E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > What do you love & hate about your beemer?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (0)

What do you love & hate about your beemer?

I'm just curious as to why your perceptions are of your bmr and what were the key attributes as to what allured you to purchasing your car.

My Ride: E92 335i

Love: 1.The timeless shape of the coupe 2. In space grey the car is kinda non de script and unassuming (I love neat tidy unassuming cars) 3. Solid engineering and build along with excellent paintwork. 99% of the bmr I viewed before buying mine still had excellent paintwork yet the interiors were well worn 4. Ease of power from a few small mods and the amount of info on this forum to help with key purchases has come in handy 5. The torque the N54 has, you don't have to rev it unlike a RB26 (albeit it doesn't have the nice hit at the top end of a tuned RB) The N54 isn't the best inline 6 for acoustics, but it still emits a great note

Hates: 1. The stigma attached to owning a bmw (spend $60k on a SS/XR8, yet spend the same amount on a bmw and you get a few haters jealous types) 2. The fabled BMW tax on parts and servicing 3. For a $120k car new I find some options absurd! Folding mirrors have been standard on $20k cars for 10 years, keyless start/entry etc is also a option 4. Some of the interior panels seem to wear prematurely (mainly found on other cars I viewed b4 buying mine, but the grab handle in my car is all worn) I expect better on a luxury car north of $100k 5. The satnav system is useless & frustrating to use via the idrive toggle

Last edited by DR-JEKL; 01-02-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: The title confused the simpler folk amongst us :P
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

BMR? U mean BMW?
Jexus is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
BMR? U mean BMW?
BMR as in beemer
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Rob32R
Banned
 
Drives: 530i/VW R32/E70 X5
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

LOL I seriously thought you meant BMR Autowerkes Shane.
Rob32R is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
_ink
Captain
 
_ink's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 914
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob32R View Post
LOL I seriously thought you meant BMR Autowerkes Shane.
+1

I think you should modify the title Shane.
_ink is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
+1

I think you should modify the title Shane.
Done
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
Ninjaoz
Captain
 
Ninjaoz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW X5 3.0d  [5.00]
2011 BMW 320d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
5. The satnav system is useless & frustrating to use via the idrive toggle
You might find the newer i-drive system (post '09) is a lot more easier to use than your current version.
Ninjaoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaoz View Post
You might find the newer i-drive system (post '09) is a lot more easier to use than your current version.

I actually find the old i-drive easier to use personally, it's nice and simple and the navigation gets you a to b. But with the new idrive, you can't even input a new destination without having to stop your car or it won't let you.. wtf
Jexus is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
_ink
Captain
 
_ink's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 914
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexus View Post
I actually find the old i-drive easier to use personally, it's nice and simple and the navigation gets you a to b. But with the new idrive, you can't even input a new destination without having to stop your car or it won't let you.. wtf
Really? Mine lets me do it on the fly. Mines the CIC iDrive though.
_ink is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
sbce90
Me Boosta
 
sbce90's Avatar
 
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 5,457
iTrader: (3)

09 320i LCI Msport

Loves - The power

Hates - The handling
sbce90 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
mrtanz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 2008 325i upgrade
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 445
iTrader: (0)

Hate the older CCC navigation
Too slow to navigate to anything
Driven a few CIC ones and love it, nice and quick, easier to scrool the letters for navigation
mrtanz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Jexus
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Really? Mine lets me do it on the fly. Mines the CIC iDrive though.
Hmm i dunno if it's CIC or not, i was testing it on my dad's beemer and it's a 2011 model.
lol no love for the old i-drive!
Jexus is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #13
Peter@Advan
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Peter@Advan's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 1,312
iTrader: (0)

07 335 E92

Likes- That wonderful N54 engine, Interior layout, That magic coupe shape. Top quality paint work, General fit and finish of the car. Very tuner friendly

Dislikes - Toooooooo many plastic parts that brake, Flimsy rear suspension, No LSD, Stupid wheel bolts why not use a stud, Crap satnav and associated electronics, Stupid intercooler, A radiator and oil cooler that is to small for our Aussie climate. Electro water pump, High pressure fuel pump still not sorted, Plastic fuel lines and stupid snap connectors, the brake package works but looks like it is from an X5, Temperamental electronics that will be a huge issue in another 5 or so years, Long life or life time oil policy that may or may not be an issue with high Kms. All in all when they are 15 + years old you don't want to own one.

BUT you know what, i still smile when i am behind the wheel
mobile phone charged up and a good tool kit aboard
Peter@Advan is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
bornadog335i
First Lieutenant
 
bornadog335i's Avatar
 
Drives: Black MY09 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 368
iTrader: (0)

Love:

*German engineering - the car feels so good to drive
* The N54

Hate

* Satnav should be better than a tom tom but its not
bornadog335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
John_01's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Regarding my 2009 325i sedan

Love: The handling and steering feel. Classic BMW styling (IMO). Simple and functional interior layout. 6 speed manual transmission. The sound of the inline 6 cylinder engine.

Hate: Body creaks. BMW Navigation system which is almost useless. BMW condition based servicing intervals. Rattling sound of BMW valvetronic system when idling.

Mods on my car - 1. Conventional Non-RFT tyres. 2. Clutch restriction valve delete. 3. BMW performance air intake.
John_01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
_ink
Captain
 
_ink's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 914
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Likes- That wonderful N54 engine, Interior layout, That magic coupe shape. Top quality paint work, General fit and finish of the car. Very tuner friendly

Dislikes - Toooooooo many plastic parts that brake, Flimsy rear suspension, No LSD, Stupid wheel bolts why not use a stud, Crap satnav and associated electronics, Stupid intercooler, A radiator and oil cooler that is to small for our Aussie climate. Electro water pump, High pressure fuel pump still not sorted, Plastic fuel lines and stupid snap connectors, the brake package works but looks like it is from an X5, Temperamental electronics that will be a huge issue in another 5 or so years, Long life or life time oil policy that may or may not be an issue with high Kms. All in all when they are 15 + years old you don't want to own one.

BUT you know what, i still smile when i am behind the wheel
mobile phone charged up and a good tool kit aboard
+1 Pete!

I feel exactly the same with your pros and cons with the below additions:

Likes:
Interior LED strips in doors
Comfort Access
LED convenience lighting on door handles and under doors
Onboard Vehicle diagnostics
Black (msport) headliner
Factory flush guards


Dislikes:
Wastegate rattle
Dull tacho/speedo (needs an update)
Woodgrain/marl interior trim
No jack included in car
__________________
... Check out the garage
_ink is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
dpark
Private
 
Drives: BMW 325i E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canberra, ACT

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Love most things about it, but a few things get to me:

- Terrible satnav
- Drivers side grab-handle seems to wear out on all of them (or atleast the ones I've seen..)
- Access to the last couple of spark plugs closest to windscreen is an absolute pain
- Wheel bolts
- And finally, the way the seat belt buckle hits the door trim and causes it to chip away. I guess they couldn't see this coming since it gradually happens over time..
dpark is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpark View Post
Love most things about it, but a few things get to me:

- Terrible satnav
- Drivers side grab-handle seems to wear out on all of them (or atleast the ones I've seen..)
- Access to the last couple of spark plugs closest to windscreen is an absolute pain
- Wheel bolts
- And finally, the way the seat belt buckle hits the door trim and causes it to chip away. I guess they couldn't see this coming since it gradually happens over time..
Sat nav shits me also, and my grab handle is mangled also!

The wheel bolts doesn't really worry me so far

I had forgotten the absence of a good ol fashion dip stick shits me also. The auto check is handy, but surely they could have installed a manual dipstick also for a peace of mind! This will become an issue in 10 years time when the oil level sensors start to play up...

Oh and a spare wheel also, a can of goo is handy, but no good if you blow out a tyre sidewall on a 30 series profile which will leave the nice 19" rim all mangled if you attempt to continue on with the goo leaking out of a punctured sidewall.
DR-JEKL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
dpark
Private
 
Drives: BMW 325i E92
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canberra, ACT

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Sat nav shits me also, and my grab handle is mangled also!

The wheel bolts doesn't really worry me so far

I had forgotten the absence of a good ol fashion dip stick shits me also. The auto check is handy, but surely they could have installed a manual dipstick also for a peace of mind! This will become an issue in 10 years time when the oil level sensors start to play up...

Oh and a spare wheel also, a can of goo is handy, but no good if you blow out a tyre sidewall on a 30 series profile which will leave the nice 19" rim all mangled if you attempt to continue on with the goo leaking out of a punctured sidewall.
Yeah, the wheel bolts thing just gets to me coming from studs; its much easier to mount the wheel with studs as opposed to trying to line up the holes

+1 on the dipstick!

Oh, and forgot about window tint not sitting properly over the dotted portions. Fussy, I know...
dpark is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #20
John_01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
John_01's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Yeh the 3 series missing some basic things like a spare tyre and a dipstick. I think that everyone already knows that.

I keep a space saver spare in the trunk/boot. The dipstick issue is a bit of a concern, since you wouldn't get an accurate idea of oil consumption unless you drain it and measure it. I do that myself - but I don't think there are any others who would!
John_01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
_ink
Captain
 
_ink's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i 09' DCT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 914
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpark View Post
Oh, and forgot about window tint not sitting properly over the dotted portions. Fussy, I know...
Oh yeah!!! That's a really good point! The dot matrix on the rear window!!!
_ink is online now   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #22
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

I hate the fact they sell em to any old fucker, like those farkn sooks that complain about no horse, manual crank to start the car, no jack or spare tyre and wait for it....... a fark'n dot pattern around the window???? WTF

I bet those dot fuckers even complain about having to put petrol in every coupla hundred K's
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST