E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E92 (2006) UK Model - iPod / MS8 Q



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

E92 (2006) UK Model - iPod / MS8 Q

After months of stalling, I'm finally getting my audio done by someone next weekend but I want to know how best I can connect my iPod and make it as user friendly as possible.

I have iDrive and I believe the CCC version, it's a late 2006 car.

My kit in it's entireity include:

- JL 12w7 AE-3
- JL HD 600/4
- JL HD 750/1
- JL RLC
- JBL MS-8
- Jehnert XE200 8"
- Morel Hybrid Ovation 2
- Full Custom Boot Build

I want to be able to connect my iPod. It doesn't matter if I can't control via iDrive but will I at least be able to control vol levels via stock HU?

I have tried using several cables to connect my iPhone/iPod via the armrest AUX In but only the right side speaker wants to work for some strange reason....

Please help

Sam
P.S. Can anyone attach a link to the downloadable MS-8 Soundtrack online. I don't have their CD which I figure I'll need come setting up and I've not been able to find this link/sound file anywhere
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,880
iTrader: (5)

You can set iPod to hard drive mode and use it as a giant USB stick.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You can set iPod to hard drive mode and use it as a giant USB stick.
Thanks, how do I do that?
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,420
iTrader: (46)

BMW ipod retrofit kit
Or
Mobridge
http://www.mobridge-ipod.co.uk/docs/...11.pdf#page=23
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 3,981
iTrader: (0)

Or Dension gateway 500s

Or Dension gateway 500s
look it up at Dension.com
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
kaigoss69
Colonel
 
kaigoss69's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

Posts: 2,880
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
You can set iPod to hard drive mode and use it as a giant USB stick.
Thanks, how do I do that?
In iTunes, I can't remember how, just google it!
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > JL Audio HD600/4 > (3) Hybrid Audio L3SE & (2) Rainbow Cal25; JL Audio HD900/5 > (2) Morel HCW-10 & (1) IDMax 15
kaigoss69 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Okay I'll look it up. So after i change the iPod setting to HD, is there a special type of Aux cable that works as alot of them don't.

Also, IF I do decide to opt for one of the gadgets to retain full control of browsing etc via iDrive, will getting any one of these products, Dension 500/500s / Mobridge interefer in any way with the MS8?

I'll be reading into each of these but can you tell me which is going to be the better one/most user friendly and least costly!?

Thanks guys and wishing you a Happy New Year in advance! t - 3h 12m
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 3,981
iTrader: (0)

Dension is cheaper than Mobridge but not cheap.

I would go to there websites and ask questions .
They are pretty good about responding to emails.
Either one will require the CD option be programmed in if you don't already have it . I think one of them has an enabler but I am not sure
what it does.
I have seen the new Dension on Ebay for about 550 and there older model
without a2dp for around 425 US . Can't see how that would interfere with the MS-8 as that's and analog connection and both of these are hooked up through the Most Bus.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,420
iTrader: (46)

Sam
The quality of Aux-in is rubbish. After changing the aux-in plug / cable, you may get the sound in other side but quality of sound is not good.
What I have found is that there is some sort of distortion when I use Aux in but its all good if I use CD player. I have tried multiple aux in cable but no avail.

I've bought O-scope recently and awaiting its delivery. With some experimentation, I will be able to confirm distortion with aux-in.

I am in the same boat as you are, however my preference is to get complete control of steering wheel buttons with ipod/iphone.

I have compared all these options;
BMW ipod kit (made by Alpine) Vs Dension kit Vs MoBridge

If you search their comparison, you will find the answer most relevant to your needs.
Since you have idrive, you can ask the part number of ipod kit compatible with your car from your dealer and get it from ebay (slightly used).

As Ctuna described that you will require to have your HU coded for it to accept. Do not go for old ipod kits which use aux in to send the sound signals to HU. Get the one which fits with MOST.

For my requirements, Dension worked out in terms of quality and best bet for its price. However some have reported MoBridge best. Again, only you can decide which one is best for you.

Remember, these is no point of spending thousands on your sound kit, if your primary source of input is a cause of distortion in your sound system. Use CDs/ MP3s or buy good ipod kit.

Considering the prices of these, I am now thinking of aftermarket Audiophile HU with built in DSP and ability to go completely active (at some stage). So no MS-8 / Bit one / Bit ten and with after market HU, I'll be able to acces ipod / iphone.

If my car ever goes to dealer, putting OEM HU is hardly 15 minutes job and I'll do that.

HTHs.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #10
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Sam
The quality of Aux-in is rubbish. After changing the aux-in plug / cable, you may get the sound in other side but quality of sound is not good.
What I have found is that there is some sort of distortion when I use Aux in but its all good if I use CD player. I have tried multiple aux in cable but no avail.

I've bought O-scope recently and awaiting its delivery. With some experimentation, I will be able to confirm distortion with aux-in.

I am in the same boat as you are, however my preference is to get complete control of steering wheel buttons with ipod/iphone.

I have compared all these options;
BMW ipod kit (made by Alpine) Vs Dension kit Vs MoBridge

If you search their comparison, you will find the answer most relevant to your needs.
Since you have idrive, you can ask the part number of ipod kit compatible with your car from your dealer and get it from ebay (slightly used).

As Ctuna described that you will require to have your HU coded for it to accept. Do not go for old ipod kits which use aux in to send the sound signals to HU. Get the one which fits with MOST.

For my requirements, Dension worked out in terms of quality and best bet for its price. However some have reported MoBridge best. Again, only you can decide which one is best for you.

Remember, these is no point of spending thousands on your sound kit, if your primary source of input is a cause of distortion in your sound system. Use CDs/ MP3s or buy good ipod kit.

Considering the prices of these, I am now thinking of aftermarket Audiophile HU with built in DSP and ability to go completely active (at some stage). So no MS-8 / Bit one / Bit ten and with after market HU, I'll be able to acces ipod / iphone.

If my car ever goes to dealer, putting OEM HU is hardly 15 minutes job and I'll do that.

HTHs.
Sam2,

That's very good avice, thanks!

So after having done some reading I figured as I don't have a CD changer, I'll have to get my car recoded and it seems that MOBRIDGE will better suffice my requirements as it encompasses an all round kit (including Bluetooth). The Dension 500 does not and I understand to get BT via Dension I need to purchase yet another bit of kit. Can you confirm if I am on the right line?

I just think we're at an era of digital music and carrying CDs around isn't that convenient. I'd rather have 1 iPod / HD in the car which will give me access to my 10,000 + songs for whatever the occasion LOL. I'm fed up of listenting to the same songs on CD lol.

I have Bluetooth, iDrive and double slot CD in the car but no CD changer, does that mean I have MOST or I don't have MOST? Sorry for the noob questions but trying to figure it all out before my car goes in for the sound system installation this weekend.

Sam1.

Happy New Year folks!!
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,420
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Sam2,

The Dension 500 does not and I understand to get BT via Dension I need to purchase yet another bit of kit. Can you confirm if I am on the right line?
Correct. There are many kits getting sold with BT for approx £200-250 (used).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
I just think we're at an era of digital music and carrying CDs around isn't that convenient. I'd rather have 1 iPod / HD in the car which will give me access to my 10,000 + songs for whatever the occasion LOL. I'm fed up of listenting to the same songs on CD lol.
I am with you on this and hence I use my iphone to carry my music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
I have Bluetooth, iDrive and double slot CD in the car but no CD changer, does that mean I have MOST or I don't have MOST? Sorry for the noob questions but trying to figure it all out before my car goes in for the sound system installation this weekend.

Sam1.

Happy New Year folks!!

If you have professional navigation CCC then you have MOST.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Great!

Sam2, could you give more info on where these other kits for that price range is available, doesn't matter if used?

What about you, what kit are you thinking of opting for?

Cheers.
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,420
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Great!

Sam2, could you give more info on where these other kits for that price range is available, doesn't matter if used?

What about you, what kit are you thinking of opting for?

Cheers.

Sam
You can only find them on ebay. I have seen Densions getting sold mainly on ebay. BMW retrofit kits appear rarely and usually do not match with the one I am after.

I was going to buy BMW retrofit kit or Dension but then I made my mind to have after market HU with built in DSP and all audiophile options. And that HU can connect to ipod/ phone directly + USB + memory card.

In your case, since you have idrive, so you have to stick with OEM stuff.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Gotcha Dude.

What is the difference between getting the Dension Gateway 500 + BT adaptor (BTA1500) for £265 total OR the Dension Gateway 500s BT for £350 other than the fact that the latter is one stop shop whereas the former means having another add-on (BTA1500).. surely the 1st option is more favourable to most given its £100 less dearer?!

Am I missing something?

Sam.
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
macck
Second Lieutenant
 
macck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

Posts: 251
iTrader: (2)

Would recommend the Denison 500 works perfect . I have purchased the bluetooth adapter just have to get the car coded for bluetooth now. Also ordered the dab radio add-on for it. The spending never spots lol.
__________________

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops// brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
macck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
makkan00
Major General
 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

Posts: 6,420
iTrader: (46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Gotcha Dude.

What is the difference between getting the Dension Gateway 500 + BT adaptor (BTA1500) for £265 total OR the Dension Gateway 500s BT for £350 other than the fact that the latter is one stop shop whereas the former means having another add-on (BTA1500).. surely the 1st option is more favourable to most given its £100 less dearer?!

Am I missing something?

Sam.

I am not sure about that either. You can send them e-mail and check with them.

While you are sorting out your audio stuff, it is worth of changing your aux-in plug + cable to HU. So you can have sound in all speakers.

Once it is there and if you do not like the quality, then go for Dension / ipod retrofit kit. The reason I said that, as with MS-8 you may not get noise issues.
__________________
makkan00 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Would recommend the Denison 500 works perfect . I have purchased the bluetooth adapter just have to get the car coded for bluetooth now. Also ordered the dab radio add-on for it. The spending never spots lol.
Hey Macck,
So you bought the Dension 500 + BTA 1500 right? Do you have a CD changer? If not, youíll need your Car codedÖ Iím guess you already knew this.. but wondered what price youíve been quoted if youíre planning on getting the car coded to fool it into thinking it is equipped with the CD changer.

I have iDrive CCC (2006 reg) Professional Nav with the 8.8Ē screen and double CD slot in the front.. one for CD and one for Nav CD.. Iíll need to get mine coded IF I decide to buy the whole shíbang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I am not sure about that either. You can send them e-mail and check with them.

While you are sorting out your audio stuff, it is worth of changing your aux-in plug + cable to HU. So you can have sound in all speakers.

Once it is there and if you do not like the quality, then go for Dension / ipod retrofit kit. The reason I said that, as with MS-8 you may not get noise issues.
Good idea mate, Iíll drop them an email and check, better yet Iíll give em a call later today. My audio will be done this time next week DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
I donít have the MS-8 Sound file CD and canít seem to locate that on their website, any pointers dude?

Re: your suggestion, I donít understand what you mean. Are you saying to basically replace the Aux-In under the armrest with another Aux-In? If not, can you please elaborate and also tell me what cable youíre referring to? Is this a fairly simple job or will it turn out expensive? Iím trying to keep costs down as install is already going to cost a shed load.

Thanks bud..
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
macck
Second Lieutenant
 
macck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

Posts: 251
iTrader: (2)

Ive had the gateway installed about six months ago just bought the blue-tooth add on few weeks back. If you dont have cd changer just get it enabled via autologic etc. Works far better than the aux cable . You can scrool playlists etc with steering wheel controls. If you get one get it installed in the front so you have your aux and i-phone cables installed in the centre arm rest.
__________________

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops// brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
macck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Ive had the gateway installed about six months ago just bought the blue-tooth add on few weeks back. If you dont have cd changer just get it enabled via autologic etc. Works far better than the aux cable . You can scrool playlists etc with steering wheel controls. If you get one get it installed in the front so you have your aux and i-phone cables installed in the centre arm rest.
Ok, thanks. When u say get it enabled via autologic, what exactly does that mean/entail? Sorry, but so much to learn LOL
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
macck
Second Lieutenant
 
macck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

Posts: 251
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Ok, thanks. When u say get it enabled via autologic, what exactly does that mean/entail? Sorry, but so much to learn LOL
Auto logic is the coding equipment my indy uses to code the car. You have to get the car coded to tell it has a CD changer. You will then go to CD on the stereo/idrive (i dont have idrive) select CD and your playlists will come up. Hope that makes sense.
__________________

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops// brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
macck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
 
AWBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macck View Post
Auto logic is the coding equipment my indy uses to code the car. You have to get the car coded to tell it has a CD changer. You will then go to CD on the stereo/idrive (i dont have idrive) select CD and your playlists will come up. Hope that makes sense.
Gotcha. What would an indy charge (roughly speaking) to code the car to this?
__________________

Now: E92 335D, Custom Cars Branded
Gone But Not Forgotten: E90 320D Alpine White
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #22
macck
Second Lieutenant
 
macck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 e92 msport
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: n.ireland

Posts: 251
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Gotcha. What would an indy charge (roughly speaking) to code the car to this?
Mine charged me 50 quid to code it. Are you near Makkan he seems to have the equipment to do the coding. Youll have to get the CD changer and the Bluetooth enabled.
__________________

blackchrome csl,s // eibach pro kit //bitstein B4s// shortened bumpstops// brembo performance brakes// jbl ms8//focal 100krs// rainbow dlx5 centre, rear//jenhert xe200//cas audio corner loaded sub// jl10v3 sub// jl xd500/3 xd400/4// technic harness// 808mguy adapters
macck is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST