E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Jose_JN's Avatar DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth
How to install a Head Unit with buit-in USB and Bluetooth
Jose_JN
05-06-2012
Hi mates!

This time I am showing you how to identify and retrofit a new Professional Head Unit wit built-in USB and Bluetooth features on my e93 from 05/2007

The improvement is very high!
Now, I have an USB socket and I don't need my iPod anymore because the USB...
  #110  
By plotino on 12-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
I routed the wire from the radio to the roof light. I removed the rubber from the door frame, and this gave me access to the A pillar (there is about 6-7mm of open space covered by the rubber door seal). Take care with the airbag, the wire must not block airbag deployment. I removed the sun visor and roof handle and I could lower the roof a bit and push the wire all the way to the center front dome light
Thanks for the further details! I'll try to follow your instructions to install the mic on my e91.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
By woodpecka on 12-07-2012, 08:17 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
If you have the phone prep, you can access the fzd microphone harness into the junction box and join the microphone wires to the radio.

This is my plan. Anybody did it before?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
By woodpecka on 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST
the mic wires end with 2 pin connectors that you insert in the bmw plastic connector. Pins are the same vw/bmw, so they will work

Haven't tested bluetooth on the road, only when stationary and worked great, other person did not know I was on carkit
Did you test it on the road?
Reply With Quote
  #113  
By 4EST on 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I did test it on the road, works excellent, the other person could not tell I was on carkit
Reply With Quote
  #114  
By DUI Elite on 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
sorry i didn't read the whole thread so dunno if it was brought up, but I have a 2006 325i but I have the professional HU, yet I have none of these features.

Is it radios from a certain year E9X that work?
Reply With Quote
  #115  
By alexwhittemore on 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
sorry i didn't read the whole thread so dunno if it was brought up, but I have a 2006 325i but I have the professional HU, yet I have none of these features.

Is it radios from a certain year E9X that work?
Not reading the whole thread is a really quick way to get cussed out, and admitting that you're just being lazy is almost worse. So I'll do this before someone else does:



But I'll be nice anyway. Synopsis:

Professional HUs can be retrofitted with bluetooth and/or USB by adding another box in the trunk (MULF) and appropriate wiring, then coding the units properly.

Additionally, very new headunits (still called Professional) can be purchased which have USB and Bluetooth built-in, also enabled by appropriate coding and wiring.

In your case, you don't have any of the features because you need to wire in a MULF, mic, bluetooth antenna, USB cable, and AUX socket with USB jack.

If you want more information, search.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
By DUI Elite on 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Not reading the whole thread is a really quick way to get cussed out, and admitting that you're just being lazy is almost worse. So I'll do this before someone else does:



But I'll be nice anyway. Synopsis:

Professional HUs can be retrofitted with bluetooth and/or USB by adding another box in the trunk (MULF) and appropriate wiring, then coding the units properly.

Additionally, very new headunits (still called Professional) can be purchased which have USB and Bluetooth built-in, also enabled by appropriate coding and wiring.

In your case, you don't have any of the features because you need to wire in a MULF, mic, bluetooth antenna, USB cable, and AUX socket with USB jack.

If you want more information, search.
Thanks for the synopsis!

I don't think I'll bother. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of difference.

Last thing though, do I still have the upgraded amp in comparison?
Reply With Quote
  #117  
By alexwhittemore on 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Thanks for the synopsis!

I don't think I'll bother. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of difference.

Last thing though, do I still have the upgraded amp in comparison?
The bluetooth certainly is convenient, but I'm not sure I'd pay the hundreds of dollars for the OEM USB - it's not terribly useful. It's convenient, but you're better off going third party with a Kufatec Fiscon (most expensive, most useful), Mobridge, or Parrot (least OEM, but still gets you BT, BT streaming stereo, and USB).

And unclear. The Professional HU is prerequisite for hifi, but I don't think means you have it automatically. There were periods when american cars came with hifi as the lowest option, but I'm not sure where your car falls.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
By DUI Elite on 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The bluetooth certainly is convenient, but I'm not sure I'd pay the hundreds of dollars for the OEM USB - it's not terribly useful. It's convenient, but you're better off going third party with a Kufatec Fiscon (most expensive, most useful), Mobridge, or Parrot (least OEM, but still gets you BT, BT streaming stereo, and USB).

And unclear. The Professional HU is prerequisite for hifi, but I don't think means you have it automatically. There were periods when american cars came with hifi as the lowest option, but I'm not sure where your car falls.
One needs tweeters in the doors (by the mirrors) to qualify for having HiFi right?

I always assumed mine did because of this.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
By alexwhittemore on 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
One needs tweeters in the doors (by the mirrors) to qualify for having HiFi right?

I always assumed mine did because of this.
Yes, and that indicates that you definitely do have hifi. So you should have an analog-connected amp in the back left of your trunk right below where the CD changer would go (there should be a removable plastic plate covering it). I say analog because the Logic 7 amp connects to the source (headunit) via MOST and streams all the audio over fiber optic before D to A and amplification.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
By snoozee on 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The bluetooth certainly is convenient, but I'm not sure I'd pay the hundreds of dollars for the OEM USB - it's not terribly useful. It's convenient, but you're better off going third party with a Kufatec Fiscon (most expensive, most useful), Mobridge, or Parrot (least OEM, but still gets you BT, BT streaming stereo, and USB).

And unclear. The Professional HU is prerequisite for hifi, but I don't think means you have it automatically. There were periods when american cars came with hifi as the lowest option, but I'm not sure where your car falls.
from what i've read, the same professional HU is used for normal, hifi and logic7 audio setup. it's just what the HU is coded for that makes the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #121  
By alexwhittemore on 12-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I don't know what model years they were optional on, but the lowest HU is for sure 'business'.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
By Jose_JN on 12-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I don't know what model years they were optional on, but the lowest HU is for sure 'business'.
In USA, HiFi+Professional HU is the lowest option I think

Here in Spain you have the Stereo speakers + Business HU as lower option which is a complete piece of shit.

4 Speakers of 4" and 2 woofers of 6,5" are the lowest in Spain (and the rest of countries I think) and only 15Wx4. (6 speakers and 60W rms total)

HiFi option has 4 speakers of 4", 4 Tweeters of 1" and 2 woofers of 8" and its offer 4x25W + 2x40W (10 speakers and 180W rms total)

The firsts Professional HU was capable:
- Logic 7
- Hifi
- Individual Audio
- Bluetooth
- USB
- CD Changer
- ...

Using MOST ring and external modules such as MULF, ULF, Sirius, CDC, AMP...


The new models come without MOST gateway depending on which equipment will be fitted. So if you have Logic7 or a CDC you need one suitable for this.

HiFi option is still available with ALL Professional HU (and with business too I think) because the HiFi amp is connected to the analogic lines.

Regards.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmw oem audio systems tis.pdf (191.5 KB, 165 views)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
By woodpecka on 12-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Guys,

Everything works (BT, USB, VoiceControl) exepting the 6FL (Ipod Integration).

As I had to code the 2URAD manually, I could have missed one parameter to activate the Ipod option.

Anybody has an idea or can share his 2RAD / 2URAD MAN file from a working 6FL radio?

When you code with VO $6FL, it start working?

Anybody here have been able to use the IPOD integration on a 2006?
Last edited by woodpecka; 12-20-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
By dasacom on 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Hi,

at the end of the video you mention to change the wiring of the tweeters when running an Alpine Hifi Set.

Is there an difference because of the change from Radio Business to Radio Prof.?

I would like to change from an old Radio Prof. (without BT/USB) to a new one with integrated USB/BT. So do I have to change wiring?

Thanks, Kind regards,
Reply With Quote
  #125  
By woodpecka on 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Guys,

Everything works (BT, USB, VoiceControl) exepting the 6FL (Ipod Integration).

As I had to code the 2URAD manually, I could have missed one parameter to activate the Ipod option.

Anybody has an idea or can share his 2RAD / 2URAD MAN file from a working 6FL radio?

When you code with VO $6FL, it start working?

Anybody here have been able to use the IPOD integration on a 2006?
more info:
-When I use the BMW cable, nothing happen.
-When I use the ipod std cable, I got an Ipod icon with a wrong cable msg.

So, the radio looks coded for Ipod but can use it when installed. I'm trying to found a know working cable and doing the test. Maybe my cable is broken.
Or, my coding is wrong to use the ipod connection.

I would like to get your 2RAD 2URAD MAN files to compare the codes.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
By alexwhittemore on 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
more info:
-When I use the BMW cable, nothing happen.
-When I use the ipod std cable, I got an Ipod icon with a wrong cable msg.

So, the radio looks coded for Ipod but can use it when installed. I'm trying to found a know working cable and doing the test. Maybe my cable is broken.
Or, my coding is wrong to use the ipod connection.

I would like to get your 2RAD 2URAD MAN files to compare the codes.
So the problem there is that 90% of people can't code their 2RAD or 2URAD, which means we can't pull .MAN files to give you for comparison

But an easy test in the mean time is - load a USB thumb drive up with a couple of .mp3 or .mp4 files and plug it in. If you can browse them on the headunit, you've got a messed up Y cable but your coding is all set.

I'd try two thumb drives before you conclude that the coding is the problem - the 6FL can be pretty picky about which drives it likes. They definitely need to be formatted fat32 as well.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
By woodpecka on 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
So the problem there is that 90% of people can't code their 2RAD or 2URAD, which means we can't pull .MAN files to give you for comparison

But an easy test in the mean time is - load a USB thumb drive up with a couple of .mp3 or .mp4 files and plug it in. If you can browse them on the headunit, you've got a messed up Y cable but your coding is all set.

I'd try two thumb drives before you conclude that the coding is the problem - the 6FL can be pretty picky about which drives it likes. They definitely need to be formatted fat32 as well.
Thank you for you reply.

USB work fine! I can browse by all types my USB key, play and controlling my music.

So if USB works, IPOD should works with the same setup?

BTW, when I do a reset of the radio, USB is there by default but no BT. I tried it and the IPOD issue was the same.
I need to test another cable.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
By alexwhittemore on 12-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Thank you for you reply.

USB work fine! I can browse by all types my USB key, play and controlling my music.

So if USB works, IPOD should works with the same setup?
YEP! Your Y cable must just be dead and/or counterfeit and/or fake. For the record, this is the cable I purchased and it works as expected:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

I will say this: the Y cables can be pretty finicky. Fiddle around with it a while before you go and spend more money on a new one. For example, plug it in, play some music on the ipod/phone, open the music app if it's the phone, switch which app is playing music, etc etc. The handshake from the phone to the cable electronics to the MULF to the headunit has a bunch of stages and can very easily get fouled up, it's not uncommon for me to plug my phone in and start playing music from some app with the headunit thinking it's in AUX mode, only to have it cut out, switch to radio a few seconds later, and require me to switch back to what is now recognized as ipod mode.

Congratulations on successfully coding everything, at least!
Reply With Quote
  #129  
By woodpecka on 12-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
I bought this cable and the guy told me it was made in Germany by the same BMW supplier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MINI-iPO...item1c2861b49a

It should support the integration so I will try to play a litle bit more with it in the car. The best would be to try it on another car and trying a working cable in my car.

Thanks again, you help me!
Reply With Quote
  #130  
By Jose_JN on 12-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasacom View Post
Hi,

at the end of the video you mention to change the wiring of the tweeters when running an Alpine Hifi Set.

Is there an difference because of the change from Radio Business to Radio Prof.?

I would like to change from an old Radio Prof. (without BT/USB) to a new one with integrated USB/BT. So do I have to change wiring?

Thanks, Kind regards,
Hi,

Yes, if you have an Alpine HiFi retrofit, it has 2 connectors at the sound filters, one for 662 HU and other for the rest (663,606,609) so do not forget to change the wire to the proper socket.

Regards.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
By Jose_JN on 12-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
100%100%100%
5
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
60%60%60%
3
Average 60%
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
more info:
-When I use the BMW cable, nothing happen.
-When I use the ipod std cable, I got an Ipod icon with a wrong cable msg.

So, the radio looks coded for Ipod but can use it when installed. I'm trying to found a know working cable and doing the test. Maybe my cable is broken.
Or, my coding is wrong to use the ipod connection.

I would like to get your 2RAD 2URAD MAN files to compare the codes.
Hi,

There is NO special codes for IPOD. It is the same than USB, so if USB is working properly, your problem is the Y-cable.

Remember that there are two Y-wires for BMW.
One is for cars with COMBOX integration and the other one is for others cars.
Buy the suitable for you and try it again.

The right reference is:
61120440812

I have not tried it. The only thing I have tested is the same than you, plug my ipod to the usb with the iPod cable and see 'Use a proper cable for iPod' at the HU screen.

Regards.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST