E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Charge pipe advice [fitting]

12-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Sparky68
Colonel

Drives: e90 335i JB4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Charge pipe advice [fitting]

Just bought one of these from the USA forum

http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...v-kit-p80.aspx

I know the cowl will need to come off and probably the air box [though i have a BMS Cone Kit to go on] so may as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Anything else need to come off to gain access to the charge pipe?

JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
Sparky68 is online now   United Kingdom
      12-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335D

I am not to familar with the charge pipe on the i but on my d when I removed mine, the undercover tray had to come off and had good access from underneath. But to remove the clip off the top end of the pipe to the turbo I had to remove the airbox and one of the air intake pipes and had good access from above
      12-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Sparky68
Colonel

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
I am not to familar with the charge pipe on the i but on my d when I removed mine, the undercover tray had to come off and had good access from underneath. But to remove the clip off the top end of the pipe to the turbo I had to remove the airbox and one of the air intake pipes and had good access from above
Will have a look later to see if the layout is similar.

JB4 G5 iso - Borla Catback Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and BOV - BMS Intake - Alpina Gearbox Flash - Apex Springs - Koni Shocks -BBS LM Reps Whiteline Rear subframe bushes BMS Meth kit waiting to go on
      12-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Yoro35i
TROll

Drives: E92 335I M

careful when working on the pipes. the Intercooler piping that goes to the charge pipe is a p*in in the a$$ due to not having much space to work. i think i managed to loosen the coolant pipes when i worked on the pipes and now i have to fill up my coolant every 2 months.
MY08 E92 335i M Sport|Wrap by Surrey Project |ETS Intercooler|VSRF Dp's|BMS OCC|BMC filter|CoBB AP|EBC Yellow & Coolcarbons rear|Alpina AT Map|Michelin PSS |CF grills,CF mirror,CF Performace spoiler|LCI light|CIC controller retrofit|2014 Mods: Birds B3 Suspension kit,Project Mu pads,Afe Filter and PTF Protune & Pilot sports cups. Gone:Forged FMIC, Eisenmann Race Quad, Eisenmann Sport Dual, Duke Dynamic Diffuser. Eibach Pro springs.
Yoro35i is online now   United Kingdom
      12-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
idnan
Major

Drives: Alpine White 335i

My advice would be to remove the cowl and airbox first. Then remove the pipes which connect to the diverter valves from the air intake tubes. Also pull off the vacuum tubes for the diverter valves as you need these for your BOV.

After that take remove the large C clip which holds the CP to the throttle body and then undo the jubilee on the intercooler side. Don't lose the C clip as it can't be bought from BMW on its own. Next is the torx bolt near the middle of the charge pipe which holds it in place. The MAP sensor will still be connected at this point, it is a bit fiddly to remove but a thin screwdriver and a bit of patience will allow you to remove the wiring loom. You might be able to wiggle the CP out and twist it and then remove the wiring but you don't want to stretch the cables.

Space isn't so bad on that side, trying to do anything on the turbo/steering column side is a complete pisstake. I have big hands and need to change the engine mount which looks to be impossible
idnan is offline   England
      12-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Sparky68
Colonel

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
My advice would be to remove the cowl and airbox first. Then remove the pipes which connect to the diverter valves from the air intake tubes. Also pull off the vacuum tubes for the diverter valves as you need these for your BOV.

After that take remove the large C clip which holds the CP to the throttle body and then undo the jubilee on the intercooler side. Don't lose the C clip as it can't be bought from BMW on its own. Next is the torx bolt near the middle of the charge pipe which holds it in place. The MAP sensor will still be connected at this point, it is a bit fiddly to remove but a thin screwdriver and a bit of patience will allow you to remove the wiring loom. You might be able to wiggle the CP out and twist it and then remove the wiring but you don't want to stretch the cables.

Space isn't so bad on that side, trying to do anything on the turbo/steering column side is a complete pisstake. I have big hands and need to change the engine mount which looks to be impossible
1/2 a days work then idnan ? Will wait for the weather to improve a bit first, may sell the 335 and buy a boat