E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question about alignment after suspension install



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (8)

Question about alignment after suspension install

Hey so I just picked up a used set of KW V1's and was planning on getting them installed along with an alignment soon. My question is about what tires I should be running during the alignment... Right now the car is on winter wheels (225/45/17) so is it necessary to switch to the summer wheels for the alignment? I was told by a few people that the wheels don't really affect alignments so it would be fine to just get it done with the winters. I'd rather not wait until spring when I can put the other wheels back on or put them back on just for the alignment... Would it be smarter to wait/put the summers on or do the wheels actually not make a difference when it comes to alignment? The summers are 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 in the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
It won't matter which wheels you use for the alignment.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
It won't matter which wheels you use for the alignment.
Ok well that's good news. I always thought that wheel size mattered and you were supposed to get alignment done with the summer wheels for some reason . Now I can work on getting them installed soon
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 864
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Ok well that's good news. I always thought that wheel size mattered and you were supposed to get alignment done with the summer wheels for some reason . Now I can work on getting them installed soon
Nope only reason alignment might change if you changed wheels is if you needed drastically more camber to fit the wheels you're trying to run, etc etc... otherwise the alignment is all at the hub level.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Nope only reason alignment might change if you changed wheels is if you needed drastically more camber to fit the wheels you're trying to run, etc etc... otherwise the alignment is all at the hub level.
Ok that's what I was hoping. Thanks!
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
 
MassBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 LCI 328i xDrive
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mansfield, MA

Posts: 6,989
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
Make sure that you get your alignment done at a reputable tuning shop. Some shops will just put you to stock alignment, which obviously won't be correct because you're lower and it changes the suspension geometry.
__________________
E90 LCI 328i xDrive: M-Sport Conversion / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW Performance Intake / BMW Performance Steering Wheel / VMR V710 / KW V1
MassBimmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
Make sure that you get your alignment done at a reputable tuning shop. Some shops will just put you to stock alignment, which obviously won't be correct because you're lower and it changes the suspension geometry.
Yea i'm having the guy installing the coilovers take it to a shop he's used and he trusts. Pretty sure they also use the hunter alignment machine which is great
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Captain
 
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E93 N54
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 812
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmitty95 View Post
Hey so I just picked up a used set of KW V1's and was planning on getting them installed along with an alignment soon. My question is about what tires I should be running during the alignment... Right now the car is on winter wheels (225/45/17) so is it necessary to switch to the summer wheels for the alignment? I was told by a few people that the wheels don't really affect alignments so it would be fine to just get it done with the winters. I'd rather not wait until spring when I can put the other wheels back on or put them back on just for the alignment... Would it be smarter to wait/put the summers on or do the wheels actually not make a difference when it comes to alignment? The summers are 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 in the back. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Toe & Camber have little to do with a given tire. Ride height either since that's measured to the metal wheel rim.

Naturally if tires are greatly oversized or if your ride's lowered tires can be much more a factor - assume that's not you.
CALWATERBOY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
psmitty95
Brigadier General
 
psmitty95's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 335i xDrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Greenwich, CT

Posts: 3,566
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Toe & Camber have little to do with a given tire. Ride height either since that's measured to the metal wheel rim.

Naturally if tires are greatly oversized or if your ride's lowered tires can be much more a factor - assume that's not you.
Well the car will be lowered once suspension is installed but I wouldn't consider a staggered 235 and 265 set tup oversized, right? Basically i'm hoping I can get the coils installed and the car aligned on these winter tires which are a square set up but not lose any handling when i throw summer tires on. If it would be better to get the alignment done on the summer's i'd throw them on but it seems like the wheels have nothing to do with it so I should be fine.
__________________
< Click picture for photoshoot
E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
Mods: FBO + Meth JB4 ISO, BB flash, VRSF DP/FMIC, ER CP, Stett, SteveAZ LPFP & more
More Pictures: Build Thread /// Shop I use: Aci Dynamix 408AWHP/ 483AWTQ Uncorrected Mustang Dyno
psmitty95 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST