E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Interior LED question

12-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
christiandflores
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW M3 E46

Garage List
2005 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Interior LED question

my friend has an interior led strip with only positive/negative cables, nothing else. we wanted to wire them so that they turn on when the engine turns on, but nothing more. similar to how angel eyes are wired into E46's. has anyone had luck with this sort of set up or know the trigger wire for the ignition? thanks
christiandflores is offline   United_States
      12-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
skinrock
Agent Smith

Drives: 2013 Fusion AWD

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
There are a few places you can tap into on your fuse box to achieve this, or you can splice into wires in your shifter area (may not be the case on manuals) or in the mirror/sunroof module area.

Best thing you can do is buy a multimeter from Radio Shack and test...they are like $15-20 and a good investment.

On a side note, is he planning on using this as an interior light? Because having it on permanently does not seem like a wise idea at all, depending on where you're putting it and what its purpose is.
      12-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
christiandflores
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2005 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
There are a few places you can tap into on your fuse box to achieve this, or you can splice into wires in your shifter area (may not be the case on manuals) or in the mirror/sunroof module area.

Best thing you can do is buy a multimeter from Radio Shack and test...they are like $15-20 and a good investment.

On a side note, is he planning on using this as an interior light? Because having it on permanently does not seem like a wise idea at all, depending on where you're putting it and what its purpose is.
Any idea of what exact fuse wires are capable. sunroof seems good for now. Her car is auto, they're 4 blue Led strips and i think she just wants to use it at night as ambient lighting, similar to the orange lighting you get from the center on the roof
      12-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
skinrock
Agent Smith

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandflores View Post
Any idea of what exact fuse wires are capable. sunroof seems good for now. Her car is auto, they're 4 blue Led strips and i think she just wants to use it at night as ambient lighting, similar to the orange lighting you get from the center on the roof
Here is a good DIY for tapping into the sunroof area: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=radar

Same concept. There may be a couple Green/White wires up there, though. If I remember correctly, mine wasn't the same as the DIY. If you tap into it and it doesn't work, try the other and just tape the other one up. Use these crimps for that reason:

12-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
christiandflores
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2005 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinrock View Post
Here is a good DIY for tapping into the sunroof area: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=radar

Same concept. There may be a couple Green/White wires up there, though. If I remember correctly, mine wasn't the same as the DIY. If you tap into it and it doesn't work, try the other and just tape the other one up. Use these crimps for that reason:

thanks, literrally i thought about wiring it similar to the V1 a couple minutes after i replied back
      12-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Unforuntaly this BMW is a bit of a pain when it comes to fuses a majority have power even when the car is off.

Also since every make and model and trim is different BMW has sometimes changed which fuses #'s do what.

Anyway, you may want to try testing with the homelink or garage door opener fuse as that on my car was an ignition only power, i used that with an add a fuse for my valentine one. Every car is a little different unless its the same year and trim.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      12-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
christiandflores
Second Lieutenant

Garage List
2005 BMW M3 E46  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Unforuntaly this BMW is a bit of a pain when it comes to fuses a majority have power even when the car is off.

Also since every make and model and trim is different BMW has sometimes changed which fuses #'s do what.

Anyway, you may want to try testing with the homelink or garage door opener fuse as that on my car was an ignition only power, i used that with an add a fuse for my valentine one. Every car is a little different unless its the same year and trim.
we used the green and white wiring found in the dome light, worked perfectly
      12-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
skinrock
Agent Smith

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.45]
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiandflores View Post
we used the green and white wiring found in the dome light, worked perfectly