E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding Cable - Great Deal



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
wwc310
Second Lieutenant
 
wwc310's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Coding Cable - Great Deal

Saw this today when I searched for the cable online and seemed like a cheap alternative to the $100 cable

Does anyone know if this cable will work with a 2012 E92 335i?

http://www.buy.com/prod/new-bmw-inpa...245912265.html
wwc310 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
rich123321
Captain
 
rich123321's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 795
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.17]
No it will not work
rich123321 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
wwc310
Second Lieutenant
 
wwc310's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich123321 View Post
No it will not work
Do you mind explaining why? I have been comparing cables online and the description is very similar between numerous cables on different sites

thanks
wwc310 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (0)

The problem is this: some cables use an FTDI brand USB to UART chip internally, but that chip is more expensive than some other less reliable alternatives. So if you're looking at a $10 or $12 cable, it's very likely to give you trouble.

That said, rich is probably just wrong - it looks ALMOST identical to my cable which does work (and which I paid $50 for, not $100). The real question is, are you willing to gamble $25 to find out? I'd give it 75% chance that it works alright, 25% chance that you get super angry at it and annoyed until you give up and spend $50 on a different cable which works right away
alexwhittemore is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
rich123321
Captain
 
rich123321's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 795
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore
The problem is this: some cables use an FTDI brand USB to UART chip internally, but that chip is more expensive than some other less reliable alternatives. So if you're looking at a $10 or $12 cable, it's very likely to give you trouble.

That said, rich is probably just wrong - it looks ALMOST identical to my cable which does work (and which I paid $50 for, not $100). The real question is, are you willing to gamble $25 to find out? I'd give it 75% chance that it works alright, 25% chance that you get super angry at it and annoyed until you give up and spend $50 on a different cable which works right away
Actually I am right. According to the seller it works from 98-2008. Looks don't mean anything it all depends on what's inside
rich123321 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
wwc310
Second Lieutenant
 
wwc310's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich123321 View Post
Actually I am right. According to the seller it works from 98-2008. Looks don't mean anything it all depends on what's inside
It says

"E90- E91- E92- E93 since 04- 2007--2012"

Which I took mean April 2007-2012.

Am i wrong?
wwc310 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
rich123321
Captain
 
rich123321's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 325i E90
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida

Posts: 795
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW E90  [4.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchilds310 View Post
It says

"E90- E91- E92- E93 since 04- 2007--2012"

Which I took mean April 2007-2012.

Am i wrong?
Yes,
"This Interface USB OBD2 for BMW - INPA/Ediabas - K+DCAN allows full diagnostic of BMW from 1998 to 2008 (all functiosn as in OMNITEC interface). Build in 2 lines K and D-Can magistral."
rich123321 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,564
iTrader: (0)

It clearly says both, meaning like I said it's a gamble. Being an electrical engineer, I know exactly what's inside. I've designed it before.
alexwhittemore is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #9
Verbatim
Colonel
 
Verbatim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

Posts: 2,555
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
The problem is this: some cables use an FTDI brand USB to UART chip internally, but that chip is more expensive than some other less reliable alternatives. So if you're looking at a $10 or $12 cable, it's very likely to give you trouble.

That said, rich is probably just wrong - it looks ALMOST identical to my cable which does work (and which I paid $50 for, not $100). The real question is, are you willing to gamble $25 to find out? I'd give it 75% chance that it works alright, 25% chance that you get super angry at it and annoyed until you give up and spend $50 on a different cable which works right away
Like you said, I gambled the $25, except I never expected the cable to be faulty. I spent 10 or so hours downloading and installing the software three times over from different sources, and i attempted to connect to my car roughly five or six times.
Alas, the $25 cable wasted a lot of my time

Where is this wonderful $50 cable you speak of?!
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Verbatim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
mrtanz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

I thought you needed the newer ENET cable to work wiht anything from 2012 onwards and you cant use INPA or NCS?
mrtanz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
cn555ic
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
cn555ic's Avatar
 
Drives: 917-939-4980
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York

Posts: 18,261
iTrader: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to cn555ic
Enet cable is only for F series. Anything E series uses Dcan
__________________

Coding E and F New York 917-939-4980
cn555ic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST