

fixed mine for 200 bucks including all parts... got it done at a shop too. I do have an N52 which is a little different but not really. You're getting raped.
__________________
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
e90_guy
Private First Class
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
fixed mine for 200 bucks including all parts... got it done at a shop too. I do have an N52 which is a little different but not really. You're getting raped.
It was covered by my extended warranty so I rather have it done in the dealership. The parts alone came out to $150. Assuming you can get everything half price it is still $75. So your shop was doing it at a loss.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
e9012345
Lieutenant
5
Rep
402
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90_guy View Post
It was covered by my extended warranty so I rather have it done in the dealership. The parts alone came out to $150. Assuming you can get everything half price it is still $75. So your shop was doing it at a loss.
Uhm..

Parts:

Valve cover gasket: 35$ http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328i-N52_3.0L/ES18659/

Valve cover bolts: $30 http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/bmw-...set-p-635.html

Do some research before posting such garbage. My shop is a very reputable shop that most people in the GTA go to for all their servicing needs. You clearly don't know much about cars so keep taking your car to the dealership and stop posting on here.
__________________
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
e90_guy
Private First Class
2
Rep
158
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Richmond, BC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
Uhm..

Parts:

Valve cover gasket: 35$ http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328i-N52_3.0L/ES18659/

Valve cover bolts: $30 http://www.4wheelsautoparts.com/bmw-...set-p-635.html

Do some research before posting such garbage. My shop is a very reputable shop that most people in the GTA go to for all their servicing needs. You clearly don't know much about cars so keep taking your car to the dealership and stop posting on here.
First my car is N54. So I have no idea how much N52 is but I assume it is the same. Second you also need to replace the 6 decoupling elements which cost more then gasket+bolts. If you're happy with their service, it's fine with me. I simply don't want to cheap out on repair cost because I pay the same regardless. Anyway you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Jonsiu
Captain
Jonsiu's Avatar
16
Rep
675
Posts

 
Drives: E92 328i, F30 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

iTrader: (1)

My E92 328i had the same issue, got the valve cover gasket replaced 3 times while under warranty. I started to smell something burning again in the engine bay recently, and luckily I spotted a good deal for a F30 and traded it in with the problem! LoL
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #14
silvermist99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6MT & X5D 6AT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Unionville, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 BMW 323I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
I changed my plugs today and noticed oil on cylinder 2 and 3. Any good shop can do it within the Gta? The process looks bit complicated not sure if I want to tackle it myself.

Is this also same process as valve cleaning? Maybe I can get both done at the same time
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
PA66400
Private First Class
Canada
2
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9012345 View Post
fixed mine for 200 bucks including all parts... got it done at a shop too. I do have an N52 which is a little different but not really. You're getting raped.
He is not getting raped. He has a N54 and it is much more work. At least 6 hours in most flat rate shops. There is a DYI on this site and it is much more complicated work, compared to N52 motors. Calgary BMW quotes the same amount ($1300) and local independent shops here quoted only about 100-200 less. Canadian BMW dealers warrant their work for 2 years; the independents do not.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
SLON
New Member
SLON's Avatar
1
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: E92 LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermist99 View Post
I changed my plugs today and noticed oil on cylinder 2 and 3. Any good shop can do it within the Gta? The process looks bit complicated not sure if I want to tackle it myself.

Is this also same process as valve cleaning? Maybe I can get both done at the same time
Same thing. Car is feeling sluggish. checked the spark plugs, sure enough saw oil on two of the spark plugs. I think i'm just going to tackle the job myself.


Any place to buy all the stuff for the job other then the dealer, they love to over charge. I was buying my oil filter for 13$ and now they started charging 20$. ((
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
badass335's Avatar
Canada
33
Rep
1,815
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Surrey, BC

iTrader: (10)

its sad but I just got the quote as well. I assume you went to Autowest BMW. I got the $1300 quote as well, plus the $950 oil filter housing gasket. with taxes and a carbon clean, I got quoted $2800.

On the plus side, the work is guaranteed for 2 years and they are really good to me so I end up going there. Went to an independent shop to get turbos done and they didn't pre-adjust the wastegates so my new wastegates rattle! In their defense, they thought the turbo's and wastegates came pre-adjusted.... right........
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #18
vanondemand
Banned
vanondemand's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
662
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i M/T
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
How much did the extended warranty from Coverageone cost you?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #19
silvermist99
Second Lieutenant
Canada
2
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6MT & X5D 6AT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Unionville, Canada

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 BMW 323I  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass335 View Post
its sad but I just got the quote as well. I assume you went to Autowest BMW. I got the $1300 quote as well, plus the $950 oil filter housing gasket. with taxes and a carbon clean, I got quoted $2800.

On the plus side, the work is guaranteed for 2 years and they are really good to me so I end up going there. Went to an independent shop to get turbos done and they didn't pre-adjust the wastegates so my new wastegates rattle! In their defense, they thought the turbo's and wastegates came pre-adjusted.... right........
ouch.

I bought the part myself will attempt to do it myself, start next week. Cost me $66.

I had parts of the engine out anyways from plugs replacement
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
swifty
Major
23
Rep
1,295
Posts

 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

iTrader: (5)

What kind of symptoms should I be looking for? I have a N55 2011 with 60k.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST